Author Topic: PS Vue/Sling TV  (Read 54356 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: PS Vue/Sling TV
« Reply #275 on: May 07, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
It wasn't once I had their no-frills price guide.  Took me about 10 minutes on the website w/that thing in hand.  The problem at the store is that the salespeople ignored everything I said and went directly to attempting to get me to commit to buying everything they had for 2 years.  To be fair, I'd heard plenty of horror stories about comcast going in so I was at a jaded level 4 as soon as I stepped inside.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 07, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
This reminds me, I'm probably gonna need a new router.  Where's the best thread for that (buying a new one, not fixing my old one)?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
PS Vue/Sling TV
« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
Alright guys I just reread this whole thread.  I thought I was under contract for another month or something but apparently I am not under contract.  So which service should I get, Sling or Vue?  Can we confirm again that I'll be able to watch my Royals on either?

I was looking and I can triple my internet speed, get sling or vue AND add HBO if I want and still save money.  So it's not a question IF just WHEN I do this.  Thoughts?

Did you get Vue? I love my Vue/Apple tv combo.

The Big Train

« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
Alright guys I just reread this whole thread.  I thought I was under contract for another month or something but apparently I am not under contract.  So which service should I get, Sling or Vue?  Can we confirm again that I'll be able to watch my Royals on either?

I was looking and I can triple my internet speed, get sling or vue AND add HBO if I want and still save money.  So it's not a question IF just WHEN I do this.  Thoughts?

Did you get Vue? I love my Vue/Apple tv combo.

I haven't bought it yet but I'm going to.  I have a Mac mini hooked up to my TV and have chromecast too so idk if I'll get a Apple TV.  They are very cool tho

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
This reminds me, I'm probably gonna need a new router.  Where's the best thread for that (buying a new one, not fixing my old one)?

I have one that probably works for you that I used for a week with time Warner before Google was installed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 07, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »

I have one that probably works for you that I used for a week with time Warner before Google was installed

The ones that comcast certifies (?) will be acceptable as opposed to renting/buying one of theirs are:

ARRIS SB8200
Netgear CM1000
ARRIS SB 6190
ARRIS SBG7580-AC
ASUS CM-32 AC2600
Netgear CM700

I don't think any of those can't be had for $200 or less, and that's fine.  I want whichever one is best and most current so that it'll be useful with almost anything else for after the inevitable breakup w/comcast and when I live somewhere that has access to the fasted internet pipes here.

My one that I brought from Kansas but didn't want to eff with and rented one from the old ISP people instead is a Linksys WRT400N.  It was probably a character in the "fix trim's router" thread.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
I would go with the arris ac one if that's your criteria

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #282 on: May 08, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
Also check upstream/downstream channel capabilities.  The more of each (especially upstream) the better.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

I just got a Netgear Orbi for cheap on ebay, but it sounds like you're wanting a modem/router combo, right?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 08, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
do they make polka dot routers?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 08, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
those sons of bitches at sling raised their prices.. whats vue run now a days and how easy is it to get onto a roku?

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #287 on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

I just got a Netgear Orbi for cheap on ebay, but it sounds like you're wanting a modem/router combo, right?

The mesh stuff is all the rage these days.  They are all fine if you can't run cable to every AP and you realize that every hop from the main router cuts BW in half and raises latency. 

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #288 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
those sons of bitches at sling raised their prices.. whats vue run now a days and how easy is it to get onto a roku?

I plugged the cord in a few months ago but I was on PSVue and it worked fine on the Roku.  At the time I left you couldn't set up profiles for PSVue on the Roku.  They had to be setup either on a PS3 or PS4 or an Amazon Fire Stick. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 08, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »

I plugged the cord in a few months ago but I was on PSVue and it worked fine on the Roku.  At the time I left you couldn't set up profiles for PSVue on the Roku.  They had to be setup either on a PS3 or PS4 or an Amazon Fire Stick
:curse: I don't have any of those

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 08, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

The mesh stuff is all the rage these days.  They are all fine if you can't run cable to every AP and you realize that every hop from the main router cuts BW in half and raises latency. 

Orbi is a bit different with a dedicated backend frequency so bandwidth does not decrease. It's also AC3000 speed. I'm getting 230 mbps on wireless, out of my 250 mbps service.

Even then, I only have the one router and it does a great job. I went with mesh because I'll probably be moving in the next year or so and wanted to be able to add a satellite if I needed.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #291 on: May 08, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

Orbi is a bit different with a dedicated backend frequency so bandwidth does not decrease. It's also AC3000 speed. I'm getting 230 mbps on wireless, out of my 250 mbps service.

Even then, I only have the one router and it does a great job. I went with mesh because I'll probably be moving in the next year or so and wanted to be able to add a satellite if I needed.

It's great for what it does for sure.  But wireless is still a half duplex medium, so I will take full duplex copper for my backhaul whenever I can. 

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #292 on: May 08, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

I plugged the cord in a few months ago but I was on PSVue and it worked fine on the Roku.  At the time I left you couldn't set up profiles for PSVue on the Roku.  They had to be setup either on a PS3 or PS4 or an Amazon Fire Stick
:curse: I don't have any of those

I purchased one Firestick mainly for this purpose after I realized I couldn't add any more profiles other than the default.  The profiles for the PSVUE are really great though.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
I am in a routine of having Vue for football season and then transitioning to Sling Blue for baseball season (have gotten numerous free Roku's this way). 

One thing i don't like about Vue is the fact that basically none of the channels are viewable outside of your home network whereas i can watch my sling content anywhere

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
I don't know what any of this means except for lib saying which one to get (IT guy confirmed it's good) and tobias asking if it comes dot'd.

This will still be a small place for which polka dot vacuums are the appropriate size so I'm sure that router's juice flow will be adequate.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 08, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
I'm really liking the DirecTV Now and Apple TV combo. My only complaint is being unable to watch the local/national Networks(ABC, CBS, etc) live.
I'm still getting SD channels into my TV through coax, so i've used that to watch local news and some NASCAR races.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 08, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Buy/build an antenna.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #297 on: May 08, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
I don't know what any of this means except for lib saying which one to get (IT guy confirmed it's good) and tobias asking if it comes dot'd.

This will still be a small place for which polka dot vacuums are the appropriate size so I'm sure that router's juice flow will be adequate.

Lib^7 is right.  The Arris AC one is the one to get in that list. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
in just an absolutely shocking turn of events, psvue (at least my tier) went up by 29%

The Big Train

« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
in just an absolutely shocking turn of events, psvue (at least my tier) went up by 29%

I got the email yesterday too.  Going up $10, but at least we get to keep our current plan for another 3 months(at least that's how long I can keep mine).  At that point I may be looking elsewhere.