Author Topic: 201* Concert Thread  (Read 136419 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 201* Concert Thread
« Reply #1950 on: January 11, 2024, 04:01:23 PM »
I have never been to any of those resort festivals but would love to hear how it goes.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 11, 2024, 05:58:19 PM »
I’d be down for Jenny Lewis Pak.

If anyone is getting cake tix, they have the presale password of Mastadonfarm listed on their website

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 13, 2024, 11:52:51 AM »
Making my first Red Rocks trip in August to see Spoon and The Revivalists. Very excited.

Sounds like a blast.

My 2024 concert list so far:

Jenny Lewis @ the Truman
Cake @ Grinders

Maybes:
Greta Van Fleet @ T-Mobile (I hate the big venue but imagine Greta Van Fleet can put on a big venue show)
Tech 9 and KC Symphony @ the Midland

Nice, i'll prob try and check out Cake at Grinders. Didn't even know they were going to be there. Never seen them live, sounds fun.

I've seen them twice and the first time they were with The Flaming Lips which was great.  You'll have a good time.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 13, 2024, 01:56:15 PM »
I saw cake when I was like 17 (at a festival) and it's still memorable as one of the worst performances I've witnessed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: January 13, 2024, 02:02:14 PM »
I heard their "I will survive" cover on the radio this week and it was interesting to revisit because it is partially pretty good and partially really awful

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 13, 2024, 02:30:47 PM »
Cake is not really "my thing" but I harbor no ill will, go cats

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 13, 2024, 03:01:25 PM »
I heard their "I will survive" cover on the radio this week and it was interesting to revisit because it is partially pretty good and partially really awful

Ha! It took me awhile for it to grow on me. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 13, 2024, 03:25:00 PM »
On a 0-10 scale with 5 being neutral and 10 being mega-fan I would say I'm a 5.5 with regard to cake.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1958 on: January 13, 2024, 03:30:03 PM »
What's your worst concert experience? Mine was Body Count opening for GnR & Metallica. Man, they were horrible.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 13, 2024, 04:12:13 PM »
charlie daniels band at stampede. were extremely bad.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: January 13, 2024, 04:20:43 PM »
Matchbox 20 (at the same festival as cake!) but I'm like a 1.5 on mb20

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 13, 2024, 07:08:21 PM »
What's your worst concert experience? Mine was Body Count opening for GnR & Metallica. Man, they were horrible.

This would be a good new thread?  My worst was The Cars  I loved them and Wang Chung was the opening act.  It was at Kemper and they were so bad.  The stage show sucked, they were practically lip syncing.  Wang Chung was limited to what they could do but..... I saw Wang Chung..

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: January 15, 2024, 01:48:56 PM »
I saw cake when I was like 17 (at a festival) and it's still memorable as one of the worst performances I've witnessed
I’ve heard very mixed things about their shows. They’ve definitely turned in some performances that people hated.

I like Cakes music pretty well, but I mostly like that I can put on any of their albums and listen straight through. I probably like them a 7/10 but every song is between a 6/10 and 8/10 for me.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 15, 2024, 01:50:22 PM »
Worst Show: Lupe Fiasco at the Midland. I was talking to a dude between openers and he talked about how great Lupe’s shows were. He apologized to me afterwards.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 17, 2024, 09:08:23 AM »
I didn't really start going to concerts until I was an adult, which I extremely regret. Now that i'm older and have money, I pick and choose so I haven't been to many "bad" shows. However, last year I went to see Bush at the Midland. I had actually seen them before in HS (one of my only HS or college concerts) and it was enjoyable. This time however, was not. They were so ear piercingly loud that you couldn't even hear or understand Rosdale. I'm sure its to cover from him being old, but holy eff was it loud. We were in the balcony dead center and it was like the speakers were in our faces. Do not recommend.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: January 17, 2024, 09:15:22 AM »
The Used at the Cotillion. They were opening up for Chevelle. It was horrid.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 17, 2024, 09:15:54 AM »
Looks Like I am going to Iowa in August... https://www.hinterlandiowa.com/tickets/
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 17, 2024, 10:23:41 AM »
holy crap lol

is that a real song they play? lmao

are you really not familiar with the KISS catalog?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 17, 2024, 10:59:15 AM »
holy crap lol

is that a real song they play? lmao

are you really not familiar with the KISS catalog?
I know Detroit Rock City and rock and roll all night

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 17, 2024, 11:22:37 AM »
going to Bleachers in May. my wife is fully bought in because she's convinced there's a non-zero chance taylor swift is there.
I've been progressively more disappointed by Bleachers with every album they put out.  I thought their first album was a masterpiece.  Their second album had some good stuff in it.  Their third album was mostly bad (though I do like Chinatown, which they sing with Da Boss).  I haven't decided if I want to go see them when they come to KC.

Fun fact about Bleachers/Jack Antonoff: back when I was in my OAR era, his then-band (Steel Train) opened for OAR at Sandstone, and my best friend and I really liked him and his band. This must have been in 2007 or something.  A few months later, we went and saw them play at the Middle of the Map festival in westport at the beaumont club.  We ran into Jack after his set and talked with him for a while, and my friend asked Jack if he wanted to go smoke weed with us in his car in the parking lot.  Jack said he wasn't interested.  Looking back, it's like, obviously he wouldn't want to go hangout in a 1992 crown victoria with a couple 16 year olds, but little did we know that barefoot singer of this little band we liked would one day grow up to become one of the biggest music producers in the world. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 17, 2024, 11:45:10 AM »

I still like them, but Phantogram at one of the Buzz shows at the Midland. They just don't have a lot of energy/stage presence to make it an enjoyable show.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 17, 2024, 12:33:09 PM »
Augustana is the worst live band I've ever seen.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 17, 2024, 03:57:21 PM »
Looks Like I am going to Iowa in August... https://www.hinterlandiowa.com/tickets/

I've never understood why they think having Hinterlands on the EXACT SAME WEEKEND as Lollapalooza every year is a good idea.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 18, 2024, 10:05:37 AM »

I've never understood why they think having Hinterlands on the EXACT SAME WEEKEND as Lollapalooza every year is a good idea.
Yeah me neither but it is what it is. I am in line for tickets right now.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 18, 2024, 11:41:06 AM »
different target demo