Author Topic: Tough Political Questions  (Read 9460 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Tough Political Questions
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
Maybe provide an example of an issue that is in actuality pretty simple that people disagree on?

An excellent question.  I really should be clear about what is meant by a "simple" issue (as opposed to a complicated issue).  I was trying to think of a contemporaneous example as I wrote my previous post.  Maybe vaccinations, but I suspect I could be quite wrong.   That's the fun of this thread.

I think vaccinations is complicated.  Some people want them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are against them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are okay with them but don't think the government should have any say in the issue whatsoever.
Is there any issue (political or not) that is not complicated then?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
Maybe provide an example of an issue that is in actuality pretty simple that people disagree on?

An excellent question.  I really should be clear about what is meant by a "simple" issue (as opposed to a complicated issue).  I was trying to think of a contemporaneous example as I wrote my previous post.  Maybe vaccinations, but I suspect I could be quite wrong.   That's the fun of this thread.

I think vaccinations is complicated.  Some people want them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are against them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are okay with them but don't think the government should have any say in the issue whatsoever.

That's what I'm saying...it's an issue because it's complicated.  If it weren't complicated, it wouldn't be an issue.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
I think vaccinations is incredibly simple.  The government should have a say when the well being of other people is involved. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
I think vaccinations is incredibly simple.  The government should have a say when the well being of other people is involved.

Is the well being of the group more important than the rights of the individual?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »
I think the death penalty is an example of a simple political question

The influence of tax policy on the economy is a tough one

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »

Is the well being of the group more important than the rights of the individual?

I believe an individual's rights end when the encroach on the safety of others.  Kids who can't be vaccinated have the right not to die of whooping cough because Timmy's mom read a blog post.  Just as a child doesn't have the right to drive or is required to be educated, there are plenty of laws made to look out for a minor's safety as well as society's best interest.  It seems completely arbitrary and downright dangerous to draw a line in the sand with vaccinations.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »
Vaccinations is the simplest one ITT for sure.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »

That's what I'm saying...it's an issue because it's complicated.  If it weren't complicated, it wouldn't be an issue.
I understand your position, suspect its perfectly reasonable, and I honestly am having a hard time coming up with a fool proof counter-example (I knew that vaccination one wouldn't be good).   If the statement is that no issue is simple then I don't think I argue against that because it's always possible to (perhaps artificially) introduce complications.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Free speech is pretty tough. It's like, you can say whatever you want but it cannot be a threat or a lie under oath and also you cannot use your speech to silence others. If you cannot use speech to silence others then the government can silence your speech to allow others' free speech. But then it's up to the government's determination as to who is trying to silence who's speech. So it's like, who can speak freely and what can you say? And the government is like, don't worry, we'll let you know.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »

I believe an individual's rights end when the encroach on the safety of others.  Kids who can't be vaccinated have the right not to die of whooping cough because Timmy's mom read a blog post.  Just as a child doesn't have the right to drive or is required to be educated, there are plenty of laws made to look out for a minor's safety as well as society's best interest.  It seems completely arbitrary and downright dangerous to draw a line in the sand with vaccinations.

If you gave a vaccine to one of your twins and boom they died right there 2 seconds later, would you vaccinate the other?  Should the government force you to?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 05:43:24 PM »
Yes and yea

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »
Wow sd pretty dumb, even for you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
what if the first twin turned into a goblin

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
Evil goblin or just misunderstood?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
What if the twin blinked twice and then cried then nothing happened for 10 years but then the kid could not do math on grade level but you also were bad at math?  Vaccines or chem trails?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

What if the twin blinked twice and then cried then nothing happened for 10 years but then the kid could not do math on grade level but you also were bad at math?  Vaccines or chem trails?

Yep

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »

Can the other twin do math?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »

Can the other twin do math?
The other twin was killed by its twin after finding a loaded gun on the nightstand when they were toddlers.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »
both twins actually drowned in their pool even though their parents kept loaded guns in every room.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
Anti-vaxxers should save politics the trouble and kill themselves
:adios:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
do we need to give some people polio and smallpox and other nasty crap so the anti vaccine crowd can be like oh um never mind we will get the shots now.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
do we need to give some people polio and smallpox and other nasty crap so the anti vaccine crowd can be like oh um never mind we will get the shots now.

that is a tough question.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
I've always wondered, if your kid is vaccinated, then why do you care if someone else's kid isn't?  Your kid is safe, right?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
#TeamEdward or #TeamJacob? That question could eff up some campaigns.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:34 AM »
I've always wondered, if your kid is vaccinated, then why do you care if someone else's kid isn't?  Your kid is safe, right?

I heard a portion of an interview on this a month or two ago.  There is some sort of tipping point(% of pop) that they try to keep the vac diseases under.  Evidently, if we cross that tipping point, we lose control over spreading to ppl without vac.  Evidently, Whooping Cough and measles are past that tipping point in CA as of last summer.