Author Topic: Hamilton OFFICIAL MUSICAL THEATER THREAD  (Read 18253 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton OFFICIAL MUSICAL THEATER THREAD
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:32 AM »
I thought what the cast member said was very well reasoned and said.

Yeah, I listened to the "slam" that was being said, and of course it was nothing but a well said and reasoned statement, but of course wackybutts gets butthurt about it.

It's not the statement itself but the context. I take no offense at what was said, and it was well reasoned. The problem I have is it is one of the most direct examples of people in the entertainment business using their entertainment platform to express their personal beliefs.
They have every right to express themselves freely, and the statement was thoughtful.
And people have every right to feel that entertainment and politics should be kept separate.
This is a difficult time is America. It seems that everyone has reasons to feel aggrieved.
what reality are you living in?  It's inherently a political show.  It's a show designed to give voice to actors of color.  It's a pro immigrant show.  One of the leads is an openly gay, HIV positive, performer.  All of these people are directly targeted by Pence's history of hate legislation.  Go look up what that assailed tried to do with Ryan White health legislation and tell me they should not speak their mind when the veep is in their audience.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »

Yeah, I listened to the "slam" that was being said, and of course it was nothing but a well said and reasoned statement, but of course wackybutts gets butthurt about it.

It's not the statement itself but the context. I take no offense at what was said, and it was well reasoned. The problem I have is it is one of the most direct examples of people in the entertainment business using their entertainment platform to express their personal beliefs.
They have every right to express themselves freely, and the statement was thoughtful.
And people have every right to feel that entertainment and politics should be kept separate.
This is a difficult time is America. It seems that everyone has reasons to feel aggrieved. 

eff that.  people with a platform are obligated to use it.  the confluence of politics and entertainment is nothing new, going all the way back to Aristophanes and even further.  there is a large segment of our society that doesn't have a voice, nor a platform to speak from.  the cast of Hamilton wasn't only speaking for themselves but also many others and their message should be heard.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
shame on them for luring him there and making him go to their play.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »

I find it kind of odd that he would want to attend that play, knowing what it is. Pretty sure this whole thing was a 5D chess move by Trump to take attention away from all the horrible things he is doing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »

I find it kind of odd that he would want to attend that play, knowing what it is. Pretty sure this whole thing was a 5D chess move by Trump to take attention away from all the horrible things he is doing.

Not odd, hypocritical, but not odd.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »
Trump saying the theater should be a safe space is pretty lol

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:27 AM »
I think everyone needs to fall in line and stop being critical of our leaders.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »

Shut up and sing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
We saw "Beautiful, the Carol King Story" on Sunday and it was absolutely incredible, second best musical I've ever seen. The music was great, I really didn't know anything about King going into the show but she, her husband, and her friends had massive influence on music in the 60's, 70's, and 80's; they seemingly wrote for everyone in pop music. Anyway the story was decent, it wasn't suspenseful even though I knew nothing about the woman. But as previously mentioned the music was amazing and the set design and costumes might have been better, writing was also good.

Beautiful, was just an amazingly fun two hours, watch it.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
We saw "Beautiful, the Carol King Story" on Sunday and it was absolutely incredible, second best musical I've ever seen. The music was great, I really didn't know anything about King going into the show but she, her husband, and her friends had massive influence on music in the 60's, 70's, and 80's; they seemingly wrote for everyone in pop music. Anyway the story was decent, it wasn't suspenseful even though I knew nothing about the woman. But as previously mentioned the music was amazing and the set design and costumes might have been better, writing was also good.

Great to hear of new top notch show, glad you enjoyed it.

I saw RENT in Ft. Collins on the 3rd, I've been in the production before but hadn't ever seen it on stage. The cast was excellent, Maureen was sublime. One of the many things that makes RENT so great is audience participation. People were yelling and encouraging all of the numbers that called for it and you could see how much it added to the performance. I'm really hoping to catch the tour in mid-May in Chicago. ChicagoPak anyone?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »

I saw RENT in Ft. Collins on the 3rd, I've been in the production before but hadn't ever seen it on stage. The cast was excellent, Maureen was sublime. One of the many things that makes RENT so great is audience participation. People were yelling and encouraging all of the numbers that called for it and you could see how much it added to the performance. I'm really hoping to catch the tour in mid-May in Chicago. ChicagoPak anyone?

That Chicago stop is a different tour that came here a couple of weeks ago. The tour that came here had ensemble actors singing the solos in seasons of love, I found that to be odd.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »

Sure!

Also, I guess it isn't technically musical theater, but I'm going to see the Joffrey Ballet's Nutcracker on Saturday!  :billdance:
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2017, 07:05:34 PM »
Just saw Kinky Boots in London, wow wow wow wow. The music was great, the story was fun, and the choreography was elite. Must watch for anyone.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »
Won the lottery tickets to Hamilton Chicago tonight!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
Cool, I anticipate your review. I really don't trust everyone else's.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
My kids started listening to the Hamilton soundtrack and I kind of hate it but it's always stuck in my head. So I listen to Life of Pablo to get it unstuck.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »
Like, something about Broadway-style rap just rubs me the wrong way.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
That's the stuff I'm looking for, I feel like liberalism/white guilt is driving the Hamilton hype train. I heard a clip of one song and I was like  :rolleyes:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »
Cool, I anticipate your review. I really don't trust everyone else's.

I thought it was really awesome.  Then again, I've loved the music since I first listened to the soundtrack all the way through.  If you don't care for the music, maybe you wouldn't like it?  I love the story, the music, and the interwoven political and love stories. 

It was really my first Broadway scale musical, all the others I've seen have been local (Theater in the Park / School / MAC) shows, so this blew that away.  The staging and costume changes and dancing were all impressive.  Wayne Brady as Aaron Burr was interesting.  He's about a 7 singing next to a bunch of 8-10s, but he was a 10/10 performer.  He's also only been on the production about a week or two.  For me, George Washington and King George were the biggest surprises.  I didn't think that much about them from the soundtrack, but they were both incredible.  Hamilton played by Miguel Cervantes was great, a powerful singer and performer packed into an itty bitty tiny little person.  Angelica and Eliza were both awesome singers.

The lottery tickets were front row, which is below stage level, so it was hard to see anything going on towards the back of the stage, so I'll probably go again in better seats, but I still had a great time.  Mrs. 8mp is about 5'3", so she had an even harder time seeing what was going on.

That's the stuff I'm looking for, I feel like liberalism/white guilt is driving the Hamilton hype train. I heard a clip of one song and I was like  :rolleyes:
I don't think that is what makes it a great show, but it probably helps with the hype.  Certainly not worth judging on a clip of one song though. 
 :blah:

Tl,dr: Laughed, cried and enjoyed an awesome show!  :th_twocents: :eye:  :Woohoo:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
if you go listen to "Satisfied" (no context necessary), and your emotional needle remains idle, Hamilton is probably not for you

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
if you go listen to "Satisfied" (no context necessary), and your emotional needle remains idle, Hamilton is probably not for you
I made it to the girl rapping and had to tap out. Almost left sooner.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
confirmed: Hamilton is not for you!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
You sold me 8mp, I'll see it at some point. Maybe London next year :dunno:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
Chicago in August.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
Is it in Chicago for a extended stay, or is it just a touring production?