Author Topic: Better Leyton than never; OSU ADV  (Read 3832 times)

Offline emaw24

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Better Leyton than never; OSU ADV
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »
Agreed, but stats don't tell the story. If you highlight reeled all of his scoring or shots it would comical. Don't defend him. He has had 5 years to develop his game, he is a D1 athlete at a P5 school its your job to get good at basketball and specifically what you need to do on the court.

Again he shoots over 60% because if he tried to create his own shots or score with post moves he would be a terrible shooter, pulled from the court for his shot selection and not play or get touches because guys know he would be a black hole. He takes only shots he knows he can score. Those are layups/dunks 90% of the time.

He has a very good 2-4 foot game. So does every other P5 big in america.

I get your points, but I will agree to disagree as well.

DJamer was a more of a football athlete that chose basketball when he came here. He fought through numerous injuries. He's become a very productive Big 12 player (probably HM all league), even if many of his points come off of effort plays and sure shots. He is a very good rebounder and pretty solid post defender. I don't think its accurate to say he hasn't worked to develop his game. There are other more naturally gifted guys on our roster I would go after for lack of development, starting with Wes and Dean.

Good points, but he chose basketball he should be a basketball player then. Or is this poor recruiting? I think Wes isn't good because of the system he is in and the poor player development. I think we will really miss Wes next year because he can make plays unlike many other players on this team. Imagine him in Underwood's system. He would be nice off 2-man game in Spread. Claws is a sophomore and again poorly developed and not appropriately used by oscar Weber. Kid is soft. Nice player, but just soft. In fact all of our guys are soft. OSU the softest team in the league a year ago just completely out toughed us and whipped our asses at everything last night despite playing so poorly for the first half. Leyton freaking Hammonds destroyed us on the glass keeping extra possessions alive. Jeffery Carroll same thing. Forte beating our guys to loose balls and making plays for others despite not scoring on the ball.

Just shows how culture matters more then your system. Toughest team almost always wins in basketball. Cats just arent tough and it is so depressing to watch now.

There are pieces here. Next year we are missing a big, but the team should be solid whoever takes over the program.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
Good points, but he chose basketball he should be a basketball player then. Or is this poor recruiting? I think Wes isn't good because of the system he is in and the poor player development. I think we will really miss Wes next year because he can make plays unlike many other players on this team. Imagine him in Underwood's system. He would be nice off 2-man game in Spread. Claws is a sophomore and again poorly developed and not appropriately used by oscar Weber. Kid is soft. Nice player, but just soft. In fact all of our guys are soft. OSU the softest team in the league a year ago just completely out toughed us and whipped our asses at everything last night despite playing so poorly for the first half. Leyton freaking Hammonds destroyed us on the glass keeping extra possessions alive. Jeffery Carroll same thing. Forte beating our guys to loose balls and making plays for others despite not scoring on the ball.

Just shows how culture matters more then your system. Toughest team almost always wins in basketball. Cats just arent tough and it is so depressing to watch now.

There are pieces here. Next year we are missing a big, but the team should be solid whoever takes over the program.

1st point, I'd say its more recruiting. IMO DJamer has made the most of his chance to be a P5 player.

2nd, agree on Wes, but he keeps both teams in the game. He has good rebounding numbers, but how many boxout/boards did he miss last night.

3rd, absolutely agree on culture. This program does not have a culture of toughness/effort right now, no matter how much the coach tries to emphasize his PHC. Its embarrassing how much that has fallen off in the last 5 seasons. At a program like ours toughness/effort have to be your calling cards.

4th, I agree that the right coach still will have some parts to work with, but after being in this system can our guys work with a tough coach?

Offline emaw24

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »

1st point, I'd say its more recruiting. IMO DJamer has made the most of his chance to be a P5 player.

2nd, agree on Wes, but he keeps both teams in the game. He has good rebounding numbers, but how many boxout/boards did he miss last night.

3rd, absolutely agree on culture. This program does not have a culture of toughness/effort right now, no matter how much the coach tries to emphasize his PHC. Its embarrassing how much that has fallen off in the last 5 seasons. At a program like ours toughness/effort have to be your calling cards.

4th, I agree that the right coach still will have some parts to work with, but after being in this system can our guys work with a tough coach?

Yup absolutely Wes wears both unis. I'm sure he will have some possessions in a OU uni on Saturday. Can the right coach change this...yes, who is that guy? Brad Underwood. We have got to kiss and make-up and bring him home. Pay the $$$, bring our hero home. Heck half of OSU doesn't even know who he is still. He would be a hero at K-State and have a chance to save the program and save his alma matter and coach here for the next 20+ years.

This needs to happen. Long term investment here Currie. Give OSU their money. Admit and move on to a brighter day of Cat bball.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I just realized who Phil Forte reminds me of! The weird kid from kings of summer

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »
some of us depend on having a _fwn maybe postgame stats thread available after the games, ksu_fwn maybe.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
44 total minutes for DJamer and X seems criminal.

Sneed has not played well for 6 games. He isn't giving us anything on Offense (3-17 3pt, 4-12 2pt). His overall Rebounding hasn't been good (10 Reb in 110 min) but his DR numbers are terrible. 

I'd rather see him at the 4 than Mo or Budke, but unfortunately Sneed has been unproductive for these past 6 gms

I spent all of January and half of February telling you all that he would revert to the mean. That doesn't mean he should be getting less minutes, if you think he's valuable you give him more opportunities to get out of it. It isn't like those minutes are going to a more productive player(s).

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
some of us depend on having a _fwn maybe postgame stats thread available after the games, ksu_fwn maybe.

Sorry sys. I pretty much had it done after I drove home from Manhattan, but then I just went on a twitter rant and went to bed.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
You are focused too much on where DJamer shoots his shots. For 7 games, he averaged 6-9 on FGs per game. He was getting 9 shots, making 2/3 of them. I'm not expecting 15 FGAs a game, 9-10 is fine.  But 5 shots when others are cold is my big issue. That's partly on the coach, partly on his teammates, partly on DJamer (he needs to try harder to get position and get on his teammates if they don't feed him)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:29:25 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »
we do iso DJamer fwiw, i mean- wtf?  oscar runs his offense from the outside in and we're terrible at getting DJamer the ball, getting DJamer isolation is definitely part of the offense whether we're successful at it or not

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
pretty boss newspaper cover tbh

Offline sekpoke

• Cow Poke'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
_fan, can you tell me why Forte isn't killing ppl this year?

In games where the other team guards him with a long, athletic player like Westicles last night he has been held in check. But others have taken up the slack. He has also shot much better at home than on the road, I'm sure some of that is related to how he is defended as well. He has been the 3rd best player over the season.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:34:33 PM by sekpoke »

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
that phil forte doppelganger would've killed over at wildcat salute or one of those places  :don'tcare: