Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 161441 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #625 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
BTW, would Tennessee really be more excited for Campbell vs. Schiano? (assuming Schiano wasn't associated with child rape cover up)

Campbell had some nice wins but goddam he's 7-5 this year.

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
I might have missed it in the fast paced discussion in this thread but has anything else come out in regards to UT having to pay schiano despite not hiring him?
TBD but we will have to pay him. I think Schiano is preparing to file suit against UT.

I doubt UT will pay for anything based on the memorandum of understanding in place between them and Schiano. The point of the memo is to not be a legally binding agreement, but instead a basis from which to proceed. Usually the first sentence in a MOU says something to the effect of "...this is not a legally binding agreement..."

I haven't done any research but what interests me is the question of what liability UT may have for the rock writings which were clearly inaccurate and defaming. UT will argue that the rock is an element of free speech and they have no control over it (those pesky students did it). The question is going to be should they have had control and could they have taken control of it sooner so as to not be ruinous to Schiano's future.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 27, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Watching JC crash and burn at Tennessee makes me happy. Sure the fans are crazy, but I wish we had that kind of passion in our fan base.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 27, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
I might have missed it in the fast paced discussion in this thread but has anything else come out in regards to UT having to pay schiano despite not hiring him?
TBD but we will have to pay him. I think Schiano is preparing to file suit against UT.

I doubt UT will pay for anything based on the memorandum of understanding in place between them and Schiano. The point of the memo is to not be a legally binding agreement, but instead a basis from which to proceed. Usually the first sentence in a MOU says something to the effect of "...this is not a legally binding agreement..."

I haven't done any research but what interests me is the question of what liability UT may have for the rock writings which were clearly inaccurate and defaming. UT will argue that the rock is an element of free speech and they have no control over it (those pesky students did it). The question is going to be should they have had control and could they have taken control of it sooner so as to not be ruinous to Schiano's future.

Here's a good breakdown of the potential financial/legal ramifications of the deal.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/26/greg-schiano-tennessee-volunteers-memorandum-understanding

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 27, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
BTW, would Tennessee really be more excited for Campbell vs. Schiano? (assuming Schiano wasn't associated with child rape cover up)

While he was 7-5, his coaching history supports the winner aspect.  He coached for Toledo and was consistently winning there.

2011 Toledo 1–0 (interim)
2012 Toledo 9–4 (6–2 Conference)
2013 Toledo 7–5 (5–3 Conference)
2014 Toledo 9–4 (7–1 Conference)
2015 Toledo 9–2 (6–2 Conference)

Lets not forget that Iowa State in his first year was 3-9 (2-7 conference play) before improving to 7-5 (5-4 conference play).  On top of that, they did upset two Top 25 teams and gave the 3rd one a run for their money.

Granted, I can see the 1-4 ending a bad taste, but the other side is that he only has been here two years, and still is filling out his roster with his own type of players/recruits.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 27, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

While he was 7-5, his coaching history supports the winner aspect.  He coached for Toledo and was consistently winning there.

Lets not forget that Iowa State in his first year was 3-9 (2-7 conference play) before improving to 7-5 (5-4 conference play).  On top of that, they did upset two Top 25 teams and gave the 3rd one a run for their money.

Granted, I can see the 1-4 ending a bad taste, but the other side is that he only has been here two years, and still is filling out his roster with his own type of players/recruits.

Yeah I can look up his wikipedia page, too, which is how I came to my conclusion that UT fans wouldn't feel much better about hiring Campbell than Schiano. Cambpell's like Butch Jones with a thinner resume.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 27, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
When Frank left there was a high donor that bounced around the top 3 on the Ahearn Fund rankings that wanted no public recognition for their money.  Most wouldn't know his name.  The night we hired Weber, I saw a text message from him.  He was given no warning that Frank was leaving & found out from friends with Twitter that oscar was being hired.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 27, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
When Frank left there was a high donor that bounced around the top 3 on the Ahearn Fund rankings that wanted no public recognition for their money.  Most wouldn't know his name.  The night we hired Weber, I saw a text message from him.  He was given no warning that Frank was leaving & found out from friends with Twitter that oscar was being hired.
Sounds familiar

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 27, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »

Yeah I can look up his wikipedia page, too, which is how I came to my conclusion that UT fans wouldn't feel much better about hiring Campbell than Schiano. Cambpell's like Butch Jones with a thinner resume.

