Author Topic: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 44922 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
Oh okay.

How much more experienced Ron Prince than Venables in 2004?

He had been a coordinator of an average offense for 3 years and only been coaching at a P5 school for 5.

Venables has been coordinator or co-coordinator for 18 years for 2 major programs competing for league and national titles.

I don't think they are comparable. I do agree its weird that Venables has never seriously been pursued by anyone.

I have always assumed that Venables has been "seriously pursued" in the same way Snyder has been.  There is no question other programs have reached out, but I think he just has made it so clear he is not interested that it never goes far enough to even be a rumor.  It could even be that Venables' agent keeps coming forward to him with calls from schools that are interested and he just doesn't call them back.

Snyder was very close to going to UCLA. Venables and his agent gain absolutely nothing by dismissing jobs or keeping rumors quiet.

It was well known in Oklahoma that Brent went after the Arkansas State job after either Freeze or Mahlzan left.

That's a pretty big red flag, no?

Why is this a red flag? I'm guessing it was after Freeze left is when he wanted it, because his first year as Clemson was the year Malzahn was at Ark St. Makes sense if he tried to get it, Stoops just brought in his brother to be a co-DC which clearly upset Venables. I don't think losing a HC gig to Malzahn would've be that big of an issue  :dunno:

You don't see an issue with him having a willingness to work in the fun belt but never getting that level of a job?

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
Oh okay.

How much more experienced Ron Prince than Venables in 2004?

He had been a coordinator of an average offense for 3 years and only been coaching at a P5 school for 5.

Venables has been coordinator or co-coordinator for 18 years for 2 major programs competing for league and national titles.

I don't think they are comparable. I do agree its weird that Venables has never seriously been pursued by anyone.

I have always assumed that Venables has been "seriously pursued" in the same way Snyder has been.  There is no question other programs have reached out, but I think he just has made it so clear he is not interested that it never goes far enough to even be a rumor.  It could even be that Venables' agent keeps coming forward to him with calls from schools that are interested and he just doesn't call them back.

Snyder was very close to going to UCLA. Venables and his agent gain absolutely nothing by dismissing jobs or keeping rumors quiet.

It was well known in Oklahoma that Brent went after the Arkansas State job after either Freeze or Mahlzan left.

That's a pretty big red flag, no?

Why is this a red flag? I'm guessing it was after Freeze left is when he wanted it, because his first year as Clemson was the year Malzahn was at Ark St. Makes sense if he tried to get it, Stoops just brought in his brother to be a co-DC which clearly upset Venables. I don't think losing a HC gig to Malzahn would've be that big of an issue  :dunno:

You don't see an issue with him having a willingness to work in the fun belt but never getting that level of a job?

Not really. I don't think he is willing to take just any job - Ark St won 10 games under Freeze - so it's not like it was just any Sun Belt gig. Also, it doesn't seem like he's looked very hard since going to Clemson. He might've thought if he was leaving OU he should take a HC job, but maybe when he got to Clemson he realized he is comfortable being a DC unless something great comes along.

That's speculation on my part obviously. If he was looking at other places as well for a HC job and got turned down, rather than the other way around, then I'd be concerned.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
If what he has done is all part of the plan he probably needs to change the plan. It appears he didn't even get a sniff of any of the P5 jobs open the last two years, that's not good. At this point I'm not sure what he could be holding out for that he it's going to get. It seems to me that expecting some fool proof job is stupid. There is no such thing as a can't miss job, doors the guy want to be a head coach or not?

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
That's fair criticism, but he said in an SI article that he turned down an interview for a P5 job in 2015. I'm guessing if they've stopped calling it's because he never went on the interviews. Also, he says he interviewed for the HC job at Arkansas in 2012. It certainly sounds like he's cherry-picking to me and only a handful of jobs intrigue him. He doesn't sound ego driven in that he has some NEED to be a HC. If I was making $1.4mil I'd only be looking at others jobs that I thought were perfect too.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
PJ Fleck seems Dan Hawkinsy to me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
Fleck can't crash and burn like Hawk did because Minnesota just isn't perched high enough. He could set the program on a path toward decades of irrelevance but nobody would notice because the program hasn't been relevant in most of our lifetimes anyway.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
i'm not saying fleck is definitely gonna be dan hawkinsy, but Hawkins was kind of "out there" like Fleck is.  Both extremely successful at the mid major level (though Hawkins' track record was more impressive than Fleck's is).  Fleck is super young, which is something I guess.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
i'm not saying fleck is definitely gonna be dan hawkinsy, but Hawkins was kind of "out there" like Fleck is.  Both extremely successful at the mid major level (though Hawkins' track record was more impressive than Fleck's is).  Fleck is super young, which is something I guess.

