Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 135439 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #800 on: April 08, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
you make good points, #life.  i will study this bad deal.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 08, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
1. The first thing we have to keep in mind is that the conference is a true round robin. This means you have to play every team at their place. Secondly, I believe our conference has been tougher top to bottom than it was during the Frank years. The coaches, from top to bottom, are better. There wasn't one easy gimme, this year, in conference. TCU beat KU, for instance, in the Big XII tournament. One can disagree with me and that's fine. Everyone has to admit, however, that the conference dynamic is much different than when Frank was coaching here. Therefore, Weber should not be hated for conference records, IMHO, especially when one considers that the Foster fiasco led to Weber completely having to rebuild.

2. The Weber conundrum, IMHO, arises from one thing. He followed a popular coach who left before there were down years. Let's call it the Frank factor. Let's make no mistake about this. There would have been some down years even if Frank had stayed. Heck, there was a down year when Frank was here and had Pullen, Clemente, Sutton, Brown and others. Mellinger writes much of Weber's poor media image and that Weber tends to say things, which upset fans. There's probably some truth in this, but I believe the Frank factor is to blame for much of this phenomenon. After all, the only thing Weber can say that many fans will accept is: "I suck." With every loss, the only thing fans (the ones who dislike Weber) will accept is for Weber to take full blame. They didn't like Weber from the minute he was hired because of the Frank factor. I'll never forget some of them criticizing Weber for the first words he spoke when he stepped up to the mic after being hired: "Why K-State?" They said it was like him saying, "Why would a coach, as great as me, take this lowly K-State job?" I never saw it that way. I saw it as Weber's way of showing all the things, which made him excited about being in Manhattan. After the KU home loss this year, Weber said our guys kicked KU's butt on the play hard chart, but KU made more plays at the end. Media, and fans, crucified him for this, but Weber was absolutely right. Sitting court side, I had the exact same sentiment. I was thinking, throughout the whole game, how our guys wanted this so badly; how they were diving for balls and being more aggressive in many ways. I was sickened because some of our shots just wouldn't go down in crunch time and I wanted our guys effort to be rewarded. When I heard Weber speak these words on the post game radio show, I was glad he did so. He was supporting the hard effort of his players. That's not what the media, or Frank's fans, wanted to hear. The only thing they wanted to hear was that Weber was outcoached.

This is not to say Weber is a media savant. Frank is surely better in front of the mic than Coach Weber. This is simply to say that the Weber conundrum has more to do with the Frank factor than it does Weber.

i will give the gpc crowd some credit in that the majority seem to have finally revolted against posts like this

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 09, 2017, 12:55:43 AM »
1. The first thing we have to keep in mind is that the conference is a true round robin. This means you have to play every team at their place. Secondly, I believe our conference has been tougher top to bottom than it was during the Frank years. The coaches, from top to bottom, are better. There wasn't one easy gimme, this year, in conference. TCU beat KU, for instance, in the Big XII tournament. One can disagree with me and that's fine. Everyone has to admit, however, that the conference dynamic is much different than when Frank was coaching here. Therefore, Weber should not be hated for conference records, IMHO, especially when one considers that the Foster fiasco led to Weber completely having to rebuild.

2. The Weber conundrum, IMHO, arises from one thing. He followed a popular coach who left before there were down years. Let's call it the Frank factor. Let's make no mistake about this. There would have been some down years even if Frank had stayed. Heck, there was a down year when Frank was here and had Pullen, Clemente, Sutton, Brown and others. Mellinger writes much of Weber's poor media image and that Weber tends to say things, which upset fans. There's probably some truth in this, but I believe the Frank factor is to blame for much of this phenomenon. After all, the only thing Weber can say that many fans will accept is: "I suck." With every loss, the only thing fans (the ones who dislike Weber) will accept is for Weber to take full blame. They didn't like Weber from the minute he was hired because of the Frank factor. I'll never forget some of them criticizing Weber for the first words he spoke when he stepped up to the mic after being hired: "Why K-State?" They said it was like him saying, "Why would a coach, as great as me, take this lowly K-State job?" I never saw it that way. I saw it as Weber's way of showing all the things, which made him excited about being in Manhattan. After the KU home loss this year, Weber said our guys kicked KU's butt on the play hard chart, but KU made more plays at the end. Media, and fans, crucified him for this, but Weber was absolutely right. Sitting court side, I had the exact same sentiment. I was thinking, throughout the whole game, how our guys wanted this so badly; how they were diving for balls and being more aggressive in many ways. I was sickened because some of our shots just wouldn't go down in crunch time and I wanted our guys effort to be rewarded. When I heard Weber speak these words on the post game radio show, I was glad he did so. He was supporting the hard effort of his players. That's not what the media, or Frank's fans, wanted to hear. The only thing they wanted to hear was that Weber was outcoached.

