Author Topic: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue  (Read 21693 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
It's confusing to me that you can look at the scope of his tenure as an AD and say the main focus has been winning. I think he is trying to achieve those aforementioned goals and then ride out when/if the winning comes.

Like I said, you will see what you want to see. There has been a good deal of success with John here. We won big 12 conf titles in two sports that had never won them before. FB was in top 10 not even 15 months ago and has six straight bowls. Track has produced two of the greatest athletes ever to attend KState, and national champions. You can also say FB was down last year and MBB has been down even further the last two years. I think Frank leaving, oscar replacing him, and the last two seasons is a significant trend. I do not agree with you that it demonstrates a lack of focus on winning.

The puzzling choice of oscar Weber makes everything extremely gray.  He wasn't hiring an ascending coach.  He didn't pull a lateral hire.  He took a guy off of the scrap heap, who was headed to the College of Charleston, and gave him Frank's contract.  And now, when oscar's trajectory is starting to mirror what happened at Illinois before he got fired, the perception is that he wanted some intangible thing like compliance.  Two seasons of missing the NIT erase the goodwill of that Big 12 title very quickly, especially when that's accompanied by a first round loss to a #13 seed in the same year.

The refusal to call a spade a spade, which is that Currie made a mistake in hiring oscar, if for nothing other than the fact that it was a divisive hire to begin with, is frustrating.  You asked someone else what constitutes success.  Well, what are peer institutions doing?  What has Iowa State been able to do in the last five years?  5 NCAA tournament appearances, 2 Sweet 16's, 2 conference tournament championships, etc.  Would I take that over our one shared Big 12 title?  Yes.  Is there something Iowa State inherently has that we don't that inspires basketball success?  No.  Why can't we have that?  Why should we expect anything less than that?

Do I think a path to showing we're serious about those expectations includes firing oscar Weber and hiring Brad Underwood?  Yes.  Do I believe that finances are playing a part in preventing that?  Yes.  Do I believe that hiring Brad Underwood and having a basketball program on par with Iowa State is higher on Currie's list than completing BSFS renovations and building a war chest for the next football coach?  No.

And you know what?  If that's what Currie wants, and it's what he's prioritized, I'm fine with that.  I agree that it all begins and ends with football.  But what I don't want is some ruse put forward by the athletic department that oscar Weber's program is the best option we have on the table, and we believe that this is our best shot at winning, because that's complete and utter bullshit.  If our primary objective was winning, we would have fired oscar's ass, and John would be in Brooklyn right now laying roses at the door of Brad Underwood's hotel room door.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
If our primary objective was winning, we would have fired oscar's ass, and John would be in Brooklyn right now laying roses at the door of Brad Underwood's hotel room door.

What if john already knows he can't get brad?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »
If our primary objective was winning, we would have fired oscar's ass, and John would be in Brooklyn right now laying roses at the door of Brad Underwood's hotel room door.

If he wants to win, is risk adverse, the frank exit was actually equally or more on frank, then he should have no issue getting brad.  If brad doesn't want to come, it's because he wouldn't work here given past experiences, imo.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »
I feel like there are people outside of the athletic department that can influence Brad to come home.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
I bet Rick Rampus could get it done.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »
Currie wants to win, he also doesn't want to work with Frank Martin and he legit thought oscar Weber could get the job done.  Which is easier to believe:

Currie is some evil cartoon genius with a secret plan to maximize profits and build himself a nice new office while losing as much as possible

OR

He has a major blind spot with regards to head coaching experience and made a bad, panicked decision after whiffing on his first choice for basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the former is what is happening.  However, as I said in another post in this thread, it's about where you prioritize basketball in the hierarchy of what it is you want to get done with limited resources.

And do I believe there is a little piece of Currie's ego in this process that's wanting oscar to ultimately succeed to prove himself right?  Of course.  If this class of freshmen develop together, and they go back to the tournament and somehow eventually get to the second weekend, a part of his ego is validated.

