Author Topic: 2016 non-qhatz ncaa football  (Read 99877 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 non-qhatz ncaa football
« Reply #1100 on: December 03, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »
If there is one thing I've learned about the CFP, it's that the committee will somehow justify putting Ohio State in the playoff no matter what.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 03, 2016, 11:37:37 PM »
I flip flop back and forth.  I think OSU is probably the better team, but winning your game should mean something.   Otherwise why have them?
i think if it wasn't Pedo State this would be a bigger deal but who wants to defend them?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1102 on: December 03, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »
I think that's part of it too for me.  Penn State basically showed you  can get away with it. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 03, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »
GMAFB. Everyone actually involved in the coverup should be in jail, but after that, I don't see any reason to somehow hold the football program to a higher standard.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 04, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »
ESPN making a big deal about Baker Mayfield coming back is hilarious. Where exactly was that midget system qb going to go? Something pro other than sports?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 04, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »
Penn State lost 2 games.  uw, osu and clemson all have 1 loss.  that's where the argument pretty much starts and ends for me.

this is just a weird year where the champion of probably the best conference had 2 losses.  congrats on winning the big ten, penn state.  that's quite an achievement and cause for celebration.  unfortunately for PSU, the out of conference games count too.

the two loss team should always get left out when compared to p5 teams with fewer losses.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:47:43 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 04, 2016, 12:52:42 AM »
Penn State lost 2 games.  uw, osu and clemson all have 1 loss.  that's where the argument pretty much starts and ends for me.

this is just a weird year where the champion of probably the best conference had 2 losses.  congrats on winning the big ten, penn state.  that's quite an achievement and cause for celebration.  unfortunately for PSU, the out of conference games count too.

the two loss team should always get left out when compared to p5 teams with fewer losses.

The problem is the committee pretty much used the opposite reasoning to put Ohio State in the playoff a couple years ago.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 04, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »

The problem is the committee pretty much used the opposite reasoning to put Ohio State in the playoff a couple years ago.
i don't have a problem with a conference championship being considered a tiebreaker of sorts for teams with the same number of losses.  i think SOS should be the tiebreaker, but whatever.

but i don't think, under any circumstance, a team with more losses should get in over a team with fewer losses.  that's like rule number 1 of college football:  whoever loses the least gets rewarded.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 04, 2016, 01:39:29 AM »
Conference championship games mean nothing at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 04, 2016, 01:54:39 AM »

They mean as much as any other game.  And they means as much as they ever have:  It's an achievement in and of itself and an opportunity to boost your SOS.

But I don't think it makes any sense to make conference championships a requirement.  They were never a requirement for going to the national championship ('01 Nebraska, '03 OU).

Putting PSU in wouldn't make any sense.  They lost more.  End of story.  Grats on your conference championship.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 04, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »

They mean as much as any other game.  And they means as much as they ever have:  It's an achievement in and of itself and an opportunity to boost your SOS.

But I don't think it makes any sense to make conference championships a requirement.  They were never a requirement for going to the national championship ('01 Nebraska, '03 OU).

Putting PSU in wouldn't make any sense.  They lost more.  End of story.  Grats on your conference championship.

It certainly was a requirement for Baylor and TCU in 2014. The committee has shown (and is about to show again) that conference championships matter, but only if the team that wins it is a big name team they want in the playoff.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 04, 2016, 08:42:31 AM »
the best 4 teams in the country according to the clamsometer are bama, osu, ou, clem

i don't care about records, the goal is to get the best teams in the playoffs and the clamsometer cuts through the bullshit

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »

i don't have a problem with a conference championship being considered a tiebreaker of sorts for teams with the same number of losses.  i think SOS should be the tiebreaker, but whatever.

but i don't think, under any circumstance, a team with more losses should get in over a team with fewer losses.  that's like rule number 1 of college football:  whoever loses the least gets rewarded.

Western Michigan has 0 losses. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 04, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »

It certainly was a requirement for Baylor and TCU in 2014. The committee has shown (and is about to show again) that conference championships matter, but only if the team that wins it is a big name team they want in the playoff.
It was a tiebreaker of sorts between teams with the same number of losses.  I don't think we even need to reach the discussion this year.  If you have teams (with passable schedules) with the same number of losses, then you can start looking at all the other crap. 

Western Michigan has 0 losses. 

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 04, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
Feel like Conference championships have to matter. If you get in without one, it's complete bullshit. If a team is good enough to get into the playoffs, they should be good enough to win their rough ridin' conference. If not, then that's their own fault for sucking ass and not getting the job done when they should have.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
Feel like Conference championships have to matter. If you get in without one, it's complete bullshit. If a team is good enough to get into the playoffs, they should be good enough to win their rough ridin' conference. If not, then that's their own fault for sucking ass and not getting the job done when they should have.

Well then make it a rule that the CFP takes the 4 best conference champions.  But prioritizing conference records before actual overall records is just crazy to me.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 04, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
pmshead has a washington hoodie.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 04, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
This year pretty mich shows why an 8 team playoff would make everyone happy. Conference champs in Bama, Penn St, Clemson, OU, Washington. tOSU and Michigan at larges and Western Michigan top non p5

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 04, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
I'm satisfied. eff Penn State. Not because of the scandal. Just because eff them, they suck.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 04, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
Lost in all of the playoff drama is that the K-State coaching tree won 2 conference championships yesterday.

Truly America's team :love:

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
Non-con SOS only matters to teams outside the P5.  You're better off scheduling garbage and then winning your conference championship like Washington.

If OU had done this instead of playing Houston and tOSU they'd be undefeated with the 2 seed.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1121 on: December 04, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
No

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1122 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
I hope they'd be rightfully left out.  The Big 12 is piss poor. 

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 04, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »
I hope they'd be rightfully left out.  The Big 12 is piss poor.

No way OU at 12-0 and ranked #2 in the country would be left out.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1124 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
They wouldn't be #2.