I don't think Fleck is "out there" he's just not old and staid like other college football coaches. Fleck is relatable. I'm older than the players Hawkins recruited and I don't relate to his stuff at all, I am stunned that any 17-18 year old ever did, and having to recruit to boulder too, not good.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
Venables has definitely been reported as having interviewed for at least a couple of HC jobs over the years....

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
If you're an AD, on a scale of 1-10, how big a dumb ass are you for not interviewing an on  paper well qualified coach because some other ADs didn't want him? Gotta be at least 9, right?

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 10, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Who are you talking about
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
Venzy may end up being a terrible head coach, but I just don't see it. I know being a HC is different than a DC, but teams are simply better with him on staff. He's 199-43 as a DC.

That's an average of 11-2 per season for almost 20 years. Pretty rough ridin' incredible

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
I hated Dabo at first.  I still don't like him.  However, he's authentic.  Hawkins wasn't.  Prince wasn't.  Recruits and players can relate to authentic.  Fleck is authentic. 

If you do think it's a gimmick, you also have to look at what the end goal appears to be.  All of Fleck's "gimmicks" are geared towards getting buy in for a process of "know you're role, work hard to master your role, and if we all do that we'll win".  I think it's similar to Dabo, without the God stuff.  Others that his gimmick gets compared too just seem more "look at us".  Dabo's and Fleck's are built into the program.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
you're dead wrong if you don't think Hawkins was authentic.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
From my point of view, Hawkins got crazier as time went on.  It didn't help that he went to the P5 job that would enable crazy as much as any.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
From my point of view, Hawkins got crazier as time went on.  It didn't help that he went to the P5 job that would enable crazy as much as any.
like showing up on the field after he had gotten fired crazy?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
I absolutely believe Hawkins was authentic, but in the same way as Neuheisel. Its a little too crazy to sustain success IMO.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »
If you're an AD, on a scale of 1-10, how big a dumb ass are you for not interviewing an on  paper well qualified coach because some other ADs didn't want him? Gotta be at least 9, right?

I'd say 10

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
I hated Dabo at first.  I still don't like him.  However, he's authentic.  Hawkins wasn't.  Prince wasn't.  Recruits and players can relate to authentic.  Fleck is authentic. 

If you do think it's a gimmick, you also have to look at what the end goal appears to be.  All of Fleck's "gimmicks" are geared towards getting buy in for a process of "know you're role, work hard to master your role, and if we all do that we'll win".  I think it's similar to Dabo, without the God stuff.  Others that his gimmick gets compared too just seem more "look at us".  Dabo's and Fleck's are built into the program.

How could you NOT like Dabo? I can get people not liking the god stuff, etc. but Dabo seems like a pretty real dude who seems pretty humbled by all of his success. Interview last night after the game was fantastic.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »

How could you NOT like Dabo? I can get people not liking the god stuff, etc. but Dabo seems like a pretty real dude who seems pretty humbled by all of his success. Interview last night after the game was fantastic.
I saw an interview with him on paying players a few years go. I've hated him since. Got a big pimp vibe with his view on players.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

It was mostly the God stuff, but that opens a whole other can of worms with me.  But in the beginning I thought that was part was fake too.  He's a real dude, so I fully get why players buy in.  He's said a few things that don't sit well with me.  Some God, some paying players, i.e. using the word "entitled" when talking about it.  However, I think he's a great FB coach. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »

It was mostly the God stuff, but that opens a whole other can of worms with me.  But in the beginning I thought that was part was fake too.  He's a real dude, so I fully get why players buy in.  He's said a few things that don't sit well with me.  Some God, some paying players, i.e. using the word "entitled" when talking about it.  However, I think he's a great FB coach.

It's more this disconnect of all the god stuff, and then like exploding on the sidelines like a FB version of Frank Martin. Not saying I don't love that, but it's a weird thing to be on full tirade mode during a game, and then act like he's some pius saint in a presser. Be one or the other (full tirade please), stop trying to be both, unless he is like the "I ate a salad so I can eat this unhealthy food, it'll just cancel out" person.

Very good coach though so no argument there. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
I think someone can be both intense and be Christian :dunno:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »
Dabo said some pretty stupid stuff about BLM/race in America.  But I like him on the spectrum of college coaches.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:47 PM »
I think someone can be both intense and be Christian :dunno:

Absolutely. Getting intense on the sideline doesn't make him hypocritical.

I agree that most of his blm take was dumb.