Author Topic: Tee ball grievances  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tee ball grievances
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
Wow what timing.

I just got word I'm head coach of lil CF3's t-ball team, with games starting 6/4. Please post coaching advice for me. I plan to be firm but fair.
totally serious here - take all of the bats (as previously mentioned, the ones with older brothers will have at least 2) and hang from the backstop high enough only an adult can reach them.
This seems like extremely good advice. Every practice/game that toddlerdobber plays in has about 400 near misses of a kid swinging a bat and almost hitting another kid.
yeah, I was amazed by how simple yet effective it is at avoiding child head injuries when a Dad with 2 older players did it at my kid's second practice.

Baseball is one of the few topics I will readily admit I don't know crap.  Here are few things I have seen my kid's coach do that I liked

-have them play catch with a tennis ball, first without a glove but using the nonthrowing hand only - the kid that has been playing catch with his older siblings will really be able to catch, most will try to use 2 hands

-practice running the bases - running thru first & home but stopping at 2&3

-lots of fielding grounders and throwing to first

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I coach my kid's basketball teams and have helped with other sports (I also umpired little league ball for 7 years).

I've found that an email before the season to all parents reminding them it is about the kids, that you're out there for fun, and the like seems to prevent many problems. 

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
Also, the parents signed their kids up to be active.

Don't be afraid to make the little bastards run.  The parents will thank you for making their kids tired.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2016, 04:26:54 PM »
Most parents and kids are pretty cool. It makes for a fun narrative to complain about helicopter parents or disrespectful kids but my experience has been like 98% of them are great.

Also never make kids run unless they are learning a skill - like dribbling a soccer ball or chasing after fly balls in baseball or something like 3 man weave in basketball. You only have an hour - don't waste it on stupid crap the kids hate that doesn't do them any good in the long run. (some kids will actually like it, but they don't realize their coach is an idiot)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
At that age rotate them one spot every game and then have them hit at whatever position number they are at. And since you will have more than 9 just rotate the catcher or right fielder. Works great and there is literally nothing to bitch about.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
At that age rotate them one spot every game and then have them hit at whatever position number they are at. And since you will have more than 9 just rotate the catcher or right fielder. Works great and there is literally nothing to bitch about.

I'm not worried at all. This is a rec league that is pretty low key. I had a parent ask me what kind of glove they needed and where to buy it.

Most parents and kids are pretty cool. It makes for a fun narrative to complain about helicopter parents or disrespectful kids but my experience has been like 98% of them are great.

Also never make kids run unless they are learning a skill - like dribbling a soccer ball or chasing after fly balls in baseball or something like 3 man weave in basketball. You only have an hour - don't waste it on stupid crap the kids hate that doesn't do them any good in the long run. (some kids will actually like it, but they don't realize their coach is an idiot)

I plan on doing stuff like having them time how fast they can run the bases or stuff like that at the end of practice, but I would never have a team of 5 year olds just run. That's lame. I always like the "stations" approach to baseball practice. 1 coach has a throwing station with 4 kids, 1 coach has a ground ball station with 4 kids, etc. and you rotate every 12-15 min.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »

yeah. probably not necessary for tee ball (but probably helpful), but I keep a google sheet of playing time for every game so I'm sure everyone is playing equally and with different players in soccer and basketball. And then I have it on my phone so its easy to access during games.

I'm not worried at all. This is a rec league that is pretty low key. I had a parent ask me what kind of glove they needed and where to buy it.

I plan on doing stuff like having them time how fast they can run the bases or stuff like that at the end of practice, but I would never have a team of 5 year olds just run. That's lame. I always like the "stations" approach to baseball practice. 1 coach has a throwing station with 4 kids, 1 coach has a ground ball station with 4 kids, etc. and you rotate every 12-15 min.

yeah. someone in this thread suggested running them.

And personally, I think it's stupid to have kids of any age "just run". I mean you can always wear someone out with a ball in their hand.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
how much are pitching machines?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
Wow what timing.

I just got word I'm head coach of lil CF3's t-ball team, with games starting 6/4. Please post coaching advice for me. I plan to be firm but fair.

Priority one is getting them to be able to play catch. Once you get that down always keep practices moving with small groups rotating various drills. Keep it fun. There is nothing worse for the kids than standing around 'scrimmaging'
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
There is nothing worse for the kids than standing around 'scrimmaging'

:dubious:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:52 PM »
There is nothing worse for the kids than standing around 'scrimmaging'

:dubious:

what's not to get?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
that's not how i remember youth sports practices.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 09:39:46 PM »
Scrimaging is kind of a necessary evil so they have some idea where to line up in the games but it is super painful when most can barely hit

Also, little kids love to run if it is a race, especially if the can beat the coach

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »
Scrimmages are the best part of practice because it's the closest to playing the game. Drills are the sucky part
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
If you just played a 1hr game every practice you would be the most popular coach ever
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »

Yeah, in my experience it's about 90%. But it's amazing the negative impact that 10% can have on a coach/team. Granted my experience is coaching high school kids.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:15 PM »
If you just played a 1hr game every practice you would be the most popular coach ever

yes, unless millenials have ruined scrimmaging too.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »
toddlerdobber's 'league' practices for 30 minutes then they play a 30 minute game against another team.

Everyone bats one time. Last kid runs the bases, regardless whether out or not. Then rotate offense to defense.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2016, 12:03:34 AM »
srimmaging is def the best part of most sports practices, but it sucks for baseball, especially with little kids.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »
Cal Ripken and his brother Billy wrote a book on coaching little league that has a lot of great stuff. A contest at the end of practice is fun. Could be longest throw, most accurate throw, etc.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
"Run to (insert base or position on field)"
When they get there, then repeat. Killed more than 5 minutes yesterday doing this and the kids loved it.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
Wow what timing.

Don't practice longer than an hour.

Post practice and post game speeches <60 seconds.  Make sure your kid rides with someone else so you're not tempted to analyze their performance on the entire drive home.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »
how much are pitching machines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Louisville-Slugger-UPM-45-Blue-Flame-Pitching-Machine-Retails-169-99-/351737026261?hash=item51e52916d5:g:4p4AAOSwdWBXO6ue

You can pick these up for < $100.  Works great for 1st -3rd year players (t ball thru machine/coach pitch).  Eliminates the dad who wants to throw bp, but has a worse arm than his kid.

Tom

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
A lot of great points in this thread.  I grew up playing in Manhattan city leagues, and now my kids play in the same leagues.  Two of the biggest differences I see are pop and cleats.  It used to be that parents took turns bringing pop cans for after games.  Now no parent would dream of bringing pop.  This is a good thing I suppose.

Cleats are the other thing that changed.  Back in the 80s we all just wore our regular sneakers, but now every kid has cleats.  Why in the world would all those parents think they need to spend a bunch of money on cleats?  After a season or two of wearing regular shoes I found a pair at goodwill for $5 and my kid was just about the happiest he has ever been in his life.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »
A lot of great points in this thread.  I grew up playing in Manhattan city leagues, and now my kids play in the same leagues.  Two of the biggest differences I see are pop and cleats.  It used to be that parents took turns bringing pop cans for after games.  Now no parent would dream of bringing pop.  This is a good thing I suppose.

Cleats are the other thing that changed.  Back in the 80s we all just wore our regular sneakers, but now every kid has cleats.  Why in the world would all those parents think they need to spend a bunch of money on cleats?  After a season or two of wearing regular shoes I found a pair at goodwill for $5 and my kid was just about the happiest he has ever been in his life.

Cleats help. Cheap ones cost about $15 bucks. They work fine. 6-year-olds don't care that Starter cleats aren't cool.