Author Topic: Scalia  (Read 56882 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Scalia
« Reply #575 on: February 24, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
maybe he thinks that higher participation would have led to an even larger trump landslide? :dunno:

maybe you've got to get below 1% before the reasoned voters can outnumber the low-infos.

yeah, perhaps that's it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 24, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
And I mean, I do kind of admire the fact that he comes right out and says he wants to disenfranchise a significant amount of people because of their intelligence rather than hiding behind voter fraud concerns. It's an interesting honesty.

Perceived intelligence based on if the person agrees with his particular favorite candidate
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 24, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
Honestly I think last night really got to Chant, he sees the future of the conservative movement, and his really shook. He is taking his anger out on the American people. Sad!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 24, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
Uh huh. So you're saying that by making it easier to vote, the number of intelligent, engaged people who will now vote but otherwise would not have ('cause it was just too darned hard to have an ID / drive to a polling location) will equal or exceed the number of morons for whom a canvasser with an iPad will cast their vote for them? Look, I can't prove you're wrong, but I've got enough common sense to know you're wrong.

i'm saying that we just had an election where 2.5% of the population participated and they overwhelmingly chose a candidate you consider to be stupid.  the data (datum, so by all means show me more) simply doesn't support your hypothesis.

maybe he thinks that higher participation would have led to an even larger trump landslide? :dunno:

The "data" of who chose to vote in a Nevada primary doesn't seem terribly applicable to the issue of whether making it even easier to vote will result in a dumber electorate.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 24, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »
Honestly I think last night really got to Chant, he sees the future of the conservative movement, and his really shook. He is taking his anger out on the American people. Sad!

Don't be stupid. Like most normal people, I was already in bed long before the Nevada results were announced. And my confidence in American intelligence has been shaken for quite some time.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 24, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
The "data" of who chose to vote in a Nevada primary doesn't seem terribly applicable to the issue of whether making it even easier to vote will result in a dumber electorate.

by all accounts, the nevada caucus is about as difficult, confusing and inconvenient an election as we have in the us.  and the turnout is ridiculously low.  seems like a correlation that is fairly easy to explain.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
And I mean, I do kind of admire the fact that he comes right out and says he wants to disenfranchise a significant amount of people because of their intelligence rather than hiding behind voter fraud concerns. It's an interesting honesty.

Interesting comment. Two questions:
1. Are we "disenfranchising" 16 year olds?
2. Isn't every lawful voter disenfranchised by voter fraud?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 24, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
Both parties want as few ppl voting as possible.

This is not true. At all.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 24, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Seems like an illegal who goes through the hassle and effort of figuring out and placing a fraudulent vote is probably pretty industrious, engaged, and intelligent. Just the kind of voter we want.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Seems like an illegal who goes through the hassle and effort of figuring out and placing a fraudulent vote is probably pretty industrious, engaged, and intelligent. Just the kind of voter we want.

Yes, aside from having broken our laws in a number of ways to cast that vote. But otherwise, you're dead on.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
 :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »

Interesting comment. Two questions:
1. Are we "disenfranchising" 16 year olds?
2. Isn't every lawful voter disenfranchised by voter fraud?

1) Yes
2) Not completely

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »
If we made it easier to vote than it already is, I'm sure that would be a welcome convenience for many voters. But I also think it would further dumb-down the electorate, and weren't we just discussing how the electorate is already too stupid? (It probably also encourages more fraud, but just leave that aside.)

Isnt the whole point of your beloved constitution and this country that men are smart enough to govern themselves?

My beloved constitution? Good grief. Also, the Constitution says nothing, either explicitly or implicitly, about making it easier for the laziest and dumbest members of our society to vote. It's already pretty easy. In fact, there were much stricter limitations on the right to vote when the Constitution was written.

That's not my point. My point is the foundation of this country is based on the fact that man should be self governed. And you're basically saying man is too stupid to be self governed. Which I agree with.

No, I'm not making a point about "man" at all. I am saying that some men (and women) are so stupid and immature that they ought not be voting. There's absolutely nothing inconsistent about that. We already have limitations on voting, and that is not contrary to the Constitution or the vague notion of "self-governance."

So basically if someone doesn't agree with you they shouldn't vote because they are obviously stupid. The disdain you show for your fellow Americans is exactly why Trump is winning FYI.

No, that's absolutely not what I said. At all. But if that's how you interpreted what I said, you probably aren't smart enough that you should be voting.

Ok then tell me..in Chant's perfect work who should be able to vote?

Not sure. We should probably raise the voting age back to at least 21 unless you're serving in the military (which is why we lowered it to 18 in the first place). We could probably stand go a bit higher than that on age. Payment of at least some income tax might also work. Basically, I'm contemplating rules that would promote the electorate being composed of more people who work jobs and support themselves. It also goes without saying that you ought to have to prove who you are.

No rule will be fair to everyone. Our current rules aren't fair to everyone. There are plenty of 17yos who are perfectly capable of making an intelligent decision.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
If we made it easier to vote than it already is, I'm sure that would be a welcome convenience for many voters. But I also think it would further dumb-down the electorate, and weren't we just discussing how the electorate is already too stupid? (It probably also encourages more fraud, but just leave that aside.)

Isnt the whole point of your beloved constitution and this country that men are smart enough to govern themselves?

My beloved constitution? Good grief. Also, the Constitution says nothing, either explicitly or implicitly, about making it easier for the laziest and dumbest members of our society to vote. It's already pretty easy. In fact, there were much stricter limitations on the right to vote when the Constitution was written.

That's not my point. My point is the foundation of this country is based on the fact that man should be self governed. And you're basically saying man is too stupid to be self governed. Which I agree with.

No, I'm not making a point about "man" at all. I am saying that some men (and women) are so stupid and immature that they ought not be voting. There's absolutely nothing inconsistent about that. We already have limitations on voting, and that is not contrary to the Constitution or the vague notion of "self-governance."

So basically if someone doesn't agree with you they shouldn't vote because they are obviously stupid. The disdain you show for your fellow Americans is exactly why Trump is winning FYI.

No, that's absolutely not what I said. At all. But if that's how you interpreted what I said, you probably aren't smart enough that you should be voting.

Not sure. We should probably raise the voting age back to at least 21 unless you're serving in the military (which is why we lowered it to 18 in the first place). We could probably stand go a bit higher than that on age. Payment of at least some income tax might also work. Basically, I'm contemplating rules that would promote the electorate being composed of more people who work jobs and support themselves. It also goes without saying that you ought to have to prove who you are.

No rule will be fair to everyone. Our current rules aren't fair to everyone. There are plenty of 17yos who are perfectly capable of making an intelligent decision.

I would guess the majority of people that voted for Trump pay income tax and have a job to support themselves.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
18 years old is too young for the military IMO

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
People in the military (under 21) are generally pretty stupid tho. Crap, get rid of them.

I know plenty of stupid people with jobs (I mean, with 4.5 percent unemployment nearly everyone has a job) so that probably doesn't get rid of stupid people either  :curse:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »

I would guess the majority of people that voted for Trump pay income tax and have a job to support themselves.

Yup. As I've already said, no rule is perfect. But that doesn't mean we don't have rules on voting eligibility, or that new rules are somehow anathema.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
We should just disenfranchise the evangelicals. That seems to be where the problems are coming from.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
Basically, I'm contemplating rules that would promote the electorate being composed of more people who work jobs and support themselves. It also goes without saying that you ought to have to prove who you are.

taking the vote from non-working elderly probably would be a good start.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »
Basically, I'm contemplating rules that would promote the electorate being composed of more people who work jobs and support themselves. It also goes without saying that you ought to have to prove who you are.

taking the vote from non-working elderly probably would be a good start.

I doubt any of them even know what year it is, just shoved on a bus and pin a note on their chest that says they want to vote for the republican

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 24, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »
Getting back to the original topic...

Obama is apparently vetting the Republican governor of Nevada which is maybe the most Obama thing ever in that it is a compromise position that everyone will hate and probably won't work either.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
"the obstructionist republicans in congress wouldn't even consider an highly qualified appointee, who also happens to be a republican governor" is a pretty good talking point for clinton.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 24, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
Yeah. This guy is probably way more conservative than whoever Trump would pick.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 24, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-scalia-nominee-indian-american-idUSKCN0VO03V
Indian-American judge who could replace Scalia worked on controversial cases for business
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 24, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
"the obstructionist republicans in congress wouldn't even consider an highly qualified appointee, who also happens to be a republican governor" is a pretty good talking point for clinton.

The entire situation will likely help Republicans until they realize what an amazing deal they are getting and then they capitulate.  It will likely have very little effect on the Presidential election other than providing a retroactive excuse for the millionth time about how the Senate was insufficiently obstructionist for the House freedom caucus' taste and how if only the American people could've seen that electing a true conservative like Ted Cruz this all could be avoided.