Author Topic: The Magic Number  (Read 12235 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: The Magic Number
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 03:50:03 PM »
Do you start with less points if you inherit a really good team?  Or is that too unfair?

According to my math...I think it looks like we fired oscar in the appropriate year.  He would have been sitting at -1 in 2012.  Though I think he should have started with a shorter rope since he inherited a top 10 team.
no I don't think that's fair (or realistic), I mean whoever follows Coach K will be reasonable at 6 (if he misses the NCAA three years in a row I bet they can him).

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
come one guys, don't tweak the system to get the results you want.  they are what they are.

trim 3:16  :don'tcare:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Should there be a value in there for the margin of victory or margin of losses over the course of a season?  There's probably a better metric, but something that says you're truly dominating, but if you're losing (like @TCU by 27), you get penalized for just being awful while losing?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
Do you start with less points if you inherit a really good team?  Or is that too unfair?

According to my math...I think it looks like we fired oscar in the appropriate year.  He would have been sitting at -1 in 2012.  Though I think he should have started with a shorter rope since he inherited a top 10 team.
no I don't think that's fair (or realistic), I mean whoever follows Coach K will be reasonable at 6 (if he misses the NCAA three years in a row I bet they can him).

depends on the circumstances of K leaving. if he retires on top, it should probably be a 5. if he missed the NCAA two years and retires, it should probably be a 7 or 8.

either way, you have to factor in the players the coach inherited to some extent.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Quote from: Chingon (tweaked from original)
My preferred system:

The starting number for a coach is: half the negative points the previous coach left.  For instance if the last coach left a -6 you start at 11. (round up so  -7 gets you +4).  If the previous coach left positive points, let's say you start at 6.  When your coach reaches negative he should be fired.  Penalties are NOT cumulative, so if you miss the NIT you only lose 5 points (not 8 [for also missing the NCAA]).  Bonuses are only cumulative when adding tournament success plus regular season success.  In other words, making the Elite 8 gets you 4 points (not 7), but making the Elite 8 and winning the conference title will get you 7 (4 points for Elite 8 + 3 points for conference title).  The most points you can earn is 14 and the most you can lose is 5.

Not making the NIT : -5
Not making the NCAA: -3

Win Conference: 3
Win Conference Tourny: 1

Losing first round : 0  (I flip flop between this being a -1 and a 0)
First round win: 1 (I flip flop between this being a 0 and 1)
Making sweet sixteen: 2
Making Elite 8: 4
Making Final Four : 6
Making Champ Game: 8
Winning Champ: 10

I don't think top 4 or bottom 4 are necessary (will be reflected in making tournaments).

If oscar started at 6.

6 + (3) + (0) + (?)

If he misses the NIT this year then he will be sitting at 4.

I suspect under this system he would still be at Illinois...

6 + (3) + (0) + (-5) + (?)

an NIT bid should save his job and oscar will be sitting at a 1. 

Science

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
Chings, what does being an NIT champion get you points wise?  :bball:
(-3)