Author Topic: Scalia  (Read 56799 times)

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
Re: Scalia
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »

Do you think there is life anywhere else in the universe?

IMO it's foolish to think there isn't.  Statistics alone prove there is.

do they look like flying spaghetti monsters?  How are you both so sure there is no God and there is other life out there?  I believe both exist.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
I don't know which story is a bigger load of crap; a dude taking 6 days to create our entire existence then taking a day to chill by the pool, or a grand explosion actually creating instead of destroying life.
Really? I think you know which one is a bigger load of crap.

I really don't, but the notion of an explosion creating life is counterintuitive to everything else science teaches us and common sense while the other is some dude a few hundred years ago telling an elaborate lie that stuck.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
I don't know which story is a bigger load of crap; a dude taking 6 days to create our entire existence then taking a day to chill by the pool, or a grand explosion actually creating instead of destroying life.

I really don't, but the notion of an explosion creating life is counterintuitive to everything else science teaches us and common sense while the other is some dude a few hundred years ago telling an elaborate lie that stuck.
Good grief, MiR. I'm going to disengage you on this topic because it seems like you're being willfully ignorant.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 20, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »

Good grief, MiR. I'm going to disengage you on this topic because it seems like you're being willfully ignorant.

I'm being willfully ignorant because I won't acknowledge the legitimacy of one widely held odd belief over another? I do think the story of creation as is taught in the bible is a laughable farce. However, even if you believe the big bang to be true it still would involve some form of creation before that occurred. I believe in creation just not the widely taught biblical version.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Scalia
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
Who created the creator? Is it turtles all the way down?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 20, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »

I'm being willfully ignorant because I won't acknowledge the legitimacy of one widely held odd belief over another? 

With these two "beliefs"? Yes, you are.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 20, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
Who created the creator?

Good ass question :dunno: :confused:

The Big Train

« Reply #457 on: February 20, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »

Do you think there is life anywhere else in the universe?

IMO it's foolish to think there isn't.  Statistics alone prove there is.

do they look like flying spaghetti monsters?  How are you both so sure there is no God and there is other life out there?  I believe both exist.

What makes life here the standard to look like?  Also are your spaghetti monsters single or multi-cellular organisms? 

There are way too many reasons to list why there is no God.  I chose to think and reason why there can't be a god, in any form, not just Christianity.  When you actually think for yourself and not belief a text that was written without a full grasp of the universe, you understand the truth.

The Big Train

« Reply #458 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 20, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
MIR they just found tangible evidence of two black holes colliding. perhaps in our lifetime (probably not though) there will be real answers to the question of the beginning of the universe

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 20, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »

I'm being willfully ignorant because I won't acknowledge the legitimacy of one widely held odd belief over another? 

Do you want to explain to me what I'm missing or are we going to go with "you're ignorant so I quit" without offering up any explanation at all?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 20, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »

We don't have blind faith in government but we really don't mind at all when government gets larger and controls more and more . . . But honest, we don't have blind faith in government, we want too be very clear in that . . .

Lol @ resident ProgLibs
I think the nsa should be abolished and the CIA and military budgets should be cut in half (or more) because I don't trust them or elected officials charged with overseeing them.

This seems disingenuous. Unless you're a proponent of relying on blind faith to tell us that these organizations do absolutely nothing of value.

I believe those organizations do things of value. I just don't think they do enough good to justify their budgets and abuses and misuses of power.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »

Do you want to explain to me what I'm missing or are we going to go with "you're ignorant so I quit" without offering up any explanation at all?

Yes, I'm going to quit here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »

Yes, I'm going to quit here.

I think you're making an assumption here you shouldn't make but whatever.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »

We don't have blind faith in government but we really don't mind at all when government gets larger and controls more and more . . . But honest, we don't have blind faith in government, we want too be very clear in that . . .

Lol @ resident ProgLibs
I think the nsa should be abolished and the CIA and military budgets should be cut in half (or more) because I don't trust them or elected officials charged with overseeing them.

This seems disingenuous. Unless you're a proponent of relying on blind faith to tell us that these organizations do absolutely nothing of value.

I believe those organizations do things of value. I just don't think they do enough good to justify their budgets and abuses and misuses of power.

What is your belief based on?

I believe that the justifications/abuses/misuses of those organizations are comparable to those for any typical organization. This belief is based on the assumption that similar things behave in similar ways and no particular substantive evidence to the contrary. Like, no news story on these organiztions that I've seen should be enough to trump this belief.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
My belief is based on the history of those organizations. And I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think there were misuses of power in other government organizations, although I think abuses of power in the NSA would generally be more damaging to society than abuse of power in the department of transportation, for example. The ones I mentioned were just off the top of my head.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
My belief is based on the history of those organizations. And I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think there were misuses of power in other government organizations, although I think abuses of power in the NSA would generally be more damaging to society than abuse of power in the department of transportation, for example. The ones I mentioned were just off the top of my head.

I assume that the harm is comparable, too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »

Based on what?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
Organizational/Institutional theories certainly apply to the CIA/NSA etc., but the missions/purposes of the organizations can also be contrary to someone's vision for our country's government.  It is important to understand how organizational theory, groupthink, banality of evil can allow atrocities to occur, it is also much more likely for them to occur when the missions of the organization are contrary to what many consider to be foundational principles of limited government power and the freedom and privacy of the individual

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 20, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »

Based on what?

Same as before. There are lots of different ways to directly or indirectly harm people. Some are just more tabloid worthy than others.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 20, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
Anyone who thinks they understand the origin of the universe (whether religious, agnostic, or atheist) is probably not worth engaging with.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
Anyone who thinks they understand the origin of the universe (whether religious, agnostic, or atheist) is probably not worth engaging with.

I won't go as far as saying that they shouldn't be engaged in conversation with but their assurance is pretty laughable and they're almost always quick to lampoon the beliefs of others.

The Big Train

« Reply #472 on: February 20, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »

So instead of engaging with thoughtful, intelligent people you should just engage with other idiots?  Got it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 20, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »

So instead of engaging with thoughtful, intelligent people you should just engage with other idiots?  Got it

People who are sure of our origins tend to be very irrational.

The Big Train

« Reply #474 on: February 20, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »

People who are sure of our origins tend to be very irrational.

I agree with that. However there are a lot who have done their own research and made decisions about it themselves.  They tend to be very open