Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 159959 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #650 on: November 27, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
schiano accomplished a lot more at rutgers than mangino at ku

Based on....

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 27, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
schiano accomplished a lot more at rutgers than mangino at ku

I don't know, that's pretty subjective, considering that Miami and Virginia Tech (who were kingpins in the Big East) left in 2004 to go to the ACC. 

Ironically, after Miami and VT left the Big East, that's when Schiano started winning against lesser fodders, and they still didn't win a Big East Crown and didn't win a BCS bowl, whereas Mangino had that one season where everything that went well for KU, did.  And Mangino did win a BCS bowl (Orange).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 27, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »
Rutgers was one of the worst programs in the country when Schiano went there. They had likely replaced K-State by that point as the worst FBS program in the history of college football with one bowl appearance in their history. Granted, they had only moved from being an Independent to the Big East in the early 90s. He had arguably their best season ever and maybe their best stretch of football ever. Again, his Rutgers stretch is very similar to what Mangino did at KU, minus getting pushed out for being too tough on players.

Agreed.

Totally agree as well. Now imagine how upset vol fans would be if it was leaked out over the weekend that Currie was in the process of hiring the guy that was fat and got fired at KU a few years ago.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Schiano as a head coach at Tennessee (nor would I for K-State). I'm just saying the overall winning % point at a school like Rutgers isn't the best talking point. I'd say not maintaining it and the fact that program was starting to falter a bit when he escaped to the NFL is a better justification to not hire him along with all the rumors of how he treats his players.

totally agree and don't at all think you were advocating for him. i do think that that schiano's big east win percentage should have kept him out of the running for that job though, in the same way that webers overall big10 win percentage should have kept him out of our bball job. if i was a UT fan, schiano and mangino are the same to me and i can't imagine being ok with either.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
Currie has to hire Tee Martin now

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 27, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
What really gets me is that this ADJC is nothing like the one portrayed in this site.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 27, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
When Frank left there was a high donor that bounced around the top 3 on the Ahearn Fund rankings that wanted no public recognition for their money.  Most wouldn't know his name.  The night we hired Weber, I saw a text message from him.  He was given no warning that Frank was leaving & found out from friends with Twitter that oscar was being hired.

I missed this during the mass hysteria.  What was his reaction?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 27, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
When Frank left there was a high donor that bounced around the top 3 on the Ahearn Fund rankings that wanted no public recognition for their money.  Most wouldn't know his name.  The night we hired Weber, I saw a text message from him.  He was given no warning that Frank was leaving & found out from friends with Twitter that oscar was being hired.

I don't know the guy.  I just read a text that said he wasn't involved in any of it.  Anything more would be speculation.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 27, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »

I don't know the guy.  I was with people that regularly sat in his suite & used his court side seats at basketball games.  I read a text to them the day Weber was hired.  It read like he wasn't thrilled he wasn't at least given a heads up.  I don't know much, just giving a small bit of insite into how the Frank/oscar transition happened.

Fair enough. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
This is all just the best case of schadenfreude I've had in a long, long time.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
goEMAW has suffered from a lack of shadenfreude for a few years now.  Lets hope it's turning around.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »
Just read that Monday Night Raw was in Knoxville tonight and there was a Fire Currie chant :lol:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
Cutcliffe from Duke said no to Tennessee....again. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 27, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »
Apparently VolNation is clamoring for the return of Lane Kiffin. Would he take it?

Also I'm sure this is probably a Luke but I haven't really been keeping up with the thread today, so on the off chance that it hasn't been posted, here's Currie's statement.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:01:40 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:41 PM »
I'm perusing VolNation.com's BBS right now and it is highly entertaining.

Not surprisingly, a guy with this as his avatar

posted this:

My first chance to post since the weekend... How can we believe this guy after all that has gone down this weekend? He said he would pour all his energy into the search, but I read he signed the MOU that day after Butch was fired. So all this BS about vetting and contacting other coaches was just that..BS. That's why he was able to take in the basketball tourney without a care in the world.. What a snake!! I read an article about the "Light going out at Neyland" the other day. It was to the point and had some stuff in there that we won't get past for a long time. This hire will have to be a serious one. To be honest I don't know how a coach could trust anyone in the administration right now. The article stated we fired a hall of fame coach with a championship ring. That will be ringing in every potential hires head for years to come. We need to stop being so cheap and pay up if the program is that important. My Vols football helmet hanging on my cubicle wall is now upside down till this crap gets straightened out because our University of Tennessee is under distress. I hope we can right the ship and rescue our once proud program.... Heaven help us all.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 27, 2017, 11:59:09 PM »
Rutgers was one of the worst programs in the country when Schiano went there. They had likely replaced K-State by that point as the worst FBS program in the history of college football with one bowl appearance in their history. Granted, they had only moved from being an Independent to the Big East in the early 90s. He had arguably their best season ever and maybe their best stretch of football ever. Again, his Rutgers stretch is very similar to what Mangino did at KU, minus getting pushed out for being too tough on players.

Agreed.

Totally agree as well. Now imagine how upset vol fans would be if it was leaked out over the weekend that Currie was in the process of hiring the guy that was fat and got fired at KU a few years ago.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Schiano as a head coach at Tennessee (nor would I for K-State). I'm just saying the overall winning % point at a school like Rutgers isn't the best talking point. I'd say not maintaining it and the fact that program was starting to falter a bit when he escaped to the NFL is a better justification to not hire him along with all the rumors of how he treats his players.

this is all fair. i think there is also a fair point that schiano shouldn't be a head coach anywhere and is probably a total bad person who covered for a pedophile.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 28, 2017, 01:51:19 AM »

Agreed.

and is probably a total bad person who covered for a pedophile.

There is no more a basis to make that claim about him than it is about you.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 28, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
I'm perusing VolNation.com's BBS right now and it is highly entertaining.

Not surprisingly, a guy with this as his avatar

posted this:

My first chance to post since the weekend... How can we believe this guy after all that has gone down this weekend? He said he would pour all his energy into the search, but I read he signed the MOU that day after Butch was fired. So all this BS about vetting and contacting other coaches was just that..BS. That's why he was able to take in the basketball tourney without a care in the world.. What a snake!! I read an article about the "Light going out at Neyland" the other day. It was to the point and had some stuff in there that we won't get past for a long time. This hire will have to be a serious one. To be honest I don't know how a coach could trust anyone in the administration right now. The article stated we fired a hall of fame coach with a championship ring. That will be ringing in every potential hires head for years to come. We need to stop being so cheap and pay up if the program is that important. My Vols football helmet hanging on my cubicle wall is now upside down till this crap gets straightened out because our University of Tennessee is under distress. I hope we can right the ship and rescue our once proud program.... Heaven help us all.

Please Heaven, help Tennessee!!

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »

Agreed.

and is probably a total bad person who covered for a pedophile.

There is no more a basis to make that claim about him than it is about you.

C'mon pvegs.  Did you even read the article I posted?

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/934965508872507392