Author Topic: Hey guys who buy crap for work!  (Read 14615 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Hey guys who buy crap for work!
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Every company has a gate keeper as well. Doesn't hurt to ask for strategy ideas.

The Big Train

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
One of the best things about software is you can get a free trial then just buy it or don't and download it.  All of that can be accomplished without talking to someone

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 10:50:59 AM »
If you get cell numbers, MM, text. I've had a lot of success pursuing candidates by doing this. Easy for them to say no sometimes? Sure, but it's an easier way to get ppl to respond.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
One of the best things about software is you can get a free trial then just buy it or don't and download it.  All of that can be accomplished without talking to someone
Depends on the product.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

But if you don't know the product exists, then you don't know to go and download it.

The Big Train

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
I wrote an algorithm that searches the Internet for any new software so don't tell me I don't know

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
^^^^^ Sounds shadier than cold calling ppl

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
If you get cell numbers, MM, text. I've had a lot of success pursuing candidates by doing this. Easy for them to say no sometimes? Sure, but it's an easier way to get ppl to respond.

I'm fine if we've had interaction and I've expressed interest, but do not "cold text".

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
If you have to trick people into listening to your pitch your product probably sucks.

That's not a reflection of how good the product is,  it's more about how good the marketer or sales person is.

I try to show the value of my product in the opening line of the email.  Maybe I should try putting the value in the subject line. Some people won't open regardless but if I can get someone like michigancat to at least open it, then that's progress.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »

I'm fine if we've had interaction and I've expressed interest, but do not "cold text".
Definitely. I always start off with.. "Hi _______, how are you doing today? It was nice meeting you at the Indiana convention and I really appreciated our conversation about such and such. I just wanted to follow up with you.....blah blah blah... Let me know if you're still interested in reconnecting. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks and I hope all is well.."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
I wrote an algorithm that searches the Internet for any new software so don't tell me I don't know

You are a very efficient employee, TBT. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
My industry is not like many, I guess, but the idea of cold calling instantly puts me on edge and much more likely to either hang up or tell you no regardless. 

Related things I hate, not in any specific order:
- phone ringing
 - unknown or blocked numbers
 - Local number bullshit fuckaround on caller id for cold calls
 - Cold calls
 - calls where ppl act like you have a past relationship
 - calls where ppl are hesitant to actually tell you what the eff they want or why they are calling upfront.

One of the worst ideas man has come up with is the one where they try to start off a biz relationship with a trick.  I mean, if you want to be taken as a huckster, by all means, but if not, that is a really stupid idea.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »
I had to get a software quote a few weeks ago. So I request the quote online, but of course they have to call me. So I talk to a software salesman who doesn't really know anything technically about the product. Luckily I already knew what I needed and told him. So he gives me a quote "even though I'm not really supposed to give quotes over the phone". Whatever.

But then he had to set me up with an account rep. Also be had to coordinate with a technical person to verify the modules I need to do the functions I need to do, although I was already right on what I needed.

So now the account rep has been calling me every week asking me the status on us making a purchase, even though I told both guys that we are looking at 3 to 6 months before we make a decision and get approval to buy.

In summary, software sales people are annoying.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
The worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
I'd always have an IT guy sit in on the call with me, to describe the product to greater detail. Sounds like you might have been dealing with an inside sales rep, who takes renewable orders and such.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
People who cold call should probably just take a time machine back to whatever juncture it was in their life that turned them into a horrible person and fix that decision
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
I had to get a software quote a few weeks ago. So I request the quote online, but of course they have to call me. So I talk to a software salesman who doesn't really know anything technically about the product. Luckily I already knew what I needed and told him. So he gives me a quote "even though I'm not really supposed to give quotes over the phone". Whatever.

But then he had to set me up with an account rep. Also be had to coordinate with a technical person to verify the modules I need to do the functions I need to do, although I was already right on what I needed.

So now the account rep has been calling me every week asking me the status on us making a purchase, even though I told both guys that we are looking at 3 to 6 months before we make a decision and get approval to buy.

Holy eff I hate this. Hey bad person sales people, just look at the rough ridin' email/online submission and email back a quote. You don't need to call me just to justify your job.

(not related to software in anyway)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
Yes!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
I spend most of my day reaching out to people trying to sell them crap.  I have leads where people have been to our website, visited our booth at a trade show or just generally shown some interest in our product to the extent that they’ve given my company their contact info.   Reaching out to those people is pretty simple. They tend to reply to emails, pick up their phone when you call and/or accept a meeting with me.

Obviously it would be best if all business could be done that way but getting the word out about our product via marketing can be expensive and not always effective.  As a result, we do a pretty fair amount of cold calling and emailing to make connections.  More and more people I speak to have become increasing irritated by unsolicited calls/emails.

My questions to those of you who routinely or even occasionally purchase products and services for your company are:
Do you ever pick up your phone when you see it’s from a vendor or a number you don’t recognize?
Has anyone ever left you a sales pitch on a voicemail that motivated you to call them back?
Have you ever purchased anything for the company that began by someone cold calling/cold emailing you?
Do you open emails from people that are obviously trying to sell you something?
If so, do you ever respond?
Do you accept LinkedIn connection requests from people you don’t know?

No
No
Yes
I mean, outlook preview shows them, so sometimes I've looked, but rarely
Yes, but rarely from those outside my industry

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
People who cold call should probably just take a time machine back to whatever juncture it was in their life that turned them into a horrible person and fix that decision
My first two jobs in radio was my manager slapping a phone book on my desk and telling me to pick up the phone. This turned into me walking into random businesses, introducing myself, and handing off a business card. I just figured this is how all the ESPN guys made it.  :frown:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »

Holy eff I hate this. Hey bad person sales people, just look at the rough ridin' email/online submission and email back a quote. You don't need to call me just to justify your job.

the worst is when you request a quote and literally within 2 minutes they call.   Hello, are you really that hard up for business?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »

the worst is when you request a quote and literally within 2 minutes they call.   Hello, are you really that hard up for business?
Commission based folks? eff yes they are!

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »
Me: "Hello *Cold Caller*, we have a longstanding business relationship with another corporation that provides the same service as you. Please send your contact information to [email protected]. I will contact you should our relationship with our current provider ever change. Thanks, have a great day." *click*

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »
I better get bomb ass seats to a sporting event of my choice before you even think about getting my biz.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »
I better get bomb ass seats to a sporting event of my choice before you even think about getting my biz.
I have budget to take you to a nice lunch if you're willing to pretend you're interested my product in front my engineer I'll be bringing along. Then we can talk about the C@ts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk