Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 102701 times)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »
12-13 was when we still had all the Frank guys, blew a chance to clinch a share of the 'ship only to have the squawks eff up later that night and end with the same record allowing fans to run around the bars sarcastically forcing joint celebrations onto squawks enraged that the tiebreaker only counted toward conference tourney seeding.  The squawks went on to hand us a 3rd L in that tourney, and we went on to lose to LaSalle.

18-19 is when the squawks sucked historic ass allowing not just us but also texas rough ridin' tech to beat them in the standings by 2 whole games.  Tech and us had split the regular season series, but we lost to flood aggie in the conference tourney before being able to get the rubber game, and we went on to lose to Irvine. 

Especially in that system where 20% of the teams competing will claim the championship, it's pretty much right on pace that we'd get two over the course of a decade.

So, what you said is:

2012-13: Tied for first going into the final day of the regular season and pulled out a Championship.
2018-19: Tied for first with the second best team in the country, who we split with.

2 very good seasons and Conference Championships earned.

I suppose you can use whatever perspective you want. Each was a function of squawks rough ridin' up elsewhere. But the main thing is that I don’t give as much value to championships that are won by 20% of the teams competing as I do a championship won by 6-10% of the teams competing.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2021, 12:00:28 AM »
When I was looking for the standings and schedule for the later one, I started by searching for 17-18 and then trying 16-17. But holy crap, it wasn’t even 2 years ago! Not sure if it’s COVID time warp that makes it feel so long ago, or just that it’d be impossible that immediately preceding a 17-33 stretch, they were hoisting a troph (simultaneously to tech hoisting the same).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »
12-13 was when we still had all the Frank guys, blew a chance to clinch a share of the 'ship only to have the squawks eff up later that night and end with the same record allowing fans to run around the bars sarcastically forcing joint celebrations onto squawks enraged that the tiebreaker only counted toward conference tourney seeding.  The squawks went on to hand us a 3rd L in that tourney, and we went on to lose to LaSalle.

18-19 is when the squawks sucked historic ass allowing not just us but also texas rough ridin' tech to beat them in the standings by 2 whole games.  Tech and us had split the regular season series, but we lost to flood aggie in the conference tourney before being able to get the rubber game, and we went on to lose to Irvine. 

Especially in that system where 20% of the teams competing will claim the championship, it's pretty much right on pace that we'd get two over the course of a decade.

So, what you said is:

2012-13: Tied for first going into the final day of the regular season and pulled out a Championship.
2018-19: Tied for first with the second best team in the country, who we split with.

I'm not even going to read an elongated explanation as to how the results of an 18 game season was somehow a fluke, TWICE! It's an absurd notion that I won't even entertain. That right there is when smart people think really dumb things. The fluke wasn't the first place team losing to a bad team on the last day of the season, the fluke was the other 17 games??? Like I said, dumb.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 22, 2021, 12:58:07 AM »
If we lose The Streak and can oscar's ass, his agent and gene keady (still alive?) will definitely promote that he was The Big 12 Champion twice to help him get his next gig. It will be fun to see who goes for it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
oscar creates such a weird space to be in.  I mean, his outcomes merit we either fire him or name something after him.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
oscar creates such a weird space to be in.  I mean, his outcomes merit we either fire him or name something after him.
It is weird.

If I had confidence he could win another conference champy with this group, I would give no shits about last year, this year or the next couple. He just does not inspire any confidence with me, though.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
K-State fans: The 2010 Elite 8 run was so magical. Average seeding we beat was an impressive 9.333!

Also K-State fans: The 2018 Elite 8 run was so flukey. Average seeding we beat was an embarrassing 9.666!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »
I would prefer we fire him regardless.  I hate watching basketball that is 62-53.  Its the worst.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »

So, what you said is:

I suppose you can use whatever perspective you want. Each was a function of squawks rough ridin' up elsewhere. But the main thing is that I don’t give as much value to championships that are won by 20% of the teams competing as I do a championship won by 6-10% of the teams competing.

K-State went 14-4 in both Big 12 Championship seasons. Since the round robin started, 14-4 wins the conference 5 out of 9 times, multiple times it wins it outright. Having someone else "eff it up elsewhere" has very little to do with it.

No coach at K-State has even come remotely close to those 2 conference seasons at K-State in 30+ years.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:50:38 AM by Shooter Jones »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 22, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »
Also nobody has had the lows oscar has had, which is notable.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 22, 2021, 12:27:37 PM »
K-State went 14-4 in both Big 12 Championship seasons. Since the round robin started, 14-4 wins the conference 5 out of 9 times, multiple times it wins it outright. Having someone else "eff it up elsewhere" has very little to do with it.

No coach at K-State has even come remotely close to those 2 conference seasons at K-State in 30+ years.

Not just anyone else, the squawks and their however many sta1ght.  We, like others who'd tied them in the past and like tech who finished ahead of them the other time, benefited from their ineptitude those years.

I probably erred in mixing the flukey and asterisk-y adjectives.  The E8, in a vacuum, is more flukey because it came to be in large part due to the only 16 beating a 1 ever.  What I'm taking about more is how I view the 2 accomplishments that are used and will be used to justify oscar's current and next employment - the E8 and the 2 conference championships. 

While the E8 was flukey, a lot of E8's can be flukey.  An E8 may not carry much weight to hiring people anyway because they know that inherently they can be flukey.  It's 3 wins in a tournament that is popular because of upsets and bracket pools.

As a hiring person in an imaginary world where I'd even look at oscar, I'd side-eye more the 2 'ships, because 1/5 of the teams in the league won "it" those years, the first being with the prior staff's players and the second when ku was historically bad.  Each was followed by an immediate ncaa tourney flame-out and thereafter the program got blown to hell (separately, twice!).

He will present and be presented as 2-time Big 12 Champion oscar weber, and it's up to whoever has to hire and pay him to decide what weight that carries.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 22, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Tournament is a crap shot, I just care that a coach can get you there consistently.  That 18-19 was the best we have ever had defensively and would have made a run with a healthy Claws.  oscar deserves to be fired because he whiffed on basically 3 straight recruiting classes, got a decent one and then whiffed again this year.  He is as an elite scout but can’t close most of the time.  He’s too stubborn to adapt so he is going to get the same fate he got at Illinois.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 22, 2021, 01:01:30 PM »
Also nobody has had the lows oscar has had, which is notable.

Yup, and it's why he needs to be let go right now (like after the season or whenever the buyout drops or whatever).

Can Gene do it similar to Bill? Just pay the buyout but announce it as a retirement?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »

Compromise - we put a statue of oscar up outside the 'Gon but the statue of him is where one arm is holding 2 trophies and the other arm is holding a box of his office belongings after getting fired. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
K-State fans: The 2010 Elite 8 run was so magical. Average seeding we beat was an impressive 9.333!

Also K-State fans: The 2018 Elite 8 run was so flukey. Average seeding we beat was an embarrassing 9.666!

it's not odd to put up with someone whom you like when they make mistakes or have shortcomings.  oscar's problem is and always has been that no one likes him.  he's unlikable.  we're no different than illinois fans or any other fanbase.  being liked is a big part of being a head coach.  selling yourself and the program you're in charge of to recruits and the fanbase who pays your bills.  if you can't do that, then you're oscar.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 22, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »

This is a very dumb take

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 22, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »

Compromise - we put a statue of oscar up outside the 'Gon but the statue of him is where one arm is holding 2 trophies and the other arm is holding a box of his office belongings after getting fired.
:lol:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 22, 2021, 04:39:26 PM »

it's not odd to put up with someone whom you like when they make mistakes or have shortcomings.  oscar's problem is and always has been that no one likes him.  he's unlikable.  we're no different than illinois fans or any other fanbase.  being liked is a big part of being a head coach.  selling yourself and the program you're in charge of to recruits and the fanbase who pays your bills.  if you can't do that, then you're oscar.

Yes. This exactly.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 22, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »

This is a very dumb take

Lol, shut up.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 22, 2021, 04:59:49 PM »

oscar is very unlikable. We undervalue oscar's successes because he is unlikable. I'd venture to say his roster attrition/retention issues are a reflection of that as well?

I am not a fan of oscar. I am, however, a fan of many aspects of his first 7 years here.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
oscar just doesn't have the charisma of someone like LHC Bill Snyder.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2021, 09:04:39 PM »
oscar just doesn't have the charisma of someone like LHC Bill Snyder.

Not even close.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2021, 06:41:57 PM »
We get blown out by over 20 and nobody gives a crap. He gotta go

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »
We get blown out by over 20 and nobody gives a crap. He gotta go

Gene is going to cull him in April don’t worry.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2021, 06:46:51 PM »
He'll be fired for lack of charisma.