Author Topic: Brokered convention  (Read 18872 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Brokered convention
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:03:35 AM »
Ben Ginsberg was on MSNBC talking as though the Republican Party will try to make this happen and align delegates for a non-Trump candidate.

That would be AMAZING.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Brokered convention
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:06 AM »
Won't ever happen. The voter backlash would be yuuuuuge. Make your head spin.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 12:35:08 AM »
Yeah Drumpf would run as a 3rd and destroy the party in the general.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:03:12 AM »
I'm all in.

these forecasters assign some probability — a median of 15 percent — to the possibility that no candidate wins enough delegates to win the first vote at the convention, which could lead to a nominee other than Trump. Usually these sorts of “contested” or “brokered” convention scenarios are hype or a fun parlor game. This year, the chance of such a scenario may be higher.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/03/01/what-is-the-chance-that-trump-dominates-super-tuesday-but-doesnt-win-the-nomination/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »
I am 100% all in as well

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »
I think the pubs prefer Hillary to Donald so I guess it would be kind of a win.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
I guess if Hillary wins nothing changes for four years.   I can't imagine Hillary our Donald being re elected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 07:33:37 AM »
Why?  Who is waiting in the wings?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 07:45:04 AM »
Elizabeth Warren for the dems.
Marco Rubio or the speaker of the house for pubs

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
I guess if Hillary wins nothing changes for four years.   I can't imagine Hillary our Donald being re elected

If Hillary wins, that means also almost certainly means the Dems take the Senate. Plenty of things change for the worse. To the extent things stay the same, that's nearly as bad. See Doomsday thread.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
What is on her platform that isn't status quo?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »

Ok. I guess I'll start with The Liar. She wins, meaning the GOP loses the Senate, too.

The Liar's Department of Justice refuses to prosecute her for mishandling classified information. Numerous career FBI agents resign in protest.

She quickly nominates, and the Senate confirms, a fifth "Living Constitution" liberal to the Supreme Court. The "rule of law" is over, because what a law says no longer matters. All that matters is advancing liberal policy. The Liar quickly proceeds with amnesty by executive order, which the Supreme Court upholds 5-4. Poverty pours into the United States at an unprecedented level, drugs and crime soars, and state and local resources are overwhelmed (more so than they already are).

Likewise, liberal policy on restricting energy consumption in the name of "fighting global warming" proceeds via administrative regulation, unchecked by the courts. Price of electricity (the vast majority of which comes from coal) skyrockets higher than even its current rate of increase. OPEC, realizing that the liberals now have a chokehold on US oil production, reverses its policy of flooding the market, quickly escalating gas prices.

Obamacare continues unabated - requiring greater and greater infusions of tax dollars to keep the insurance companies afloat. As premiums continue to soar and access to doctors continues to diminish, The Liar promises single payer healthcare - Medicaid for all. With her new, stronger majority thanks to executive amnesty, she wins reelection easily in 2020. Taxes on income over $90,000 increase significantly to pay for the new Medicaid. Oddly, access to doctors does not improve, and the quality of healthcare continues to decline.

Thanks to a bevy of new employment regulations - including the requirement that all firings first be approved by the newly minted National Anti-Discrimination Agency - employers are increasingly cautious about hiring. Labor Force Participation rate continues to decline, but good news! - the "unemployment rate" remains around 5-6% because those people aren't looking for work and therefore aren't counted.

The national debt continues to grow by at least $600 billion per year. The GOP house, despite frequent sabre rattling over government shutdowns, continues to ultimately cave on massive omnibus spending bills - at least until 2018 when their House majority is swept away.

The Middle East continues to burn - do your really think it's going to get better? - spreading radical Islamic terrorism around the world.

That's a start at least. I'm obviously not anticipating everything.

Granted - you could call a lot of this "status quo," or at least status quo on steroids. It's pretty bad, whatever you want to call it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »
Almost all of that is status quo, K-S-U.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »

If Hillary wins, that means also almost certainly means the Dems take the Senate. Plenty of things change for the worse. To the extent things stay the same, that's nearly as bad. See Doomsday thread.

That doesn't make sense at all.  Establishment pubs would push to hold the line at the House and Senate and not vote for Prez/Trump recognizing that Hillary is the lesser of two presidential evils and they can prevent any real action like they have for 6 years of Obama's presidency.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »

Ok. I guess I'll start with The Liar. She wins, meaning the GOP loses the Senate, too.

The Liar's Department of Justice refuses to prosecute her for mishandling classified information. Numerous career FBI agents resign in protest.

She quickly nominates, and the Senate confirms, a fifth "Living Constitution" liberal to the Supreme Court. The "rule of law" is over, because what a law says no longer matters. All that matters is advancing liberal policy. The Liar quickly proceeds with amnesty by executive order, which the Supreme Court upholds 5-4. Poverty pours into the United States at an unprecedented level, drugs and crime soars, and state and local resources are overwhelmed (more so than they already are).

Likewise, liberal policy on restricting energy consumption in the name of "fighting global warming" proceeds via administrative regulation, unchecked by the courts. Price of electricity (the vast majority of which comes from coal) skyrockets higher than even its current rate of increase. OPEC, realizing that the liberals now have a chokehold on US oil production, reverses its policy of flooding the market, quickly escalating gas prices.

Obamacare continues unabated - requiring greater and greater infusions of tax dollars to keep the insurance companies afloat. As premiums continue to soar and access to doctors continues to diminish, The Liar promises single payer healthcare - Medicaid for all. With her new, stronger majority thanks to executive amnesty, she wins reelection easily in 2020. Taxes on income over $90,000 increase significantly to pay for the new Medicaid. Oddly, access to doctors does not improve, and the quality of healthcare continues to decline.

Thanks to a bevy of new employment regulations - including the requirement that all firings first be approved by the newly minted National Anti-Discrimination Agency - employers are increasingly cautious about hiring. Labor Force Participation rate continues to decline, but good news! - the "unemployment rate" remains around 5-6% because those people aren't looking for work and therefore aren't counted.

The national debt continues to grow by at least $600 billion per year. The GOP house, despite frequent sabre rattling over government shutdowns, continues to ultimately cave on massive omnibus spending bills - at least until 2018 when their House majority is swept away.

The Middle East continues to burn - do your really think it's going to get better? - spreading radical Islamic terrorism around the world.

Granted - you could call a lot of this "status quo," or at least status quo on steroids. It's pretty bad, whatever you want to call it.

This was a joy to read. A lot of assumptions and leaps of faith, and the vast majority of our electiricity doesn't come from coal. It was 38% in 2014 and dropping. Or maybe we have different definitions of vast majority.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »

This was a joy to read. A lot of assumptions and leaps of faith, and the vast majority of our electiricity doesn't come from coal. It was 38% in 2014 and dropping. Or maybe we have different definitions of vast majority.

Sorry, should have said "fossil fuels."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
Last Wednesday evening in New York, according to CNN, Rubio campaign manager Terry Sullivan met privately with a group of supporters and top donors to chart Rubio’s path forward heading into Super Tuesday after abysmal performances from the first-term Florid Senator so far. During the meeting, Sullivan walked Rubio’s money men through the scenario he envisions he will use to stop Trump.

An audio recording of Sullivan giving the powerpoint presentation obtained exclusively by Breitbart News shows Sullivan plotting for a brokered convention.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/02/exclusive-audio-rubio-campaign-manager-plots-brokered-convention-in-manhattan-donor-meeting-to-take-nomination-from-trump/

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 07:51:08 AM »
This is going to be great. half of the party will lose their crap and break off. mass chaos.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
the party will essentially be telling their low/mediums (not the cruz low/mediums) that their vote isn't worth a crap and they know what's best for them. amaze.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 07:58:20 AM »
the party will essentially be telling their low/mediums (not the cruz low/mediums) that their vote isn't worth a crap and they know what's best for them. amaze.

I am going to fully charge my phone so I can periscope the ks caucus.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »

I am going to fully charge my phone so I can periscope the ks caucus.

This would be better in someplace like Garden city or Olathe but will take.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
If the party can keep Trump from getting 1,237, I'd think converting delegates would be relatively easy for them. That kind of stuff is the bread and butter of politicians. And Trump doesn't know jack crap about it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
"Frankly, if I win Ohio, we're probably gonna end up in a convention -- a brokered convention -- and then we're gonna find out who the adult is," Kasich said

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-kasich-if-i-win-ohio-gop-will-get-a-brokered-convention/