This is not to say Weber is a media savant. Frank is surely better in front of the mic than Coach Weber. This is simply to say that the Weber conundrum has more to do with the Frank factor than it does Weber.

Please seek psychological therapy.

This is not that complicated.

Oscar has shown himself via his record of accomplishment to be a good mid-major level coach.  He is in over his head - in recruiting, game day coaching, player development, and public relations - at the Power 5 level.

That's it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 09, 2017, 01:19:32 AM »
Solid rebuttal 'lemy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 09, 2017, 03:28:08 AM »
I'm just happy Freddy Brown got some love in that post.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 09, 2017, 12:52:08 PM »
I don't think he's lazy, I just think he's a very quirky guy...

he doesn't seem to like point guards.  he never has a good one except when he takes over a team where someone else recruited one that he can use.
he is too much of a control freak - good pgs see his nonstop sideline act and go elsewhere and that same act also keeps him from developing the combos he does sign

He hasn't signed one in the fall yet at K-State. It is rough ridin' insane.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 09, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »

Great point, the record in conference is not important. That try really hard chart needs to be how we evaluate coaches, poor Oscar just has the deck stacked against him.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 09, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
oscar can't fix Currie's problem.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 09, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
I betcha Oscar goes transCoach on us.  Yeow, transRoy, transBill, transBrad.  You scoff!  If white guy can be black because he thinks he is, if boys can be girls and girls boys by just thinking so, then Oscar can do the same.  We could be witnessing the transformation to OscarMan.  Mild mannered goofer away from basketball, but a hellion of intense fervent coaching when in Bb mode.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
Heard from a fairly ITK source this weekend that Mr. Ice and others are very good friends with oscar and are 100% behind him still being here. Also, if he continues to fart out anything remotely close to the NCAA bubble, basically anything around .500 overall, his job is completely safe as long as he wants to coach here.

The Big Train

« Reply #810 on: June 11, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Punch these people in the face #life

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:45 PM »

This person did not share the same thoughts as the few "big fish" but he says that's how they feel so nothing will probably change barring some 1 or 2 win conference season or something. Even then he would probably be given a chance for a bounceback year. Made me very sad, but also didn't surprise me.

The Big Train

« Reply #812 on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »

This person did not share the same thoughts as the few "big fish" but he says that's how they feel so nothing will probably change barring some 1 or 2 win conference season or something. Even then he would probably be given a chance for a bounceback year. Made me very sad, but also didn't surprise me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 12, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »
This is like the least shocking news ever

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 12, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »
why do our biggest donors have to be seemingly giant dumbasses

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
i'd guess that most of our donors are giant dumbasses

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 12, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
but why?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 12, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
a lot of it probably begins with our open admissions policy :dunno: 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Heard from a fairly ITK source this weekend that Mr. Ice and others are very good friends with oscar and are 100% behind him still being here. Also, if he continues to fart out anything remotely close to the NCAA bubble, basically anything around .500 overall, his job is completely safe as long as he wants to coach here.

yeah major studs Karl and Mary like being associated with huge losers like oscar.  Your ITK doesn't K crap

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 14, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »

That kind of nonsense motivates me to make my business interests SO profitable that I can wave more dollars in the face of Gen. Meyers than the Ice family so he will act in my best interests rather than theirs.

America!

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 15, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
today?  why not? maybe The Mustang is at the UC pool

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Rumblings the loser ran another player off

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 15, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
Rumblings the loser ran another player off

Like, our only big man too.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 15, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »
You can't brag about your players doing well at other schools if you don't run them off first.

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 15, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
Maurice?