I 100% agree with you in that I think he's a ruthless guy.  I also think ego is baked into that ruthlessness, and he's not willing at this point to call Weber a failure.  And the fact that firing Weber to hire Underwood, and take a $3 million loss in the process, is a significant blow to said ego because he could have had Brad at a significant discount four years ago, and he didn't take him when he had the chance.  Now that panicked decision may set back some of his other major goals, especially if he has to go beg Carl Ice, Paul Edgerley, or the Vanier family to help clean up the mess he made when he locked himself in a Dallas hotel room four years ago.

And does the lack of a real financial incentive give him some internal validation and justification to give oscar more time?  Sure it does.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Hiring oscar because it made good financial sense without potential NCAA headaches is a lot smarter than hiring oscar because you expected him to win more than he has thus far.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
I feel like there are people outside of the athletic department that can influence Brad to come home.

LHC Bill Snyder proves that with the right support, you can survive and thrive in Currie's department.

And I also guess that whoever cuts the check to make that move would tell Currie to keep his goddamn hands out of trash cans and leave Brad the eff alone if he wants to build anything else.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Currie, "whatever, chief"

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »

LHC Bill Snyder proves that with the right support, you can survive and thrive in Currie's department.

And I also guess that whoever cuts the check to make that move would tell Currie to keep his goddamn hands out of trash cans and leave Brad the eff alone if he wants to build anything else.

It helps when you are a HOF'er and besties with the largest donor, tho.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »

It helps when you are a HOF'er and besties with the largest donor, tho.

Agreed, but you also lose some leverage when you go beg the big money to fix your WTF hire.

Offline Boondock Poonhound

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »

Save me a trip to the Seattle YMCA and tell me why. It might impact whether I renew the Ahearn and those good seats. I have already done my duty and fired off a letter to JC, but I'm not interested in paying to watch losery basketball.
"He's in Shape !"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

Save me a trip to the Seattle YMCA and tell me why. It might impact whether I renew the Ahearn and those good seats. I have already done my duty and fired off a letter to JC, but I'm not interested in paying to watch losery basketball.

Go to FattyFest.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
I agree that it all begins and ends with football.  But what I don't want is some ruse put forward by the athletic department that oscar Weber's program is the best option we have on the table, and we believe that this is our best shot at winning, because that's complete and utter bullshit.

So much this.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2016, 07:57:51 PM »
OMG Panjandrum is giving me a Migraine. 

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:02 PM »
i don't think currie's decision will be about prioritizing the budget over wins, risk aversion, prioritizing football or anything like that.  i think it will just be that he will not fire a coach that he (and many other objective observers) does not perceive as having performed below the standard of the job.

it's not normal to fire someone who is performing adequately just to be able hire someone else who is better.  sports (players, not coaches) is about the only arena i can think of where that would be normal.

he should do it.  he risks being blamed if he fails to do it, but it's definitely asking him to do something unusual.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »

Help me understand this better then.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2016, 08:36:23 PM »
i don't think currie's decision will be about prioritizing the budget over wins, risk aversion, prioritizing football or anything like that.  i think it will just be that he will not fire a coach that he (and many other objective observers) does not perceive as having performed below the standard of the job.

it's not normal to fire someone who is performing adequately just to be able hire someone else who is better.  sports (players, not coaches) is about the only arena i can think of where that would be normal.

he should do it.  he risks being blamed if he fails to do it, but it's definitely asking him to do something unusual.

well said

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »

You got it pretty much, but I wouldn't use the EInA report. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
There is no revolt happening.

Most accurate thing posted in this thread

What about now?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
There is no revolt happening.

Most accurate thing posted in this thread

What about now?

A couple #'s on Twitter a revolt doth not make
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
Two biggest dedicated outlets for ksu sports discussion are now aligned for this.   Not a revolt?  Just wait.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »

You got it pretty much, but I wouldn't use the EInA report.

What report should I be using?  I'm going to start a spreadsheet.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »

Then take a shot on someone else

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »

Then he has the wrong standards and needs to go.  His replacement can fire weber.