Author Topic: Tough Political Questions  (Read 9416 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Tough Political Questions
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
I am sure many people think certain political questions have easy answers, but what are some issues that you think require deeper insight?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Political Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »
economics

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
economics
Ok, what about economics?  Can you give an example of an issue that is often considered simple, but is in fact pretty complicated?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
economics
Ok, what about economics?  Can you give an example of an issue that is often considered simple, but is in fact pretty complicated?

taxes

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
economics

taxes
Hmmm I suspect you are not being serious (and that's ok) by being so vague.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »

economics

taxes

I thought we were just listing stuff.  I do believe what I have posted.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

economics

taxes

Oh I see, so you believe taxes are a political issue with a complicated answer.  I think so too, its not so simple as "we need to lower taxes!" or "we need to raise taxes!", or "we need to close the loopholes!" or "we need a flat tax!"   

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
I think nuclear energy is a tough political issue.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
Immigration,  I want to let everyone in who wants to be here, but also realize we are at a point where we can be incredibly selective and only allow in the elites. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »

economics

taxes

Oh I see, so you believe taxes are a political issue with a complicated answer.  I think so too, its not so simple as "we need to lower taxes!" or "we need to raise taxes!", or "we need to close the loopholes!" or "we need a flat tax!"

Ok so do we dive more into this issue or do we just list the next one?

Honestly every major issue seems pretty easy at first but is actually complicated.  If it weren't complicated then everyone would just believe that thing and it wouldn't be contentious.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
Issues of tax incentives to get businesses to move in are complex!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Reforming Medicare and Medicaid, and healthcare reform in general, are probably the toughest questions because nobody wants to hear "hey, that treatment you need is expensive, and somebody has to pay for it."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »

economics

taxes

I would like to dive in, but hey let's let things flow as they may.

Honestly every major issue seems pretty easy at first but is actually complicated.  If it weren't complicated then everyone would just believe that thing and it wouldn't be contentious.

I agree that most major issues are major issues because they are tough problems.  I don't think, however, everyone would believe the same thing even if the issue were simple. I think humans are pretty contrarian by nature and will form "camps" based on almost anything.

I am not sure if contentiousness is necessarily related to an issue being complicated.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
i've always thought abortion's a tough one

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Reforming Medicare and Medicaid, and healthcare reform in general, are probably the toughest questions because nobody wants to hear "hey, that treatment you need is expensive, and somebody has to pay for it."
But it sounds like you think the answer is quite simple.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
How so?  What is a good argument for each side (of course there might be three or four sides, but you can condense into fewer subsets for the sake of simplicity)?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »

economics

taxes

I would like to dive in, but hey let's let things flow as they may.

I agree that most major issues are major issues because they are tough problems.  I don't think, however, everyone would believe the same thing even if the issue were simple. I think humans are pretty contrarian by nature and will form "camps" based on almost anything.

I am not sure if contentiousness is necessarily related to an issue being complicated.

Maybe provide an example of an issue that is in actuality pretty simple that people disagree on?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »

No - I don't think it's simple. And it is certainly not politically simple. There are things we can do to improve our healthcare system, but no solution is a 100% cure-all. Good treatment will still cost money, somebody is going to have to pay for it, and life is never going to be "fair" when it comes to health and mortality.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »
How so?  What is a good argument for each side (of course there might be three or four sides, but you can condense into fewer subsets for the sake of simplicity)?

1. It is unfair to a tax paying small business to give a tax break to a big business to come into a town. Everyone should pay the same! A small business has to work much harder to compete, and giving the big guys an easier path is crony capitalism. Businesses should be treated the same, regardless of size. 

2. Without the break, the bigger business wouldn't come into town at all, and with their business they bring lots of people, commerce, potential home owners, etc. The unfairness of giving them tax breaks is made up for in the increase in economic flow elsewhere in the city. The growth of cities depend on big guys moving in.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
Maybe provide an example of an issue that is in actuality pretty simple that people disagree on?

An excellent question.  I really should be clear about what is meant by a "simple" issue (as opposed to a complicated issue).  I was trying to think of a contemporaneous example as I wrote my previous post.  Maybe vaccinations, but I suspect I could be quite wrong.   That's the fun of this thread. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
Chingon and deep thinking? Lol, OMG no thanks. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »

No - I don't think it's simple. And it is certainly not politically simple. There are things we can do to improve our healthcare system, but no solution is a 100% cure-all. Good treatment will still cost money, somebody is going to have to pay for it, and life is never going to be "fair" when it comes to health and mortality.
So you don't think the answer is "hey, that treatment you need is expensive, somebody has to pay for it, and the public can't pay for everything so you're not going to get it"?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »

An excellent question.  I really should be clear about what is meant by a "simple" issue (as opposed to a complicated issue).  I was trying to think of a contemporaneous example as I wrote my previous post.  Maybe vaccinations, but I suspect I could be quite wrong.   That's the fun of this thread.

I think vaccinations is complicated.  Some people want them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are against them for a variety of reasons.  Some people are okay with them but don't think the government should have any say in the issue whatsoever.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
Water boarding/etc vs human rights is a tough one. I understand that these practices may provide information that may stop a tragic event, but doing these things is below who we are as a people.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »
Why is golf and cuban butt sniffing more important than being president.  I am ashamed of Obama's response to Brussels.  Why is personality trumping the ability to lead and effectively govern.  Ryan is the only sane person left in DC leadership.