Author Topic: Is there a gender salary inequality thread?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is there a gender salary inequality thread?
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/15102506/women-national-team-files-wage-discrimination-action-vs-us-soccer-federation

I pretty much categorically disagree with the notion that the WNT should receive equal pay as the MNT. Its complete bullshit that they aren't paid for every game though.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a gender salary inequality thread?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/15102506/women-national-team-files-wage-discrimination-action-vs-us-soccer-federation

I pretty much categorically disagree with the notion that the WNT should receive equal pay as the MNT. Its complete bullshit that they aren't paid for every game though.

Why do you disagree?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
The filing, citing figures from the USSF's 2015 financial report, says that despite the women's team generating nearly $20 million more revenue last year than the U.S. men's team, the women are paid almost four times less.

That is pretty stunning, but they definitely got a World Cup bump.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:04 AM »

Why do you disagree?

I don't accept that $20 million figure. If its correct then USSF needs to pay them their due but its worth noting that if that dollar figure is correct its an extreme exception based on there being a world cup played in Canada that we won and the fact that there was a new media rights deal for that world cup. There should just be a scale in place that allows the player pool for both genders to get a percentage of the earned money by the federation. But under this model it's likely to result in overall lower salaries for the women in the long run. 2015 was either the first or second most lucrative year for USSF women's soccer revenue o.a.t. If we were going to go to some wage scale based on revenue brought in it would be beneficial in the short term only.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »
I would be satisfied if the pay was determined as a proportion of revenue for both teams. If that is what the women are asking for it would be ridiculous not to give it to them on the spot.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
I would be satisfied if the pay was determined as a proportion of revenue for both teams. If that is what the women are asking for it would be ridiculous not to give it to them on the spot.

I don't think they really want that though. They want it for 2015, they definitely wouldn't want that for 2014. I would also wonder if the USSF did that then they would leave themselves liable for an equal opportunity lawsuit in non-world cup years.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
That's probably right. Can't blame them for trying though. Almost like asking your boss for a raise after a really good year. Or maybe like suing your boss for a raise.. Whatever.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
It seems as if USSF believes they sued for a raise before asking for one.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »
They've been rattling this saber for a long time, as you know MiR.  I think it's pretty dishonest to only cite one year (all I've seen in this new cycle of stories).  But I see from their position they feel they are getting a raw deal on many fronts, turf, to travel, to accommodations. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »
I've always been a little suspect of that 0.70 on the dollar figure that get's thrown around like it's 100% cement truth.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
I've always been a little suspect of that 0.70 on the dollar figure that get's thrown around like it's 100% cement truth.

Like everything political, stats are used and abused.  I tend to agree with it when you get more macro in your examination and not micro Job X men/women = these pays.  I do agree there are fair and unfair societal forces pushing women to less lucrative careers and even forces that change the perception of women in the work place.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »

Like everything political, stats are used and abused.  I tend to agree with it when you get more macro in your examination and not micro Job X men/women = these pays.  I do agree there are fair and unfair societal forces pushing women to less lucrative careers and even forces that change the perception of women in the work place.
Maybe so, but that's a fundamentally different problem than "equal pay for equal work."

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »

Why do you disagree?

I don't accept that $20 million figure. If its correct then USSF needs to pay them their due but its worth noting that if that dollar figure is correct its an extreme exception based on there being a world cup played in Canada that we won and the fact that there was a new media rights deal for that world cup. There should just be a scale in place that allows the player pool for both genders to get a percentage of the earned money by the federation. But under this model it's likely to result in overall lower salaries for the women in the long run. 2015 was either the first or second most lucrative year for USSF women's soccer revenue o.a.t. If we were going to go to some wage scale based on revenue brought in it would be beneficial in the short term only.

Makes sense.   This, to me, seems similar to CBAs in any sport.  Wouldn't it make sense for an agreement that a percentage of revenue goes to the athletes?  I get that it would create big disparities during non-world cup years but it seems like an extension of what is used in the industry.

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
As others have pointed out, instead of negotiating for more money, they sue. And in their lawsuit, they apparently say they are paid 4 times less than the men. (I don't know how this is even possible since 1 times less would be $0.) 
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
They've been rattling this saber for a long time, as you know MiR.  I think it's pretty dishonest to only cite one year (all I've seen in this new cycle of stories).  But I see from their position they feel they are getting a raw deal on many fronts, turf, to travel, to accommodations.

The one year is all you're seeing because that's the basis of the lawsuit. I'm guessing they will settle for mine money based on the 2015 world cup and victory tour, which they should get, but there is no way this results in equal pay. Their other issues are with FIFA and not the USSF.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
They don't have to play, JFC

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
What a ridiculous argument.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
They don't have to play, JFC

Minorities don't have to work at companies that discriminate against them either, JFC

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
Have you guys seen WNBA contracts? OMG! :lol:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
I think this is the perfect case to set the precedent for the farse that is "equal pay for equal work". I'm glad someone finally decided to move this misnomer to judgment.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »
I think this is the perfect case to set the precedent for the farse that is "equal pay for equal work". I'm glad someone finally decided to move this misnomer to judgment.

I'm certainly not advocating this be used as a litmus test for the entire debate.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »

I'm certainly not advocating this be used as a litmus test for the entire debate.

I think it would be great. It would force the superminority of leftists debating about it to take 5 seconds to think it through logically (if they are even physically able to), which should be enough to move on to something actually worth talking about.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 04:09:52 PM »
I assume the disparity is driven by men's leagues outside of the world cup.

I'm not sue I understand the question. Leagues around the world have little to nothing to do with how the national soccer federation pays their players

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 01:23:36 AM »
I assume the disparity is driven by men's leagues outside of the world cup.

I'm not sue I understand the question. Leagues around the world have little to nothing to do with how the national soccer federation pays their players

Due to competition for their time. I guess it also assumes sport leagues that employ athletes are a good way to find the best players. In no way am I saying the current level of compensation is adaquate.

Other assumption was that USA mens team actually has stud contracts in whatever league they play in. Not a big soccer fan.

I still don't think I understand what you're asking. What the men's and women's players make for salaries on their clubs are totally and completely separate from their national team compensation. National team play is also separate from league play. Most leagues take a break during times when the national team plays.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »
I think what he is saying that expectations are different for pay depending on what their regular team salary is.  If a player is getting 1 mil with his club, $50k may not be worth it for them to spend time with the national team.  To a player getting $50k with their club, $50k is pretty good compensation to play with the national team.

Basically a millionaire isn't going to take a second job unless it's worthwhile money-wise.