Author Topic: Frank Martin  (Read 52734 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Martin
« Reply #450 on: March 14, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »
Tulsa and Vandy over USC is unreal.
How is Vandy unreal?

USC has more overall wins, more wins against the top 100, more road wins and beat Vanderbilt head-to-head; Vandy has a significantly better RPI but the committee proved they didn't care about that.

I don't find any of the tournament snubs unreal really. These things happen every year, the fault is in teams putting themselves into the position that one of the committee's subjective criteria can be used to leave you out.

That's a cop out. Yes, the teams need to win and not put themselves on the bubble but there will always be teams on the bubble and the committee has a job to do just like the committee does. This committee managed to do the following
1. Put a team in with the worst ever RPI.
2. Not only did the committee put Syracuse in but they gave them a comfortable seed. Letting them use a coach suspension who their governing body suspended because of rules violations is a joke on several levels.
3. First time an eligible 24 win power 5 team was excluded.
4. Put a team in with the lowest strength of record for at large in tournament history.
5. Excluding a mid-major who is #30 in the RPI with 7 top 100 wins and 3 top 25 wins, two of these on the road and including a mid-major with an RPI of 58 with 7 top 100 wins and one to 25 win is criminal.

Any one or even two of these things in a given year is meh, all of them happening and more in one season is failure.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2016, 01:21:34 AM »
I'll agree with a large part of that. Honestly, I don't like Frank and am quite happy when successes don't find him.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 14, 2016, 01:22:17 AM »
And I need this thread to keep holding water for my self esteem.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
Frank's coaching brains currently reside in Nacogdoches Texas. 

You can't limp and sputter down the stretch, go 0-3 against dumbstick, get absolutely destroyed at home by 1 of the 2 Top 50 teams you play all year and not have serious questions about making the tournament. 

FrankenFebDisaster did USC in.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 14, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
I wonder what the highest January ranking is for a team that ended up not making the tournament is? Seems like usc was top 10 in January.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 14, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Frank Haith must know where Mark Emmert buried some dead bodies or something. Only explanation for how his last 5 years has unfolded.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 14, 2016, 07:25:56 AM »
Frank's coaching brains currently reside in Nacogdoches Texas. 

You can't limp and sputter down the stretch, go 0-3 against dumbstick, get absolutely destroyed at home by 1 of the 2 Top 50 teams you play all year and not have serious questions about making the tournament. 

FrankenFebDisaster did USC in.

Are you incapable of placing your weird Frank deal aside to see the garbage job the committee did? Tulsa lost to a team appreciably worse than Georgia twice out of its last three games by 10 and 22 points. And again USC beat Tulsa. USC didn't get in so it is what it is but there are two at large teams inarguably worse than USC.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 14, 2016, 07:37:28 AM »
Tulsa and Vandy are real head scratchers.  Hopefully Frank can make it happen next year.  This certainly appeared to be his window of opportunity though.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Syracuse getting in was bullshit too.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
There is just so much subjectivity and I believe it happens every year. I don't get mad at this stuff at all.

There is decent rationale here. I agree that the criteria is a moving target, but it has to be when comparing these teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/112470/the-committee-got-so-much-wrong-and-here-is-how

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
Cal gave a great interview

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 14, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
I heard cussing in the distance.last night. So bad coyotes were howling.  Now I know why.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
USCe handed their resume to get jobbed by the committee over on a silver platter with a 4-6 Feb and March.   

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »
I wonder what the highest January ranking is for a team that ended up not making the tournament is? Seems like usc was top 10 in January.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

1996-97 Michigan was in the top 10 for half the season and didn't make it.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
Auburn is going to be competitive next year and Alabama will be improved.  Florida will likely be much better and A&M and Kentucky are going to remain at the top.  He may not make it again next year either.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »
Honestly, he should do the Frank Haith job reset. He should leave that shitty job and go to a good mid major, a job in the AAC, A10, or Big East would be ideal.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
Honestly, he should do the Frank Haith job reset. He should leave that shitty job and go to a good mid major, a job in the AAC, A10, or Big East would be ideal.
Yep, not a bad idea. UCF might be nice.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »
Except that's also kind of a shitty job

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
Those jobs will give him more time and the hill isn't as high to climb. He can absolutely scheme his way into good seasons easier at Tulane and UCF than he could at USC.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:49 PM »
Memphis!

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
Not so good without undy and delonte
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »
If Frank came to Tulane I would be at every game. :love:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
USCe handed their resume to get jobbed by the committee over on a silver platter with a 4-6 Feb and March.   

There were a bunch of teams that were absolute crap down the stretch but were in.  USCw was 3-7 and got in comfortably. I'm pretty sure they don't have a win as good as SC @ A&M too.

With the field at 68 now, I have a much harder time thinking a team was egregiously robbed.  IMO, Frank deserved to be in but was punished for his laughable non-con schedule.  I think playing a tournament team, even if it would've meant a loss, would have helped the resume enormously.  The committee usually rewards a non-major with a tough non-con so I don't really have a problem with them punishing the opposite.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »

There were a bunch of teams that were absolute crap down the stretch but were in.  USCw was 3-7 and got in comfortably. I'm pretty sure they don't have a win as good as SC @ A&M too.

With the field at 68 now, I have a much harder time thinking a team was egregiously robbed.  IMO, Frank deserved to be in but was punished for his laughable non-con schedule.  I think playing a tournament team, even if it would've meant a loss, would have helped the resume enormously.  The committee usually rewards a non-major with a tough non-con so I don't really have a problem with them punishing the opposite.

Which why I used the word "jobbed".

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned that SC beat Tulsa on a neutral floor. A little bit of a paradox that they were punished for not having enough top 50 wins because Tulsa wasn't in the top 50.

Literally, a team they beat was better than them because that team wasn't quite good enough by the NCAA's standards.

The same could be said about Vanderbilt.