Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 102684 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »
He should only be fired if he loses The Streak. Everything else was foreseeable and as expected.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 20, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »
Who are the hottest names in coaching right now? Can we get someone as good as Gregg who is not a horrible human being?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 20, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
Can we get someone as good as Gregg who is not a horrible human being?

In my mind it's a very desirably job. Program has decent history, decent facilities, and I actually think there is some talent on campus to win some games right away.

But, I always make fun of programs who think so highly of themselves and are completely unaware of their place during a coaching search...so I hope I'm not completely self-unaware, but I probably am :sads:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 20, 2021, 05:28:53 PM »
You're telling a story with the stats you're providing here and on twitter, but I want you to explicitly say it.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 20, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »
Who are the hottest names in coaching right now? Can we get someone as good as Gregg who is not a horrible human being?

No but our next coach is Craig Smith
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 20, 2021, 05:36:23 PM »
wrong dakota, i think the dakotas hate each other

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2021, 02:17:27 AM »
Seat not so hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dBDapOekk

I listened to that live, did you expect him to blow oscar up? Again, I don't think, as of right now, that oscar is gonna get run, but gene pushed Snyder right the eff out the door, he's not scared of running oscar to get his own basketball coach.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:02 AM »
Seat not so hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dBDapOekk

I listened to that live, did you expect him to blow oscar up? Again, I don't think, as of right now, that oscar is gonna get run, but gene pushed Snyder right the eff out the door, he's not scared of running oscar to get his own basketball coach.

Yea I mean UT slit Herman’s throat after saying he was their coach, no AD is going to tip their hand.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
You're telling a story with the stats you're providing here and on twitter, but I want you to explicitly say it.

The numbers seem pretty clear. I'm not ready to go all Fitz quite yet. :)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »
What's the buyout?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »
What's the buyout?

We should offer to match whatever Jamar's trashcan receipt said he was wired from his old coach.  That's where this downward spiral started.  Would be a super good fitting end.  Full circle.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
What's the buyout?

I believe it is $2 mil, but I'm not sure if that is after April 30th or not.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
What's the buyout?

We should offer to match whatever Jamar's trashcan receipt said he was wired from his old coach.  That's where this downward spiral started.  Would be a super good fitting end.  Full circle.

It's a great post, but we did win two conference championships and have an elite 8 after that. You gotta go back 39 years before the trashcan lie to 1973 to find an elite 8 and two conference championships.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2021, 03:22:34 PM »
What's the buyout?

It's a great post, but we did win two conference championships and have an elite 8 after that. You gotta go back 39 years before the trashcan lie to 1973 to find an elite 8 and two conference championships.
I'm happy for the good times oscar gave us, but also want him fired.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »
What's the buyout?

i can't separate the elite 8 from the fact that it only happened because the 1 seed lost to a 16 for the first and only time ever in the tournament. No reasonable person could argue we would have beat Virginia had they taken care of business against UMBC. Had it not been for that ridiculous fortune, it would have been another year of oh look an early exit from the NCAA tourney.

So rather than putting undue value on that E8, i'm seeing 2 shared conference championships which, okay, that's cool...and a handful of NCAA tournament appearances where we never made it out of the round of 32

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2021, 06:27:56 PM »
I deleted and retyped multiple posts... but honestly, I'd be really damn happy if we could bring in a coach that could have the exact same success oscar had the first 7 years here.

Would I like more post season success? Absolutely... But I'd take 2 conference championships every 7 years for the rest of my life.

If he was just decent the last 2 seasons, he could probably stays here for the rest of his coaching life... but these lows are too low, and I don't think anyone believes he can dig himself out of it or that he deserves another full rebuild.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
I’d settle for lower peaks if it was fun and the valleys didn’t make me turn off Cats bball entirely.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
What's the buyout?

i can't separate the elite 8 from the fact that it only happened because the 1 seed lost to a 16 for the first and only time ever in the tournament. No reasonable person could argue we would have beat Virginia had they taken care of business against UMBC. Had it not been for that ridiculous fortune, it would have been another year of oh look an early exit from the NCAA tourney.

You can't because you don't want to.

We did beat the team that many people had as a favorite to go to the final four out of that region, and we beat them at a glorified home game for them.

And of course a reasonable person could think we had a chance to beat Virginia. We beat the team that beat them by 30. Did you forget that? Virginia's pace leaves them vulnerable to upsets, they shorten the game for you.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2021, 06:40:08 PM »
I deleted and retyped multiple posts... but honestly, I'd be really damn happy if we could bring in a coach that could have the exact same success oscar had the first 7 years here.

Would I like more post season success? Absolutely... But I'd take 2 conference championships every 7 years for the rest of my life.

If he was just decent the last 2 seasons, he could probably stays here for the rest of his coaching life... but these lows are too low, and I don't think anyone believes he can dig himself out of it or that he deserves another full rebuild.

Yeah, this is oscar's issue. I also still think he didn't earn the chance to decimate the roster, twice.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »
The conference championships are possibly more flukey/asterisk-y than the elite 8.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »
The conference championships are possibly more flukey/asterisk-y than the elite 8.

LOL

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2021, 09:03:51 PM »
12-13 was when we still had all the Frank guys, blew a chance to clinch a share of the 'ship only to have the squawks eff up later that night and end with the same record allowing fans to run around the bars sarcastically forcing joint celebrations onto squawks enraged that the tiebreaker only counted toward conference tourney seeding.  The squawks went on to hand us a 3rd L in that tourney, and we went on to lose to LaSalle.

18-19 is when the squawks sucked historic ass allowing not just us but also texas rough ridin' tech to beat them in the standings by 2 whole games.  Tech and us had split the regular season series, but we lost to flood aggie in the conference tourney before being able to get the rubber game, and we went on to lose to Irvine. 

Especially in that system where 20% of the teams competing will claim the championship, it's pretty much right on pace that we'd get two over the course of a decade.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2021, 10:58:30 PM »
What's the buyout?

You can't because you don't want to.

We did beat the team that many people had as a favorite to go to the final four out of that region, and we beat them at a glorified home game for them.

And of course a reasonable person could think we had a chance to beat Virginia. We beat the team that beat them by 30. Did you forget that? Virginia's pace leaves them vulnerable to upsets, they shorten the game for you.

i don't want to because its absurd. Virginia was not given the 1 seed b/c they were a blue blood media darling always getting the benefit of the doubt...they were given the one seed because they were one of the best teams in the country (i think they were the 1 national seed as well? can't remember, doesn't really matter) but anyway you don't get to be a one seed because you occasionally poop your pants against the UMBC's of the world, but hey that's the exposed ventilation shaft to our death star, dems da breaks. No. They lost because they overlooked the game because up until that point they historically had a 100% chance of winning that game. The kentucky game was the outlier. We otherwise had the most pillow soft road to the final four in the history of ever and we got tripped up by (checks notes) Loyola Chicago? And it wasn't even close that game was out of reach before halftime. Its possible we still get to the E8 even if we played Virginia, you say? Miss me with that nonsense you're getting your clown makeup all over your keyboard. go squirt some seltzer water out of a flower lapel

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2021, 11:14:46 PM »
12-13 was when we still had all the Frank guys, blew a chance to clinch a share of the 'ship only to have the squawks eff up later that night and end with the same record allowing fans to run around the bars sarcastically forcing joint celebrations onto squawks enraged that the tiebreaker only counted toward conference tourney seeding.  The squawks went on to hand us a 3rd L in that tourney, and we went on to lose to LaSalle.

18-19 is when the squawks sucked historic ass allowing not just us but also texas rough ridin' tech to beat them in the standings by 2 whole games.  Tech and us had split the regular season series, but we lost to flood aggie in the conference tourney before being able to get the rubber game, and we went on to lose to Irvine. 

Especially in that system where 20% of the teams competing will claim the championship, it's pretty much right on pace that we'd get two over the course of a decade.

So, what you said is:

2012-13: Tied for first going into the final day of the regular season and pulled out a Championship.
2018-19: Tied for first with the second best team in the country, who we split with.

2 very good seasons and Conference Championships earned.