Author Topic: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue  (Read 21694 times)

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of Ticket Sales on Overall Revenue
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
It was a good post and gives you a good idea at what Currie cares about.

Confirmation bias does not provide any insight to what another person cares about.

I believe that Currie's main priority is the financial health of the department, and then it's the compliance.  If we can win cleanly, and in a fiscally responsible manner, then he is happy.

I do not believe for one second that he doesn't do a cost analysis when making major decisions.  He's too good of a money manager for that. I absolutely believe he has probably done the math on replacing oscar for Brad and has that argument in the quiver if need be.

My contention has been that it will take the big money to push for a change to make him move on oscar. And I don't believe that they've made that demand because none of them want to write a check for his buyout, and Currie doesn't want to take that money out of his budget because the cost/benefit isn't there.

People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Your belief that Currie is an accountant first and foremost influences the conclusions you are making out of basic budget numbers.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
Captain, what do you think Currie would rather have:
1. Rejuvenated basketball fan base
2. $3mm head start on East Side Club redo.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:59:30 PM »
Was canary the last gE'r to spend money to go in the fOOD?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
I'm sure they live amongst us, we'll disguised.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »

what do you mean by rejuvenated fan base

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »

what do you mean by rejuvenated fan base

One where this revolt isn't happening. 

There's a pic of Currie they always use from the 2011 KU game where he's in front of the students.  My brothers are 2 of the students in that pic.  They did everything they could to get those seats.  Both are now KSU alums where apathy has set in to the point they don't even watch anymore.  Keeping the excitement in those types of fans.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:24:06 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
There is no revolt happening.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 01:28:58 PM »

Most accurate thing posted in this thread

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
I know you want quantifiable data, but I don't have access to it. 

However, take someone like me.  I always had season tickets so I knew I had an in to the 3-5 games per year I wanted to go to.  I dropped them because I know I can now easily go to any games.  So, a fan base where fans feel like if they want guaranteed seats to any game, they are better off buying season tickets than finding them elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:33:44 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
In your analysis of season tickets sales dropping you didnt take into account the increase of sales under the new coach - the difference between sales under oscar and sales under new coach is the real math. Also, did you consider the seat donations required in your math? Another factor includes concession sales, merchandise, etc. All of that could be declining under oscar but might increase under a new coach. More to it than just direct ticket sales. The amount to make up a buyout could be made up quicker than you think.

They didn't break our Ahearn donations out.

Concessions are nominal. I can go look again, but the fluctuation was in the tens of thousands. Parking was the same.

To overcome the buyout, we are talking years. At least two. Which brings us to the last year in his contract anyway.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
I mean, I don't even feel like I have any basis for accepting the assumption that Currie's main priority is to maximize profits with regard to ticket sales, let alone go totally rough ridin' overboard on the idea like this. This shut is nuts.

Currie's goal is to always maximize profits.

The contention is that he cares more about balancing the desire to win with fiscal responsibility. He's not going to make a move unless he's incentivized to do so, positively or negatively.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:55 PM »

There are many people on here who believe Currie's main goal is make himself look good. Others say it's having no NCAA infractions. Others say its to get another job. You say its to maximize profits. Others say its something else.

Whatever you think it is, you will find evidence to support it.

Offline BrokenSky1113

• Fan
  • Heaper of Wampums
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

There are many people on here who believe Currie's main goal is make himself look good. Others say it's having no NCAA infractions. Others say its to get another job. You say its to maximize profits. Others say its something else.

It's all four of those things. They aren't that different. They all link together to get a very complete picture of his priorities. He cares about finances and not having infractions, to make himself look good, in order to get another job. It's not that hard.
"yeah he (she???) is probably the worst fan we have" - Meow Meow

Offline Boondock Poonhound

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
Was canary the last gE'r to spend money to go in the fOOD?

Nope.
"He's in Shape !"

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

It's all four of those things. They aren't that different. They all link together to get a very complete picture of his priorities. He cares about finances and not having infractions, to make himself look good, in order to get another job. It's not that hard.

The very best thing to make an AD look good is to win. That's it. Everything else, from profits to image to career advancement, will follow.

It is very confusing to me that people think Currie would rather be financially stable in basketball than win.

Offline BrokenSky1113

• Fan
  • Heaper of Wampums
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

The very best thing to make an AD look good is to win. That's it. Everything else, from profits to image to career advancement, will follow.

It is very confusing to me that people think Currie would rather be financially stable in basketball than win.

It's confusing to me that you can look at the scope of his tenure as an AD and say the main focus has been winning. I think he is trying to achieve those aforementioned goals and then ride out when/if the winning comes.
"yeah he (she???) is probably the worst fan we have" - Meow Meow

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »

I'm pissed off that we're going to burn up the first 3 months of next season confirming that our meatball coach will not be able to lead the team he assembled to a 5 game improvement in conference to get to postseason.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »
It's confusing to me that you can look at the scope of his tenure as an AD and say the main focus has been winning. I think he is trying to achieve those aforementioned goals and then ride out when/if the winning comes.

Like I said, you will see what you want to see. There has been a good deal of success with John here. We won big 12 conf titles in two sports that had never won them before. FB was in top 10 not even 15 months ago and has six straight bowls. Track has produced two of the greatest athletes ever to attend KState, and national champions. You can also say FB was down last year and MBB has been down even further the last two years. I think Frank leaving, oscar replacing him, and the last two seasons is a significant trend. I do not agree with you that it demonstrates a lack of focus on winning.

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
I know you want quantifiable data, but I don't have access to it. 

However, take someone like me.  I always had season tickets so I knew I had an in to the 3-5 games per year I wanted to go to.  I dropped them because I know I can now easily go to any games.  So, a fan base where fans feel like if they want guaranteed seats to any game, they are better off buying season tickets than finding them elsewhere.

I'm one of said brothers in the pic.  That was my freshman year.  My junior and senior year's of high school I had season tickets and didn't miss a home game and drove an hour to each one.  I went to every game my freshman and sophomore years of college, I went to most, if not all my junior year as well (Oscar's first year).  Went to less my senior year.  I went to literally ONE game my fifth year and really didn't make much of an effort to watch from home.  Barley watched any games this year.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »

K-State Basketball 2012-20??
The Revolution of Meh

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

Look, I'm sure Currie has a priority list sitting around somewhere with a list of things that he wants to accomplish in the next 1-3-5 years (or something like that).  He knows what they are, what they're going to cost, how he plans on paying for it, and when he can address them.

Looking at the revenue, and what we've invested in the last several years, it's clear that football is the priority.  And why wouldn't it be?  It's pulling in almost $35 million a year, and it's profit margins are closing in on $20 million a year. Best case scenario, with basketball, we're looking at running a profit margin in the neighborhood of $3-4 million.  That will cover the multi-million dollar losses we take in WBB and maybe one other non-revenue sport. 

So, when faced with a choice of finding $3 million lying around to break oscar's contract and go get Brad, what on his priority list gets bumped?  Who pays for it?  Where does he make up for that $3 million hit?  What is his break even date, and what are the potential financial benefits of making that move in relation to his 1-3-5 plan?

I'll give Currie the benefit of the doubt and say that if he could fire oscar and hire Brad tomorrow, he would.  I'm sure it would make his life a hell of a lot easier on the donor circuit.  But where does "Winning in Basketball" live on his priority list?  Because he manages an athletic department with limited resources, and he's already pulled almost $200 million in bonds and private donations to get the BTF, rowing facility, WSC and Vanier, where is that $3 million ear marked?  East Side club seats?  South end zone?  Snyder replacement?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
Do you not remember the picture of the mohagony box blackcats posted?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

Ok, show proof it is to win.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
Currie wants to win, he also doesn't want to work with Frank Martin and he legit thought oscar Weber could get the job done.  Which is easier to believe:

Currie is some evil cartoon genius with a secret plan to maximize profits and build himself a nice new office while losing as much as possible

OR

He has a major blind spot with regards to head coaching experience and made a bad, panicked decision after whiffing on his first choice for basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk