Author Topic: Corey Sutton  (Read 49882 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Corey Sutton
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Football and basketball coincidentally seem to have much more restrictive paths for young talent to follow on their way to making money with that skill than every other sport.

Not basketball, just football. Basketball and hockey are pretty similar, baseball isn't terribly different.

Hockey?  I just found out a couple weeks ago that what I thought were the local minor league professional (?) hockey teams had 16-year-olds playing on it.  Maybe those kids aren't getting paid, but that would surprise me given the way it's marketed.  It's the "western hockey league" if you need to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm wrong, but football and basketball seem to be the only ones force kids into college, and thus into all those ridiculous rule systems.  Baseball'rs are only forced to stay in if they choose to go in.  I know basketball'rs as of late can go play in china or whatever instead of doing a fall semester at a college.

If you play golf or tennis or you ski or swim or whatever of that ilk, do whatever you want.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »
Football and basketball coincidentally seem to have much more restrictive paths for young talent to follow on their way to making money with that skill than every other sport.

Not basketball, just football. Basketball and hockey are pretty similar, baseball isn't terribly different.

Hockey?  I just found out a couple weeks ago that what I thought were the local minor league professional (?) hockey teams had 16-year-olds playing on it.  Maybe those kids aren't getting paid, but that would surprise me given the way it's marketed.  It's the "western hockey league" if you need to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm wrong, but football and basketball seem to be the only ones force kids into college, and thus into all those ridiculous rule systems.  Baseball'rs are only forced to stay in if they choose to go in.  I know basketball'rs as of late can go play in china or whatever instead of doing a fall semester at a college.

If you play golf or tennis or you ski or swim or whatever of that ilk, do whatever you want.

High school basketball players absolutely can go play in another league other than the NBA then get drafted. You have to be 18 to be eligible for the NHL draft, 20 if you're not a North American. The kid who will win what is their version of the rookie of the year played in Switzerland in 15-16 as a 17 year old. Those kids are playing what's called major junior hockey and in most cases aren't NHL eligible.

The NFL has no competing league anywhere in the world, hockey has non NHL leagues willing to pay kids a couple of dollars all over the world. An 18 year old can become a millionaire playing basketball anywhere he wants to, other than the NBA. You and your fellow NFL fans should point the finger right at your league and the government that has legislated the monopoly.

Of course tennis and golf have no real bearing on this conversation given they are individual sports, but it's worth noting the major leagues in those sports also have minimum entry requirements as well.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 04, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
That's a semi-pro league for 16-21 year olds.  Once you play in that league you can't play NCAA hockey.  Some of those guys are also on NHL developmental contexts.  There's 3 leagues at that level in Canada and they have a cross-league championship at the end of the year.  In Canadian areas that have those teams, they'll have followers similar to how we follow college teams, though not in the same number of people.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 04, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »
Personally, I've heard the 'darker' tales of what occured/occurs under Snyder in Vanier behind closed doors. The problem our fans have with dealing with it or believing it is we have propped Snyder up to Sainthood status who does nothing remotely wrong or questionable to his players, nor does he always treat his players fairly. The ongoing dialogue on Chris Harpers fb wall isn't surprising or really all that concerning to me. Snyder can be a raging Dick to his players and despite the public image, reallu isn't much different than any other succesful ball coach. It is what it is. I've also heard plent of positive impressions and good stories from players about their time under Snyder. But no he's not a friendly grandpa figure that always treats his kids right or does the right thing.

But again, i don't think how he truly runs his program is really that much different than most others in some regards.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
That's a semi-pro league for 16-21 year olds.  Once you play in that league you can't play NCAA hockey.  Some of those guys are also on NHL developmental contexts.  There's 3 leagues at that level in Canada and they have a cross-league championship at the end of the year.  In Canadian areas that have those teams, they'll have followers similar to how we follow college teams, though not in the same number of people.
[/quote

That's pretty much the impression I had.  So I'd say hockey is closer to baseball as far as a path around college and to getting paid for services.  Basketball's starting to have more options, but with most being overseas, something that probably doesn't feel like a realistic option to many.  I'd say football is worst, with basketball a level not as bad, and everything else way easier for prospects to avoid being forced playing for free in college if they don't want to.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
Lamark wasn't granted a release until going before review board.

Sutton was being a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
Lamark wasn't granted a release until going before review board.

Sutton was being a dick

Sutton had already gone before the review board.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
Oh, I misread

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
I am  :lol:  at the people going on to the FB thread to tell the guys who actually played how wrong they are.

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
I am  :lol:  at the people going on to the FB thread to tell the guys who actually played how wrong they are.

Some of it yes. But on flip side some of those players are acting like because they hated it, everyone did/does..

Bryce Brown chirping off about how horrible it was is a joke. That kid was unbelievably lazy and wanted everything handed to him and then went off the rails when Hubert started over him. I don't really care how mistreated he felt he was, there are still two sides to everything and Brown has his own crap he probably doesn't want people airing about him. Again, not trying to defend Snyder. Some other comments, especially Diles comments make you just shake your head at Snyder. But like I said, I've heard a lot of these types of stories about Snyder that don't make him out to be the classiest coach in America as some fans religously proclaim. On the other hand I've heard of plenty of things that Snyder does do right for his players and just in general. I think he's a goofd man, but also just that .....a man, like anyone else has a lot of flaws and can be incredibly difficult to work/play for and yes can be a giant ahole

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »

That's pretty accurate but juniors is not semi pro, the North American semi pro leagues are the AHL, ECHL, FHL, NAHL, and SPHL. Juniors are 16-20 and they are separate from the previously mentioned North American pro hockey structure. In fact North American junior hockey has it's own hierarchy the three leagues spoke of, WHL (league that trim is talking about), CHL, and QMJHL are the major leagues and the two USHL and NAHL are a step lower and they retain college eligibility. You mentioned the players on NHL developmental contracts but there are some on full blown NHL contracts.

Anyway, were all talking around the same thing, the NCAA is not the enemy, in this case anyway, and there's no racist structure holding down the poor black kids who want to make some cash; well no one but the NFL anyway.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »

That's pretty accurate but juniors is not semi pro, the North American semi pro leagues are the AHL, ECHL, FHL, NAHL, and SPHL. Juniors are 16-20 and they are separate from the previously mentioned North American pro hockey structure. In fact North American junior hockey has it's own hierarchy the three leagues spoke of, WHL (league that trim is talking about), CHL, and QMJHL are the major leagues and the two USHL and NAHL are a step lower and they retain college eligibility. You mentioned the players on NHL developmental contracts but there are some on full blown NHL contracts.

Anyway, were all talking around the same thing, the NCAA is not the enemy, in this case anyway, and there's no racist structure holding down the poor black kids who want to make some cash; well no one but the NFL anyway.

Interesting.  My statement was purely off a conversation I had with an ECHL player in Tulsa.  I asked him how he ended up in Tulsa.  He said he played for Moose Jaw in that league & called it semi-pro.  I mostly remembered because of Moose Jaw.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2017, 11:47:32 PM »

Some of it yes. But on flip side some of those players are acting like because they hated it, everyone did/does..

Bryce Brown chirping off about how horrible it was is a joke. That kid was unbelievably lazy and wanted everything handed to him and then went off the rails when Hubert started over him. I don't really care how mistreated he felt he was, there are still two sides to everything and Brown has his own crap he probably doesn't want people airing about him. Again, not trying to defend Snyder. Some other comments, especially Diles comments make you just shake your head at Snyder. But like I said, I've heard a lot of these types of stories about Snyder that don't make him out to be the classiest coach in America as some fans religously proclaim. On the other hand I've heard of plenty of things that Snyder does do right for his players and just in general. I think he's a goofd man, but also just that .....a man, like anyone else has a lot of flaws and can be incredibly difficult to work/play for and yes can be a giant ahole

Well, thanks for all of that.  We've talked about these things for a long time, and how LHC Bill Snyder, like so many successful college coaches has people conned.   There's no doubt that he's generally a good dude, but I also know, and we've seen he can be a ridiculously over-the-top DB. Holding guys rent checks, causing undue hardship on players, withholding awards, purposely (IMO) not promoting players more when they deserve it, is not cool.   There's also a very hardcore "you're not really hurt" culture inside K-State football with Snyder and this staff, it's very old school.     

Offline 09emaw

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »
 Bryce Brown was/is a Prima Donna so I really take no stock in anything he says. Many of the players and coaches I have talked to don't exactly paint the most flattering picture of Snyder. That being said, I have known many former players at different universities and very few have flattering things to say about their coaches absent that they made me the best player I could be. The coaches have a job to do, I'm in no way advocating for mistreatment, but they're not there to be friends either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2017, 01:31:07 AM »

Interesting.  My statement was purely off a conversation I had with an ECHL player in Tulsa.  I asked him how he ended up in Tulsa.  He said he played for Moose Jaw in that league & called it semi-pro.  I mostly remembered because of Moose Jaw.

Oilers, gross. He must have aged out of major juniors. I believe at that point they're just free agents.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »

I hate FB so I'm probably doing something wrong but I don't see any comments from Diles, Sams, Chapman or Guidry. I see the ones from Snipes, Brown, Harper, etc but I don't see them all. Would someone mind screen-shotting anything interesting?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »

I hate FB so I'm probably doing something wrong but I don't see any comments from Diles, Sams, Chapman or Guidry. I see the ones from Snipes, Brown, Harper, etc but I don't see them all. Would someone mind screen-shotting anything interesting?

adorable

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Nevermind I'm a dumbass.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
As soon as the term "slavemaster" was tweeted I was #TeamSnyder. Regardless, I will always be in love with Snyd's...

Gtfo prima donna
Sutton is a moron.

Yessa masta, he'a betta know his place betta

oh good grief MIR.

You guys, not just you two but people in general, have this hang up on slavery analogies. I mean I understand why you guys do, but the hang up exists nonetheless.

Obviously, the dude isn't a slave and Snyder isn't a slave master, obviously. However, I'd be curious to know of another situation where a group of people perform physical tasks for free or well below market rate, while the person they perform them for achieve maximum profits but the person performing the tasks have little to no freedom of movement. The NLOI program and NCAA's transfer rules absolutely have elements of indentured servitude, not sorry that makes you uncomfortable. It is an embarrassment that there is a system in place that restricts student athletes from getting scholarships from whomever wants to give them one. It's even more of an embarrassment that our football coach, who claims to be a champion of young people, put his personal interests ahead of what is clearly the right thing to do.

CF3 you called him an idiot because he clumsily defended himself against a man 55 years his senior that is treated like he's a supreme being in the world these two guys live in. Should he have just shut his mouth and stay in his lane? If he would have done that it seems like he would have never gotten the release he deserved to get.

I called him a moron because a lot of his beef seemed to be about playing time, and had he studied the program for one second he would've known that outside of a few players like Tyler Lockett, freshmen don't get to play much. A clumsy defense is a great way of putting it. It obviously made Snyder and Coleman look worse, but Sutton came off as whiny, that's all I was saying.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:36 PM »
As soon as the term "slavemaster" was tweeted I was #TeamSnyder. Regardless, I will always be in love with Snyd's...

Gtfo prima donna
Sutton is a moron.

Yessa masta, he'a betta know his place betta

oh good grief MIR.

You guys, not just you two but people in general, have this hang up on slavery analogies. I mean I understand why you guys do, but the hang up exists nonetheless.

Obviously, the dude isn't a slave and Snyder isn't a slave master, obviously. However, I'd be curious to know of another situation where a group of people perform physical tasks for free or well below market rate, while the person they perform them for achieve maximum profits but the person performing the tasks have little to no freedom of movement. The NLOI program and NCAA's transfer rules absolutely have elements of indentured servitude, not sorry that makes you uncomfortable. It is an embarrassment that there is a system in place that restricts student athletes from getting scholarships from whomever wants to give them one. It's even more of an embarrassment that our football coach, who claims to be a champion of young people, put his personal interests ahead of what is clearly the right thing to do.

CF3 you called him an idiot because he clumsily defended himself against a man 55 years his senior that is treated like he's a supreme being in the world these two guys live in. Should he have just shut his mouth and stay in his lane? If he would have done that it seems like he would have never gotten the release he deserved to get.

I called him a moron because a lot of his beef seemed to be about playing time, and had he studied the program for one second he would've known that outside of a few players like Tyler Lockett, freshmen don't get to play much. A clumsy defense is a great way of putting it. It obviously made Snyder and Coleman look worse, but Sutton came off as whiny, that's all I was saying.

I didn't get the same impression about playing time but, he did get passed on the depth chart the spring before his sophomore season, that isn't good. Lockett or anyone else has no bearing on his situation, not the least bit relevant.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
Whose Facebook page?

Offline 09emaw

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »