Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 159909 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
The gE reaction if Currie goes and hires Venables would be highly entertaining though.

Doesn't fit Currie's criteria. I also am not sure they would want him. Tennessee fans think they have the best open job.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
Tennessee Curdog fires his football coach.  He wants a new one who has character.  Sean?

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
Based on past history, who do think JC has as his top candidates?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
The gE reaction if Currie goes and hires Venables would be highly entertaining though.

Doesn't fit Currie's criteria. I also am not sure they would want him. Tennessee fans think they have the best open job.

Tennessee fans seem more delusional than Nebraska fans when it comes to their place in the CFB landscape. 3rd best job in their division and maybe the 7th in their conference.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »

Butch Jones would be his #1 candidate at another school. Mike Reilly probs moves to #1 when the Nubs fire him in a few weeks.

Others off the top of my head: Les Miles, Helfrich, Tracy Claeys?, Sumlin (when he's canned soon)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2017, 10:37:45 AM »
Gene Chizik

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Jim McElwain

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Currie is finally getting his shot at a football hire

He's gonna knock it out too, Matt Campbell or Scott Frost.

I think this is what the Nebraska coaching searching does, and should, look like. Frost being an obvious candidate but I wonder if he’d take the job - getting the players for that offense in Nebraska seems like a decent challenge. I think Matt Campbell would be a great fit in Lincoln.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
Tennessee is about to put $340 million into stadium upgrades.  I'm not sure I'd call them 7th in the conference, but could see 3rd in the east.  The school has a lot of upside, amazing setting, (great hill to look upon, even though you can't see them from in the stadium), crap loads of growth on campus (huge student union project), and some pretty good talent around them.  For sure though, the people here think they are on the verge of competing with Bama with just a HC change.  It's a little bit odd to see their expectations.  Bu that is what happens when you have years of the SEC is best nonsense.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
It's incredible how much campus has changed. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that they're in the process of tearing most buildings down and putting new ones in their place. They'll leave the core buildings on the Hill, but a lot of buildings have been torn down.

At worst, they'll hire a B list candidate who'll win 7 or 8 games a year. Unfortunately, the stadium will always fill up for those type of seasons. It's why I think it's unlikely that we'll hire one of the A listers, like Gruden, Kelly, Patterson, Petersen, Mullen, Franklin, etc. I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
You are absolutely right on the B list hire big orange, the Currie formula at KState was
1. Previous head coaching experience
2. At least a similar resume to the coach he fired

Currie is a numbers guy that will look for the guy that looks good on paper and he is not going to move heaven and earth to get A lister because he doesn't want a coach that could out leverage him.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
Currie might hire Les Miles. Les is probably the best coach for the job, anyway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

Butch Jones would be his #1 candidate at another school. Mike Reilly probs moves to #1 when the Nubs fire him in a few weeks.

Others off the top of my head: Les Miles, Helfrich, Tracy Claeys?, Sumlin (when he's canned soon)

He made good coaching hires here, he clearly could have done better than oscar, although I think the program turns the proverbial corner this year. People will dismiss it because for some reason women's basketball doesn't count, but it was gangsta what he did to TCU.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »
i can see Nebraska going after Les, his son plays there i believe.

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
You are absolutely right on the B list hire big orange, the Currie formula at KState was
1. Previous head coaching experience
2. At least a similar resume to the coach he fired

Currie is a numbers guy that will look for the guy that looks good on paper and he is not going to move heaven and earth to get A lister because he doesn't want a coach that could out leverage him.

Our fans have had to put up with the tail end of the Fulmer years (where he stayed for 2 or 3 too many seasons), and now three calamitous hires.

If they don't at least trot out a big name coach, I don't know what our fans will do.

That last part about not wanting a too-powerful coach worries me. The Gruden supporters think that he wasn't hired here in 2012 because our donors wouldn't give him total control, like Saban. Even if we don't get Gruden, I hope that doesn't scare off other coaches.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
Tennessee is about to put $340 million into stadium upgrades.  I'm not sure I'd call them 7th in the conference, but could see 3rd in the east.  The school has a lot of upside, amazing setting, (great hill to look upon, even though you can't see them from in the stadium), crap loads of growth on campus (huge student union project), and some pretty good talent around them.  For sure though, the people here think they are on the verge of competing with Bama with just a HC change.  It's a little bit odd to see their expectations.  Bu that is what happens when you have years of the SEC is best nonsense.

In no particular order...Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia are all better jobs. It's a toss up with TAMU for #6.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »

In no particular order...Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia are all better jobs. It's a toss up with TAMU for #6.

FWIW, Florida's facilities are apparently awful, and even though Scott Striclin is now the AD Jeremy Foley is still around helping with decision-making and he is apparently tight fisted with money. ONE of the issues the athletic department had with JM is that he brought this up, unprompted at a press conference.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »

FWIW, Florida's facilities are apparently awful, and even though Scott Striclin is now the AD Jeremy Foley is still around helping with decision-making and he is apparently tight fisted with money. ONE of the issues the athletic department had with JM is that he brought this up, unprompted at a press conference.

They just completed a new indoor practice facility in 2015 and are breaking ground on a training center/dining hall next month. Also worth noting that Laird Veatch will be involved with oversight of that project. He'll probably have some input on their coaching hire too.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »

They just completed a new indoor practice facility in 2015 and are breaking ground on a training center/dining hall next month. Also worth noting that Laird Veatch will be involved with oversight of that project. He'll probably have some input on their coaching hire too.

But our Vanier  :lol: at their cute little Vanier.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »

I think TC's list is very reasonable. 

Bama is obviously Bama.  I knew UF had awful facilities, but didn't know they had that much work scheduled.  They seem like an AD with a bit of a direction issue with a couple tough football hires and not keeping up with the Jones. I don't know about LSU to make a judgement, but gut has them above UT.  Auburn has recent success and hasn't really been in the basement.  We'll see how Georgia sustains.  I don't know one way or another on their facilities.

Also UTenn has amazing transit buses unlike what I've seen at UF, so that practically worth one place up on the power rankings.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/John_Currie/status/931523012603637760

Look at the replies to this tweet, Tennessee fans are insufferable

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 17, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
WOW!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 17, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »

his header is absolutely fantastic

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

Hahahaha, I had to go check that out. "Will it help us win?" :lol: that certainly wasn't his motto here

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »

Hahahaha, I had to go check that out. "Will it help us win?" :lol: that certainly wasn't his motto here
it looks like a 3rd grader learned how to photoshop