Author Topic: Scalia  (Read 56857 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Scalia
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
By making a nomination, Obama has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If it was me, I'd do it first thing Monday morning.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
This is going to become a major talking point for the pubs.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
Of course Obama should nominate a replacement. That's his job. It is also the Senate's job to give advice and consent. And their advice should absolutely be "no, we've got an election coming up in less than a year and we think the people should get a say in this."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2016, 10:28:39 PM »
So like who is it going to be?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
The ppl have a say....through their congressional representatives.   They should do their jobs rather than campaigning as you recommend.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
Of course Obama should nominate a replacement. That's his job. It is also the Senate's job to give advice and consent. And their advice should absolutely be "no, we've got an election coming up in less than a year and we think the people should get a say in this."

The people got their say when they elected Obama for 8 years (not 7)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:19 PM »
This is going to be a huge negative for republicans. Almost worst case scenario

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
So like who is it going to be?

Obama will pick whomever he thinks he can use to extract maximum political damage from the GOP refusing to bring to a vote. Likely a woman and minority. I would guess Loretta Lynch.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
Which is not what the constitution demands. Hint this was a "call to action" for pubs in '08 '12 because RGB, Beyer, Kennedy were possibly going in that term.  The electorate spoke.  Good to see you mouth deep on party talking points before Antonin is cold.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:22:49 AM by ednksu »
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2016, 10:37:04 PM »

The people got their say when they elected Obama for 8 years (not 7)

You don't seem familiar with the Senate's role in the process. Or have you forgotten that "the people" also "had their say" in 2014 when they ousted the Dems from majority control?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
Swing voters won't GAF that republicans are blocking an Obama appointee. No matter who it is they'll come up with at least 3 reasons why that person is a terrible choice.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »
Which is not what the constitution demands. Hint this was a "call to action" for pubs in 08 because RGB, Beyer, Kennedy were possibly going in that term.  The electorate spoke.  Good to see you mouth deep on party talking points before Antonin is cold.

Edna please don't pretend to know the Constitution. Just save yourself some embarrassment. You know that previously outed yourself as a major dumbass when talking about the Constitution. So just stop.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
If history is any indicator Obama is going to get his.  Also when was big homie Anthony Kennedy appointed to the court?  Was it in the last year of a 2nd term president?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
That's fine, but I'll lol while republicans are slammed for being so partisan for the next 9 months

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
Which is not what the constitution demands. Hint this was a "call to action" for pubs in 08 because RGB, Beyer, Kennedy were possibly going in that term.  The electorate spoke.  Good to see you mouth deep on party talking points before Antonin is cold.

Edna please don't pretend to know the Constitution. Just save yourself some embarrassment. You know that previously outed yourself as a major dumbass when talking about the Constitution. So just stop.
lol child please
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »

Maybe. But maybe not. I agree that the President will make the most of his nomination being stalled, and McConnel and gang will likely engage in their usual political ineptitude. On the other hand, the one possible silver lining of losing such a brilliant and principled jurist is that this could potentially unify the GOP no matter who the nominee is. Even if it's Trump or Cruz, if the question is whether Hillary will pick Antonin's replacement, the base will show up at the polls.

Again though, politics aside, this is a devastating loss for the Court and for the rule of law. Scalia was also a kind and decent man. I had the pleasure of meeting him once as a law student. I asked what was in all liklihood a very stupid question about a case he'd written the opinion on. He wasn't condescending at all. He was a class act. His opinions - particularly his dissents - are jurisprudential works of art. Even at 79 it just feels like he left us way too early.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »

Maybe. But maybe not. I agree that the President will make the most of his nomination being stalled, and McConnel and gang will likely engage in their usual political ineptitude. On the other hand, the one possible silver lining of losing such a brilliant and principled jurist is that this could potentially unify the GOP no matter who the nominee is. Even if it's Trump or Cruz, if the question is whether Hillary will pick Antonin's replacement, the base will show up at the polls.

Again though, politics aside, this is a devastating loss for the Court and for the rule of law. Scalia was also a kind and decent man. I had the pleasure of meeting him once as a law student. I asked what was in all liklihood a very stupid question about a case he'd written the opinion on. He wasn't condescending at all. He was a class act. His opinions - particularly his dissents - are jurisprudential works of art. Even at 79 it just feels like he left us way too early.
:ROFL:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
Who are generally worse people....judges, or cops? Still leaning cops, but it's close

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
Antonin: Hey guys, I hate civil rights, pre clearence, and rights for gays.

Ksuw: I'll work the shaft and balls sir.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
Also :lol: at the fanningbrag

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »
Who are generally worse people....judges, or cops? Still leaning cops, but it's close
who runs the trials where cops get off?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »

who runs the trials where cops get off?

Typically grand juries, so folks like you I guess.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2016, 11:00:57 PM »
Also :lol: at the fanningbrag

Meeting a Justice is a fanningbrag? Mmmmkay. I've actually met three. It's not that unusual for law students to meet Justices.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »
Fanningbrags are unprovoked bragging about things that nobody gives a crap about, like meeting some old guy who is a noted awful human being