Author Topic: Is there a gender salary inequality thread?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a gender salary inequality thread?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I think what he is saying that expectations are different for pay depending on what their regular team salary is.  If a player is getting 1 mil with his club, $50k may not be worth it for them to spend time with the national team.  To a player getting $50k with their club, $50k is pretty good compensation to play with the national team.

Basically a millionaire isn't going to take a second job unless it's worthwhile money-wise.

Yes this, their market rate would be influenced by their club salary as would the WNT.

Again not saying that the current WNT salary reflects the interest and money they generate for that specific team. For all I know the contract has been neglected for many years to the player's detriment while interest rose.

Got it, thanks. In some ways that makes sense but the USSF does not pay that way. A rookie in MLS gets essentially the same as the highest paid club player who currently is Michael Bradley. There is a base pay that everyone of each gender gets and then incentives added onto the base pay. The women start with a much lower base. Where USSF has erred is that they do stupid stuff like not giving equal per diem. In some ways I get not paying the same for performance bonuses because I'm sure that has something to do with the amount of money the federation gets from FIFA.

I am going to change my stance on this if this story is true:
http://www.businessinsider.com/men-women-us-soccer-player-salaries-2016-4 mg
I don't know how the women can possibly make more than the men this year with the men hosting Copa Centenario. If they in fact are making good money for USSF in the off cycle years they should be paid accordingly.