Author Topic: If you want to talk about the game against Wake Forest  (Read 9066 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If you want to talk about the game against Wake Forest
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
Some more players stats and probably a more accurate assessment of what guys can do. Only stats from kenpom Tier A games (Top 50, adjusted to home/road).

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
Wake Forest playing well, although they did lose in the tourney to Virginia Tech.  Recent performance similar to the 'Cats, right down to a recent win over a top 10 team (beat Lousville March 1)

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
when we lose to these guys..and oscar keeps his job.... #burnitdown

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
bookcat get out of here

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
what are we guessing wake forests 3pt% is going to be against the cats?
I'm gonna guess 45%

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »
what are we guessing wake forests 3pt% is going to be against the cats?
I'm gonna guess 45%

<40%. I'm rolling the dice here.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 12:10:51 PM »
Wake went 3-7 vs ACC tourney teams. All top 50 RPI games. 5 games vs Elite seeds (2x vs Duke, 1x UNC, Lville, FSU). 5 games (2x vs VT, 1x vs Virginia, ND, Mia). Most of the games were competitive. They won by 17, lost by 16,17....But the other 7 games were single digit margins.

Looking at the box scores, Wake's defense really struggled in these games. Now there are some good offenses in that group. They allowed 58.5% eFG and about 1.25 PPP in those 10 games.

At the same time, their offense was pretty good. Putting up about 1.20 PPP themselves. Not sure what to detect from all that. Our Defense will be challenged

They played 4 other games vs Top 100 ACC Opponents. Beat Pitt by 4 at home. Then lost to Clemson 2x and at the Cuse.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
they score a lot, we don't score a lot and our defense sucks assnuts, we lose by triple digits to the deacons

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
Advantage Cats if this thing comes down to a half court trick shot.

https://twitter.com/StlVUFan/status/841426732666228737

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Posted from another board from a UNC fan.

Check out point #5.  We are doomed

UNC fan here; I can't ever remember being this excited about a play-in game. There are so many great storylines in this game, and I genuinely think the winner has a chance to continue in the tournament after this game. Personally, I am rooting for the winner of this game to make a run to the Elite Eight.
In case you are interested, I will add a few details about Wake Forest (which is not far down the road from where I live, so I know a bit about their program):
First, in a conference with a whopping 15 teams and with many good squads full of NBA talent, John Collins was the best player. He finished second in voting and didn't win ACC POY (my man, Justin Jackson did), but that was only because Wake finished 10th in the conference. However, Collins is a one man wrecking crew. Key: get him in foul trouble.
Wake is an extremely good offensive team; we are talking a top 10 offense per Kenpom. Collins is an exceptional passer if you double him down low, and they have several good three point shooters (including a stretch four) to make you pay after the pass. As far as getting the ball to Collins, they have guards who are good at entry passes into the post if you front him, and he has suction cups on his hands to snatch the ball. You also can't double him until he has the ball because - as mentioned earlier - they have several good shooters who can light it up from deep (they shoot about 39% from three as a team). In addition, they can be a dynamic team on the fast break with several capable finishers among the guards if you don't get back on D.
While they have a strong offense, Wake is not as balanced on offense and defense as K State. In fact, they are downright terrible on D. They played better the last few weeks which helped them sneak into the NCAA tournament, but one of the reasons they often have high scoring games is they let the other team score so easily! What you want to do is beat their guards and get Collins in foul trouble; he tries to block shots and cover for his defense when the guards get beat, and he is prone to taking himself out of the game as a result.
They are very young in key spots, and they don't have NCAA experience. This could be a big boost for K State who has enjoyed a pretty healthy share of seasons reaching the NCAA tournament under oscar Weber.
One quirky data point for this game; Wake Forest is extremely good at coming back when they fall behind. They were behind by double digits in all three of their final games before VT, and they came back and won them (including down 19 to two seed Louisville), so hopefully you guys have a team that is good at maintaining leads, because Wake Forest is not a team that dies easily.
Prediction: I think it is a toss up on paper, and quite frankly I don't know enough about Kansas State to know how they match up. Both teams are better than their record and underseeded per Kenpom, so I think it will be a good game either way. Best wishes to the winner for a long tourney run!
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
Wake let VTech come back in that game and ended up losing by 9. All of that is irrelevant.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
I don't see us jumping out to any kind of a substantial lead, so joke's on them.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
Wake Favorited by 1 on Brovada. Easy $. Take the cats!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
betting on oscar to win a play-in game is not easy nor smart

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:21 AM »
guys I don't want to talk about wake forest anymore.. what else do you want to talk about?
I just realized that I have tickets at McCain to see the shaolin warriors and am going to miss all of the first half probs.. So lets talk about something else

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
guys I don't want to talk about wake forest anymore.. what else do you want to talk about?
I just realized that I have tickets at McCain to see the shaolin warriors and am going to miss all of the first half probs.. So lets talk about something else

Start your own thread.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
betting on oscar to win a play-in game is not easy nor smart
He's actually won me some $ this year. Started out with $30 in my account and i'm  up to $200. I understand your concern however. Making a small $10 bet here.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »

its like mortal kombat over here fan

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
The line just moved big time in K-State's direction.  Anyone have any clue why?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Dan Bilzerian just put a lot of scrilla on the Cats.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »
Keys:

1) Cats need to win the TO battle. Wake isn't a dominant rebounding team, but with their bigs they probably win that. We aren't likely to outshoot them (if we do we win big), but we can win TO%, hopefully by 3-5%. Wake doesn't turn people over at all and while they don't turn it over much, most defenses in the AAC aren't forcing TOs at a high rate.

2) Claws. This is a game where Wade could score it because he's not going to be guarded like he was vs Baylor or WVU. Wake is a finesse defensive team at best and I think Wade thrives in those games. I expect at least 15 tonight from him and if we don't get that we're likely in trouble.

3) eFG%% differential. Wake has hit 40% or better their last 4 games. Barry and Kam have been extremely inconsistent in Big 12 play, so a lot could ride on one or the other hitting shots (see Baylor). 2PT% will likely be about even. I still worry about our 3PT defense being a detriment as it has all year, but if we can contain them and hit perimeter shots ourselves we will win.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »

its like mortal kombat over here fan

Scam.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
In Wake 9 road and 2 neutral ACC games...
They allowed 56.0% on 2pt, 40.0% on 3pt, 57.7 on eFG
The only game that a team did not hit 55.0 on eFG was BC in the ACC tourney.
40% of the shots teams took were from 3, and Wake allowed 9.6 3PT makes per game

LeDay, a PF from VTech had 55 pts on 17-25 FG in those 2 late March games.  We need to get DJamer/Dean going early and often.

They are going to score on us. We must be able to get good shots ourselves. And I agree that the TO differ could be 1 factor we need to win.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
Keys:

1) Cats need to win the TO battle. Wake isn't a dominant rebounding team, but with their bigs they probably win that. We aren't likely to outshoot them (if we do we win big), but we can win TO%, hopefully by 3-5%. Wake doesn't turn people over at all and while they don't turn it over much, most defenses in the AAC aren't forcing TOs at a high rate.

2) Claws. This is a game where Wade could score it because he's not going to be guarded like he was vs Baylor or WVU. Wake is a finesse defensive team at best and I think Wade thrives in those games. I expect at least 15 tonight from him and if we don't get that we're likely in trouble.

3) eFG%% differential. Wake has hit 40% or better their last 4 games. Barry and Kam have been extremely inconsistent in Big 12 play, so a lot could ride on one or the other hitting shots (see Baylor). 2PT% will likely be about even. I still worry about our 3PT defense being a detriment as it has all year, but if we can contain them and hit perimeter shots ourselves we will win.

Seems like you and MiR both put a lot of this game's weight on Wade.  Any other match up you see giving us trouble or that could be a bright spot for us?  You said they were finesse defensive team with low turn over %.  Do you think this will be a time for our guards to shine in an unexpected way?  Do we have any comparison to a team we've already played?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
Keys:

Seems like you and MiR both put a lot of this game's weight on Wade.  Any other match up you see giving us trouble or that could be a bright spot for us?  You said they were finesse defensive team with low turn over %.  Do you think this will be a time for our guards to shine in an unexpected way?  Do we have any comparison to a team we've already played?

Similar in style to a OSU/ISU/KU, but not as much talent. I think Crawford is a good guard, but he's not Evans/Morris/Mason. Collins is very good, maybe comparable to Motley from Baylor. I don't think they have a lot after that (Woods looks decent), so not the dynamic range of scorers like OSU has in Evans/Carroll/Forte or ISU with their many scorers and clearly not KU talent.

I said Wade because I think its a good match up for him. Wake doesn't look like an overly physical team which is what gives him the most trouble.

I'm hopeful that Brown or Stokes can play really well and hit shots, I think one or the other has a good shot too. Frankly, Stokes is due, TCU is his only good game since mid-February.

Westicles is an interesting match up for them. Hopefully he can inside their defense and create a bit.

Hopefully we can get DJamer involved. Collins will be an interesting defensive match-up for him, but he played well in the 3 games against Baylor who is a much better shot blocking team.

Then we have the wildcards who have played well in Maurice and Ervin lately and maybe this is a game where Sneed breaks out of his funk and hits 3 treys or something.