Author Topic: what's wrong w/ the country right now?  (Read 35757 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: what's wrong w/ the country right now?
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
The idea of property tax really makes you want to be as repub as possible.  Paying tax on something you own already and already paid taxes on when you bought it.  It's pretty mumped up.

I agree with this. It is pretty weird when you think about it.

It's awful. It means you never really own land because the minute you stop paying your taxes the government takes it away from you.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
The idea of property tax really makes you want to be as repub as possible.  Paying tax on something you own already and already paid taxes on when you bought it.  It's pretty mumped up.

It's awful. It means you never really own land because the minute you stop paying your taxes the government takes it away from you.

Hey little old lady who didn't pay your $400 tax bill on the house and land you've "owned" for 5 decades.  We're coming.

Warmest Regards:

Your local government enterprise

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »
I looked it up, just for ksuw, last year was not (!) below 10%

:cheers: Now add in your state income tax, social security, medicare, property tax, and sales tax. We'll make a conservative out of you yet.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »

you never really own a sick 4 Winns power boat either. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
AIDS is still around, wacky. You don't have to be so sad.
Like barely anymore. I was never even terrified to have sex with strangers growing up. I wonder what that must have felt like.

When I was in high school, they made us watch some lifetime-ish movie about a girl who got HIV from having unprotected sex with a guy. I think that's maybe the least likely way to contract HIV other than sitting on a toilet seat. But even today, I would really prefer to not have HIV.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

:cheers: Now add in your state income tax, social security, medicare, property tax, and sales tax. We'll make a conservative out of you yet.

I pay that stuff too and it doesn't bother me one bit. I enjoy living in a civilized society
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm fairly sure that social security will still be around for me to collect in 40 years or so.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »
I like having nice things too, but the amt of money I do pay the fed/soc sec is obscene, and property tax, although not a fed issue, is near feudal.

My property taxes are about 2/3 the monthly cost that my entire rent and utilities were my senior year in college.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2016, 02:52:15 PM »
Property taxes are definitely going up just about everywhere in Kansas. I do think it is probably a good idea to have at least some minimal form of a property tax, though. There should be some financial disincentive to holding onto land you aren't using.

The Big Train

« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
I pay more taxes than I used to

The Big Train

what's wrong w/ the country right now?
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
Everyone seems to think they are right no matter what.  It makes having a dialogue about anything harder.  Especially older people thinking everything was way better in the world when they were younger.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
People living longer lifespans has created a nation with a lot more old people than we used to have.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »

Hey little old lady who didn't pay your $400 tax bill on the house and land you've "owned" for 5 decades.  We're coming.

Warmest Regards:

property tax for land is really the tax that makes the most sense to be levied.  Income/investment taxes make lots of sense as transfer payments/social welfare.  Creating a market for carbon as a consumption tax to capture the negative externalities makes sense.

Sales tax doesn't make any sense to me at all (and it is the most cheated on of any tax).  T

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »

Warmest Regards:

property tax for land is really the only tax that makes any god damn sense to be levied.  Income/investment taxes make lots of sense as transfer payments/social welfare.  Creating a market for carbon as a consumption tax to capture the negative externalities makes sense.

Sales tax doesn't make any sense to me at all (and it is the most cheated on of any tax).  T

I didn't say properly tax didn't make sense, what makes no sense is the absurdity that govt can confiscate the land over minor amounts of back taxes.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
yeah, there have been lots of government abuses on people in a number of areas, back property taxes is a relatively low on my examples I could think of.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
Sales tax makes the most sense to me.  Its a transaction.  Owning land today that you paid for years ago isn't.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »
We have wifi on planes now and we it doesn't work, people freak the eff out. That's how good we have it these days.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
Sales tax makes the most sense to me.  Its a transaction.  Owning land today that you paid for years ago isn't.

Why should a transaction between two individuals be taxed?  There are plenty of times that the government should force the terms to be public, but I don't know why there should be a tax.

Land is finite, very valuable.  The government secures, protects it, and provides infrastructure to support it.  This provides a lot of land's value through these efforts.  Taxing it is entirely appropriate.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »

I pay that stuff too and it doesn't bother me one bit. I enjoy living in a civilized society

I agree.  also makes me think that people who complain about taxes are probably living on the edge of financial security and could benefit from creating a budget.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »
Or some ppl just look at their pay stubs every once and awhile and they're like "Holy eff! That's what I could be making if all this crap wasn't taken out of it? Damn! That's a lot of cheddar going to random places and I don't even know what they're using it for"

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »

I agree.  also makes me think that people who complain about taxes are probably living on the edge of financial security and could benefit from creating a budget.

That is definitely a problem in modern America
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »

they could also ask their employer for more cash and find a balance that way.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

Sigh... I guess we're gonna have to dig a little deeper into the personal stuff. I'm guessing no wife and no kids?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »

they could also ask their employer for more cash and find a balance that way.

or just work harder and earn more money. some people just like to complain though.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
Put artisanal beer on the negative list for me

are you hating on one of the only growing manufacturing industries in the country?