Author Topic: Oscar and the new AD  (Read 14954 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oscar and the new AD
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
He will be extended, paid about the same, and it will cost about the same to fire him.  All of it is just to ensure he has some appearance of stability in order to recruit.

Yeah, even if that stability is an illusion, athletics admin generally is going to follow similar procedures. It is what it is, but there is no reason to question Taylor because of this.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar and the new AD
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
I wish people would quit implying that oscar's ability to recruit is better than his ability to coach

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
He will be extended, paid about the same, and it will cost about the same to fire him.  All of it is just to ensure he has some appearance of stability in order to recruit.

Yeah, even if that stability is an illusion, athletics admin generally is going to follow similar procedures. It is what it is, but there is no reason to question Taylor because of this.

Could hold out hope that the extended years are lower base and higher in incentives really just easier to cut your losses later.   :crossfingers:
Maybe but if they go too far in that direction, they might as well fire him

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
Bunch of low-mediums losing their crap about a meaningless extension. Chicat is apparently the only non-dumbass analyzing this situation. This is not a long-term commitment to oscar, regardless of your stance on whether that would be good or bad. They are protecting their asset by making sure that the cupboard is not completely bare when Oscar inevitably parts ways with K-State. They will support Oscar publicly until the day that they fire Oscar publicly. This isn't hard.

Doing this now, in this manner for recruiting, doesn't hold water. If they were interested in the '17 recruits went why wait so long? This was clearly Myers decision, so if the recruits were so important why leave oscar publicly twisting with his job status for two weeks, then wait another three to leak, not even formally announce, an extension? As for the '18 recruits, we don't even have a scholarship opening up for '18 right now.

Stop acting like this is s.o.p. even if the contract is, the way this has been handled certainly isn't and should be scrutinized.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
No base salary raise and only incentive raises then :don'tcare:

Yep.

Give him 2.05 mil (same as this year) and incentives for a top 3 Big 12 and/or round of 32.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
If a recruit is smart enough to look at their prospective coaches contract situation before signing you would think they would be smart enough to realize that an extension is just a game played because it is perceived to help recruiting but is actually meaningless in regards to job security.  Right?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
If a recruit is smart enough to look at their prospective coaches contract situation before signing you would think they would be smart enough to realize that an extension is just a game played because it is perceived to help recruiting but is actually meaningless in regards to job security.  Right?

I think that is why Laird gave oscar a vote of confidence.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Right?

Right.

I assume that any recruit that agrees to play for oscar's 'cats has no other options at this level and/or is pretty stupid anyway.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
I mean, if he hasn't been fired yet, it should be clear to everyone that he will be here as long as he feels like it. Might as well give him the contract.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »
Summary statement: Kansas State Men's Basketball is in a world of hurt for the foreseeable future. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:39 PM »
I mean, if he hasn't been fired yet, it should be clear to everyone that he will be here as long as he feels like it. Might as well give him the contract.

It still isn't clear to many people on this board that oscar doesn't have to do much to keep his job

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
They don't call this place dumbasscity.com for nothing

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
No base salary raise and only incentive raises then :don'tcare:

Yep.

Give him 2.05 mil (same as this year) and incentives for a top 3 Big 12 and/or round of 32.

Why not just give a small raise for appearance stake.

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:55 AM »
Myers should be impeached.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2017, 01:26:23 AM »
So who in the hell is he, Oscar, recruiting that warranted giving him an extension to make it look like he is going to be here until he croaks.  No one shows us in the running for anybody.  Even knotheads are choosing other programs.  That Raynere Thornton guy chose Memphis over us.  That like choosing sex with your grandma rather than choosing KState Bessy.   Everyone is having hot flashes and big Oscargasms about last year's record, but forget the noncon puds.  I still get ill thinking about the Oklahoma game.  I guess I am dirt stupid.  In RenoCounty you don't get rewarded for doing crap work.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:48:48 AM by renocat »

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:58 AM »
Bunch of low-mediums losing their crap about a meaningless extension. Chicat is apparently the only non-dumbass analyzing this situation. This is not a long-term commitment to oscar, regardless of your stance on whether that would be good or bad. They are protecting their asset by making sure that the cupboard is not completely bare when Oscar inevitably parts ways with K-State. They will support Oscar publicly until the day that they fire Oscar publicly. This isn't hard.

Doing this now, in this manner for recruiting, doesn't hold water. If they were interested in the '17 recruits went why wait so long? This was clearly Myers decision, so if the recruits were so important why leave oscar publicly twisting with his job status for two weeks, then wait another three to leak, not even formally announce, an extension? As for the '18 recruits, we don't even have a scholarship opening up for '18 right now.

Stop acting like this is s.o.p. even if the contract is, the way this has been handled certainly isn't and should be scrutinized.

I agree that it could have been handled better, but basketball recruiting begins the summer after a player's sophomore year. How is the staff supposed to recruit the '19 class without this extension?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

Oh, I'm not saying K-State executed it correctly, I just think it's what we're attempting to do.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »

It still isn't clear to many people on this board that oscar doesn't have to do much to keep his job

There's a pretty strong contingent of r-tards on this board who think oscar and Woolridge have had equally successful tenures at k-state.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »

There's a pretty strong contingent of r-tards on this board who think oscar and Woolridge have had equally successful tenures at k-state.

No there isn't (although so far they've won an equal amount of ncaa tourney games)

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
Oscar and the new AD
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
This is bullshit. I don't know wtf they are considering "extending" him, but there's no good reason imo. No recruit worth his dick will want to come play for this nightmare of a program that isn't getting BETTER, it's stalling out and getting WORSE. Mediocre to poor coaches (and programs) do not get top recruits.
The best approach to a gangrenous limb is to cut it off and get to the healing.
Good Lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:06:00 PM by grainer »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
Who you hiring right this second, grainer?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »
i hate oscar but can we not call a team that won a play-in game a "nightmare program"? seems a bit dramatic.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
Who you hiring right this second, grainer?
eric musselman at Nevada might come for the $2M we are paying oscar - he just hired ex LSU HC Johnny Jones who is a super connected guy in DFW

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
bonus points for the gangrenous limb take tho

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
oscar has improved two seasons in a row.