Author Topic: Was Darrell a DITR?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Was Darrell a DITR?
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »
9 days later on 04/17/12 Basketball staff adds power forward
Robert Cassidy | GoPowercat.com Staff Writer

oscar Weber said he'd like to add a forward within days of accepting the job at Kansas State. Well, it didn't take him long to find one. Parkway North (St. Louis) High School senior Darrell Johnson became the new coaching regime's first commitment when he pledged his services to K-State on Tuesday afternoon.
His name seems out of left field, but it's not. Both Weber and associate head coach Chris Lowery have put in significant time recruiting Johnson. It's just that they were wearing the logos of their previous school when they did so.
Weber showed interest in the 6-foot-8 forward while coaching Illinois. Lowery offered him a scholarship as the head coach of Southern Illinois. With both men now pulling in the same direction, though, the decision was made quickly. Johnson's campus visit took place this weekend, and his choice was finalized less than 48 hours later.
"He loved the facilities at K-State," said Arnaud Jones, Johnson's AAU coach. "He loves coach Weber, too. He personally came down and let him know he has a good chance to make a good run right away. With guys like (Rodney) McGruder and (Will) Spradling returning, there's a good chance for something special to be there."
Both Weber and Lowery have made trips to watch Johnson play during the AAU season. Weber did not offer Johnson a scholarship during his final days at Illinois, but according to Jones, that decision was made for reasons that had little to do with his player's on-court ability.
"He liked him, but (Weber) didn't even know where he was going to land at that time, so he held off," Jones said.
Jones says Johnson's skill set starts with defense. He describes the 235-pounder as a "defensive monster" and tells tales of his rebounding prowess. Of course none of Jones' words speak more than the statistics. He rattles those off from memory, too.
"Darrell led the state of Missouri in blocked shots and rebounds during his high school season," he said. "It's what he's known for. It's the first thing you'll notice about him. He's physical."
Johnson played the summer AAU circuit as a member of Baylor Fusion. He chose K-State over offers from Alabama, Memphis, Virginia Tech, Detroit and Southern Illinois among others.

As of 04/8/12 PF Johnson takes official to Virginia Tech
Brian Mohr | HokieHaven.com Publisher

Virginia Tech played host to an official visitor late last week. Saint Louis (Miss.) Parkway North power forward Darrell Johnson took an official visit to Blacksburg and was close to a decision. What's the status now?
"I was supposed to go to Memphis yesterday, but I couldn't make it," he said. "Virginia Tech was pretty good. I liked it."
Johnson arrived at Tech on Thursday.
"I ate at a couple of the dining halls, hung out with the guys, worked out with them a bit, had dinner with the coaches and then hung out with the players more that night," he said. "The next day I went out with the coaches again and toured around the entire campus. I met with the academic advisor and even met some of the football coaching staff before leaving."
Johnson hadn't been to Virginia Tech fully before, so did anything surprise him?
"I was surprised how far they were from the airport," he said. "That was the most surprising thing. They were really far and it took two flights since they are a smaller airport."
Still, the visit went well.
"The coaches were really friendly," he said. "Coach Greenberg, Coach Johnson and the rest of the staff were nice guys. They worked me out really well and were really nice. The players were really helpful on the court. I learned some new stuff. It was a good experience."
Erick Green hosted Johnson on the trip.
"He's a pretty cool dude," he said. "He's laid back and he told me a lot of things about how to succeed and what to do, with my classes, how to go about my work, balance out school and more. I liked the visit, it was a nice experience."
Prior to leaving, Greenberg gave his final pitch.
"He just shook my hand and told me he wanted to get news on Wednesday or whenever I make my decision."
Before coming on the trip, Johnson noted that Tech might have even led for his services. Did the trip reaffirm him or change things?
"It kind of changed things," he said. "I know I always have said I wanted to get away from home. But, actually getting on the trip, the plane ride and knowing I had to take two planes no matter what. That made me second-guess things a little bit. I know I didn't have my truck anymore and I couldn't drive to campus since the airport is so far away from campus."
Johnson maintains Tech is right in the mix.
"I'm down to Memphis, Virginia Tech and Alabama," he said. "Alabama wants to get me in and I might be looking at taking a visit.
"I really wanted to get a decision by Wednesday, but it looks like I'll have to push it back further. I'll have to see Memphis and maybe even Alabama."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Was Darrell a DITR?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
Yes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
no.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
maybe
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
need more data points

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
If you combine skills like scoring, rebounding, and blocking shots, he's in the top 5 or 6 this season of any big in the past 15 years at K-State.

Beasley, Massey, Henriquez, Gipson, Kelly, and Johnson; the best of the bigs when combining scoring, rebounding, and blocks together.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 02:25:53 PM »
Yes. Obviously!

The Big Train

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Didn't read so idk

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:36:27 PM »
oh man HugeCat versus The Big Train...I wonder who's larger?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
3 is maybe one too many P5 offers to be a total ditr. 

Also, the lack of winning tarnishes the brilliance of his diamond

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
DJamer is oscar's one success story so far

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
i never knew his first name

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »
i never knew his first name

me neither, hoe go home and wash out your beaver

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
Johnson hadn't been to Virginia Tech fully before, so did anything surprise him?
"I was surprised how far they were from the airport," he said. "That was the most surprising thing. They were really far and it took two flights since they are a smaller airport."

:AA:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite