Author Topic: PS Vue/Sling TV  (Read 52974 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
PS Vue/Sling TV
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »
I checked out the website, but someone tell me more and give me a review.

I'm thinking just keep cox internet and go with sling tv when my contract is up in April.

Is this something I should do?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:44:43 AM by ksu_FWN »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Sling TV
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
It's ok if you don't expect too much
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »
What's the best way to only have internet but then still get to watch Cats games?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:40:09 PM »
Jmarks

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »
It's ok if you don't expect too much

I mainly watch Royals baseball and K-State football/basketball.

Do you get quality resolution on a TV with firestick or whatever?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
i got sling for ms tobias, its v gross on a roku at least.  her internet connection isn't the fastest and it buffers all the damn time (maybe better on diff platform)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
i got sling for ms tobias, its v gross on a roku at least.  her internet connection isn't the fastest and it buffers all the damn time (maybe better on diff platform)

Thanks, these are the things I need to know.

My internet currently gets regular download speeds of 35-60. Upload 5.5-6.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
I had it when it first started for a month and the 'bias concerns are what made me get rid of it. I used it on roku and PC.

I think you have to buy separate packages for ESPN and Fox, and Fox won't have the roys anyway.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
Oh good, I finally get to talk about this.

If you have a good enough internet connection (where you can watch stuff like Netflix or WatchESPN without any issues) and a nice Roku, SlingTV is a pretty good way to go.  As you probably know, they have two packages that basically make you choose whether you want Fox Sports channels (most Big 12 games) or ESPN.  It's really not worth getting both packages because then you're probably spending more money than you would have by bundling through your cable company.  Some of the channels offered (definitely the regional Fox Sports ones) depend on where you live, so do that research as well.

Pros:
-Month to month billing (although if you prepay three months you get a free Roku 2)
-Very few streaming issues in my house
-TV options are pretty good; I think it has some on demand options as well but don't quote me on that
-I'll be honest, I only got this for Big 12 football, but it has worked well for that

Cons:
-The user interface honestly sucks. I hope they come up with something way better.
-Better value overall but still not super cheap; forces you to choose between fox sports and ESPN
-I don't think you can pause/rewind unless it's on demand

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »
i think they switched up packages - i haven't tried royals but ms tobias gets fskc now on the non-ESPN package (whatever color it is now)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
also, what cat said

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
Another pro tip for all cord cutters (if you haven't already): get a nice antenna for your TV (bonus points if you can put it in your attic or near a window where it can get really good reception.  The HD on digital broadcasting now is really good and even if you don't normally watch network TV you can watch plenty of good football on ABC/NBC Saturday and CBS/FOX on Sundays.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »
This says that you can watch the Royals: http://www.royalsreview.com/2016/4/15/11435436/how-to-stream-royals-games-sling-fox-sports-go-app

The $25/month package (Sling Blue) gets you Fox Sports: https://www.sling.com/

I was thinking of getting a firestick: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00GDQ0RMG

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
yeah, ms tobias (mhk) gets fskc and i assume there's no blackouts or whatevs.  maybe just see if the non-roku devices aren't a pos

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
If it gets royals now then that seems like a pretty good option. You can always just try it out, and see if you have streaming issues or not.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
I've used a Roku 3 and Roku 2 to stream without any real issues.  I've never used Fire Stick, but it makes me nervous because I've had quite a few problems with Chromecast before, which I suspect is because they try to make it too compact and have performance/overheating issues.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Another pro tip for all cord cutters (if you haven't already): get a nice antenna for your TV (bonus points if you can put it in your attic or near a window where it can get really good reception.  The HD on digital broadcasting now is really good and even if you don't normally watch network TV you can watch plenty of good football on ABC/NBC Saturday and CBS/FOX on Sundays.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
We dropped cable about 3 weeks ago.  I have fire tv on three tv's and a subscription to Playstation Vue.  We use their middle package at $35/mo and get multiple ESPNs(including U) as well as FS1, FSN, and other fox channels.  We also get the Big 10 channel for some reason.  It's been great so far.

I kept our one tivo and use it for over the air stuff the kids watch.

Saving $80/month and haven't lost anything we watch.

That all said, I haven't watched a Royals game since like June, so I don't even know if we get them or not with this set up.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
We dropped cable about 3 weeks ago.  I have fire tv on three tv's and a subscription to Playstation Vue.  We use their middle package at $35/mo and get multiple ESPNs(including U) as well as FS1, FSN, and other fox channels.  We also get the Big 10 channel for some reason.  It's been great so far.

I kept our one tivo and use it for over the air stuff the kids watch.

Saving $80/month and haven't lost anything we watch.

That all said, I haven't watched a Royals game since like June, so I don't even know if we get them or not with this set up.

This is my exact setup, I love it. Haven't missed cable at all. Plus, I would bet that FS-Midwest gets added before next Royals season.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
We got it and watch through my sons X-box one.  It works great for us for what I want, cats games and royals.  We went with the bigger package for $40 per month which was still cheaper than cable and has ESPN and Fox Sports.  I went with a cheap antennae and don't get very good network tv reception  :dubious:

Anyway the only con I don't like is using the x box controller to navigate the guide etc... I also like watching on my phone which is nice that I have my tv everywhere now.  Thought it would be too small but really the resolution is really good.

Oh and i am running the 1 gig internet connection so no problem with streaming.  The X-box phone or PC is the limiting factor in that area.

Offline TimJimothy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »
If you're in fox sports KC viewing area, you definitely do get the channel if you choose that option through SlingTV.

I've had SlingTv since early May. I'd give it a solid C+ grade. It's not great...the interface could use some major upgrades...and every once in awhile I have buffering issues, but it's been pretty decent. Picture quality is good.

So yeah, if you're hellbent on getting rid of cable this week, and still being able to watch the final few Royals games of the season, get the free 7 day pass and try it out.

I guess I'll keep it for awhile to see how much I use it during college football season. I tried a free trial week on Playstation Vue and thought it was a better product, but it doesn't have FSKC yet.

And, of course, if you're looking at cutting cable, be sure you know about stuff like Kodi and Firesticks etc...

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »
I like roku with netflix, amazon and HBO from time to time.  I bought a roku smart tv, good price picture is OK.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
Does PlayStation Vue work on Roku or do you need a console?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »
Does like a Samsung SmartTV negate the need for any other hardware?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
One quick bonus about SlingTV: it seems to have most of the channels that feature March Madness and you can watch on multiple devices (like phone and iPad) so it would be a great buy for the that glorious month of March.