Author Topic: Tee ball grievances  (Read 8942 times)

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
  • Cocaine is a helluva drug
    • View Profile
Re: Tee ball grievances
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
I umped baseball for 10 years, if you had to throw out an entire section of parents that is v bad and probably somewhat your fault for being confrontational.

I didn't have to throw out an entire section.  Their problem wasn't really with me.  They were trying to start fights with the parents on the other team.  They were both tourney teams so they saw each other in league play and tourneys.  The parents for the better behaved team told the other parents to get over being pissed about the strike zone because it was little league baseball.  The other team's parents got pissed at that and started being really aggressive with the better behaved team.  I wasn't about to be the umpire who allowed a brawl to break out behind him without tossing parents, so I tossed 6 of them.

I was never one of those umps that made a scene about throwing people out.  I would calmly walk up to them and say they had been ejected and they had to wait for the game to be over in the parking lot.  Some coaches want the ump to scream while ejecting them so I never fed into that stuff. 

I had one coach who was notorious for getting ejected one time try to pull every trick he could to get thrown out of a game when it was super hot one day.  I walked over to him and told him that he should save his energy because I wasn't about to throw him out so he could go sit in the A/C in his truck while we were out in the heat.  He looked up, laughed, and told me that it was worth a try.

In the early days when I umped that age kids, my zone was the size of north dakota. swing the bat or you're out.

I was the same way.  I told the kids that if it was below their shoulders and just above their knees they should be swinging  because I would call it a strike.  Those walk-fest games drove me crazy.  Never had a parent or coach that had a problem with that policy.  Most of them loved it.  I had parents that would get excited when they would see me because they knew I was really good about finishing games before the time limit.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
When is kickball season WackyCat08?
I'm done with it. I retired last fall. The extra cash wasn't worth the headache anymore. Plus, the new job.  :thumbs:

It pretty much runs from March till early november.  :Yuck:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
Retired at 30, what a life
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
I umped baseball for 10 years, if you had to throw out an entire section of parents that is v bad and probably somewhat your fault for being confrontational.

I didn't have to throw out an entire section.  Their problem wasn't really with me.  They were trying to start fights with the parents on the other team.  They were both tourney teams so they saw each other in league play and tourneys.  The parents for the better behaved team told the other parents to get over being pissed about the strike zone because it was little league baseball.  The other team's parents got pissed at that and started being really aggressive with the better behaved team.  I wasn't about to be the umpire who allowed a brawl to break out behind him without tossing parents, so I tossed 6 of them.

I was never one of those umps that made a scene about throwing people out.  I would calmly walk up to them and say they had been ejected and they had to wait for the game to be over in the parking lot.  Some coaches want the ump to scream while ejecting them so I never fed into that stuff. 

I had one coach who was notorious for getting ejected one time try to pull every trick he could to get thrown out of a game when it was super hot one day.  I walked over to him and told him that he should save his energy because I wasn't about to throw him out so he could go sit in the A/C in his truck while we were out in the heat.  He looked up, laughed, and told me that it was worth a try.

In the early days when I umped that age kids, my zone was the size of north dakota. swing the bat or you're out.

I was the same way.  I told the kids that if it was below their shoulders and just above their knees they should be swinging  because I would call it a strike.  Those walk-fest games drove me crazy.  Never had a parent or coach that had a problem with that policy.  Most of them loved it.  I had parents that would get excited when they would see me because they knew I was really good about finishing games before the time limit.

gotcha. in all my seasons of umpiring I probably ejected less than 5 coaches. 2 or 3 of those were tournaments where teams would play like 6 games in 3 days and by Sunday everyone is exhausted and sloppy and tired and grumpy.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
My daughter's softball team won the other night.  While we were packing up and high fiving, the other team was made to line up and run sprints the entire time from handshake to snack dispersed to clean up and leaving.  They were still sprinting after I packed the car up.  WTF?  I guess when you play kid pitch and both teams combined for like 3 hits they just didn't want it enough?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How old were these kids?

12U

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »

First year kid pitch (9yo) and umps have adopted new mlb strike zone. We one last week 11 to 2 with ONE hit. Team beats us this week 12-1 with 2 hits. Bad baseball.

Yes, that's how the season started. They must have had a meeting or something. It was apparently the home plate ump's second ever game behind the dish so we didn't gripe.

The Big Train

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
Parents that think it's game 7 of the WS every pitch make me want to strangle them