Author Topic: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 44087 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
The dumb part would be commenting about BLM as a head football coach.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
It seems like the more someone is paid, the more they feel like others need to know their opinions on stuff.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
Clemson obviously prayed harder before the game after hearing Watson's & Dabo's post game interviews.
 :buh-bye:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
I also find Dabo a little off putting but any cfb coach that recruits the South better be able to talk about Jesus

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »
Dabo said some pretty stupid stuff about BLM/race in America.  But I like him on the spectrum of college coaches.

totally, dabo is good at coaching and kinda humble seeming, which puts him in my top 5% favorite of the 95% of cfb coaches who are trump voting sociopaths with no grasp whatsoever of institutionalized racism.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:06 AM »
A coach could comment on blm in an intelligent manner that might alienate a few donors but be a net positive for the program and society. I think the way Chip Kelly handled kapernick would have been great for a college coach, for example.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/09/49ers-notes-chip-kelly-discusses-colin-kaepernicks-protest-potential-on-field-cameo/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »
you're dead wrong if you don't think Hawkins was authentic.

Who said that? He's a weirdo.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »
A coach could comment on blm in an intelligent manner that might alienate a few donors but be a net positive for the program and society. I think the way Chip Kelly handled kapernick would have been great for a college coach, for example.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/09/49ers-notes-chip-kelly-discusses-colin-kaepernicks-protest-potential-on-field-cameo/

There is no way a southern college football coach can have a nuanced view on black lives matter or anthem protests.

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2017, 01:32:43 AM »
That recent ESPN article on Venables kind of opened my eyes to another possibility.  Fair or not, it characterized him as a batshit crazy screamer who curses non-stop on the sidelines and has to be physically restrained by a dedicated person.  Maybe that's his ON mode rather than his DC supermotivator mode?  Could be awkward at pressers, fundraising dinners, etc. if so.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »
That recent ESPN article on Venables kind of opened my eyes to another possibility.  Fair or not, it characterized him as a batshit crazy screamer who curses non-stop on the sidelines and has to be physically restrained by a dedicated person.  Maybe that's his ON mode rather than his DC supermotivator mode?  Could be awkward at pressers, fundraising dinners, etc. if so.

Point?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 11, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »
Why does ESECPN always purpose that any coach would leave a top flight job for an SEC job?  Mike and Mike had a brief question about Saban leaving and how Bama would probably call Dabo for the vacancy.  I could see them asking but not expecting much.  They connection they seemed to make wasn't that Dabo would be leaving to "go home" but rather it's because it's Alabama.  Along a similar thought, why would Jimbo Fisher go to a clearly lesser job at LSU from Florida State?  I could maybe see that if FSU had a lot of issues after Bobby left and was down for a few years and they weren't investing in the program at FSU.  But it's clear they wanted to get things rolling again and have put the resources and commitment behind Fisher.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »

Which is a great reason we should really want him, but a great reason Currie won't hire him.  I mean, getting rid of Frank was hairy enough, and that was basketball.  Can you imagine what would have transpired if Frank was a winning Football coach? 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
you're dead wrong if you don't think Hawkins was authentic.

Who said that? He's a weirdo.
Hamburgler said it in the post just before mine that you quoted.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »

Bill Self curses like a sailor and gets red faced about two dozen times during games. 

It's just his intensity level, and given the results from KSU/OU/Clemson, it's clear to see that it connects with players and produces results.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »

Bill Self curses like a sailor and gets red faced about two dozen times during games. 

It's just his intensity level, and given the results from KSU/OU/Clemson, it's clear to see that it connects with players and produces results.

Frank, tho

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 11, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »

Frank, tho

Frank is a Latino, tho.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
Clemson obviously prayed harder before the game after hearing Watson's & Dabo's post game interviews.
Coach Snyder one time said something like "God has children on both sides of the ball, I don't think he's pulling for one team over the other."
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
Plenty of coaches curse and scream all day on the sidelines.  Not my concern.  I think we mostly agree that BV must have had boatloads of 1st-interview opportunities for HC positions, so I'm engaging in wild speculation by wondering whether he might struggle to turn off the intensity in situations that normally call for cool, calm, and collected.  I have no idea.  Just throwing it out there since the other working models for why he hasn't taken a HC gig don't seem all that convincing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »

Which is a great reason we should really want him, but a great reason Currie won't hire him.  I mean, getting rid of Frank was hairy enough, and that was basketball.  Can you imagine what would have transpired if Frank was a winning Football coach?

Being an unhinged lunatic is a reason to hire him?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
As a fan, that and his performance history, absolutely.

Winning football with an entertaining figure head sounds absolutely amazing to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »

Winning football with an entertaining figure head sounds absolutely amazing to me.

You will acknowledge though that his sideline demeanor though would be an issue fire someone who's job could hinge on a coach embarrassing the university.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 11, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »

You will acknowledge though that his sideline demeanor though would be an issue fire someone who's job could hinge on a coach embarrassing the university.

Of course.  That's why I made the comment about Frank. 

Of note: Leavitt is apparently a sideline maniac too. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 13, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »
Coach Snyder one time said something like "God has children on both sides of the ball, I don't think he's pulling for one team over the other."

he also told the team once at haltime in AMes that they made him want to blow his head off with a  shotgun.   

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 13, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
he also told the team once at haltime in AMes that they made him want to blow his head off with a  shotgun.
Sounds about right. They've played some horrible 1st halves in Ames.  :billdance:
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best