Iowa State's roster is still a mess, he really did a good job with this roster. Unlike Schiano and Butch, Campbell seems to not polarizing but outside of this I do feel like Schiano and Campbell are similar styled coaches. Both rely on defense and run heavy offenses. Both seem to be good recruiters and have the ability to put together a good staff. Campbell is pretty big on religion which would play well with the UT fan base too. They're similar but I do think Campbell is a better personality fit.

I doesn't seem like they're getting him either though, so maybe on to Whitten :dunno:

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 27, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »

That's fair, but I wouldn't put him on the Butch Jones label yet, because I didn't see anything that warrants that merit, albeit a thinner resume. 

Schiano winning % = .503
Campbell winning % = .608

Campbell also performed better in conference record as well in terms of winning percentage.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 27, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »

That's fair, but I wouldn't put him on the Butch Jones label yet, because I didn't see anything that warrants that merit, albeit a thinner resume. 

Schiano winning % = .503

Campbell also performed better in conference record as well in terms of winning percentage.

what was jones' winning percentage when UT hired him

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 27, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
There seems to be a little bit of scuttlebutt that the AFCA is not happy with what happened yesterday. Also worth noting that Schiano is a Jimmy Sexton client and if you count Schiano that's four straight Sexton clients Tennessee has fired. If they piss the AFCA and Jimmy Sexton off they may need a NFL player to fill that vacancy.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
There seems to be a little bit of scuttlebutt that the AFCA is not happy with what happened yesterday. Also worth noting that Schiano is a Jimmy Sexton client and if you count Schiano that's four straight Sexton clients Tennessee has fired. If they piss the AFCA and Jimmy Sexton off they may need a NFL player to fill that vacancy.

:lol:

https://twitter.com/bower_power7/status/935207038837248000

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 27, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »

Schiano winning % = .503

what was jones' winning percentage when UT hired him

I get your point on the Jones label in terms of the W/L standpoint.  I just do not see Campbell as a Jones type of a person.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 27, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

Listened to Staples this morning.  He insinuated that Sexton has some reporters he leaks stuff to & it's known who those reporters are.  They're also the ones leading the offensive against Tennessee.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 27, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Rutgers was one of the worst programs in the country when Schiano went there. They had likely replaced K-State by that point as the worst FBS program in the history of college football with one bowl appearance in their history. Granted, they had only moved from being an Independent to the Big East in the early 90s. He had arguably their best season ever and maybe their best stretch of football ever. Again, his Rutgers stretch is very similar to what Mangino did at KU, minus getting pushed out for being too tough on players.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Rutgers was one of the worst programs in the country when Schiano went there. They had likely replaced K-State by that point as the worst FBS program in the history of college football with one bowl appearance in their history. Granted, they had only moved from being an Independent to the Big East in the early 90s. He had arguably their best season ever and maybe their best stretch of football ever. Again, his Rutgers stretch is very similar to what Mangino did at KU, minus getting pushed out for being too tough on players.

Agreed.  Do you think the Big East is better, on par, or worse when comparing to the Big 12 during those times when both Mangino and Schiano coached?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:54:28 PM by WildcatPower »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 27, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »

Agreed.

Totally agree as well. Now imagine how upset vol fans would be if it was leaked out over the weekend that Currie was in the process of hiring the guy that was fat and got fired at KU a few years ago.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 27, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
schiano accomplished a lot more at rutgers than mangino at ku

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 27, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »

Agreed.

Totally agree as well. Now imagine how upset vol fans would be if it was leaked out over the weekend that Currie was in the process of hiring the guy that was fat and got fired at KU a few years ago.

Well, in my opinion, I don't think it would even come close to that, because Mangino has connections to Snyder.  I think that alone disqualifies him (in the eyes of Currie) because it's reasonable to think that if Currie actually did talk to Mangino and offered the job, Mangino may or may not have called Bill to get the scoop (I'm under the assumption that Mangino and Bill are in talking terms, obviously) of what it was like to work for Currie and whatnot.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »

Agreed.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Schiano as a head coach at Tennessee (nor would I for K-State). I'm just saying the overall winning % point at a school like Rutgers isn't the best talking point. I'd say not maintaining it and the fact that program was starting to falter a bit when he escaped to the NFL is a better justification to not hire him along with all the rumors of how he treats his players.