Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 138891 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #900 on: June 25, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »
i mean, rusty, you realize that your philosophy now has you excusing murder because of the vague, amorphous link to the wealth and power discrepancy in America. 

We were pretty clearly talking on a macro scale, and I presented a theory for why a black American may be statistically more likely to commit murder. An explanation for and understanding of the variance in murder rate is not the same thing as "excusing murder".

And do you really think the link from racist government policy to black poverty to black crime is "vague"? I'd again urge you again to read Color of Law and share your thoughts.

don't you think it makes more sense to acknowledge the negative effects of the wealth and power discrepancy, work to change the discrepancy, and still hold individuals accountable for their own actions regardless of the color of their skin?

I mean yeah I think that's more productive than "excusing murder" but as I mentioned that's not what I'm doing.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 25, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
I gave a very specific example, the "racial stereotype" that whites are more likely to call the cops on a minority for something petty.

sorry, i meant another example.

i've tried to come up with an example for longer than i will admit.  i just can't conjure up "real, positive effects" from negative stereotyping based on anecdotal evidence.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 25, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
I gave a very specific example, the "racial stereotype" that whites are more likely to call the cops on a minority for something petty.

sorry, i meant another example.

i've tried to come up with an example for longer than i will admit.  i just can't conjure up "real, positive effects" from negative stereotyping based on anecdotal evidence.

In general, I think it really only applies when the stereotype is something like "Group A treats Group B like crap" and Group A is like, "huh, I've never thought of it that way but yeah, folks in Group A do kind of treat Group B like crap and I should be more cognizant of that". "Racial stereotypes" don't fit into nice, neat categories.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 25, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
I'm listening to a C-SPAN convo between Rothstein(Color of Law) and Coates.  These guys are something else.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 25, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 25, 2018, 08:52:13 PM »
heard something related to this on the radio today so it popped into my head, but how about this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-stereotype-is-killing-black-children/2017/02/10/2c06fa14-e249-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.82b47ff22216

yes this is an interesting one that wouldn't necessarily fit my category.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 25, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
I'm listening to a C-SPAN convo between Rothstein(Color of Law) and Coates.  These guys are something else.

do you take issue with the content or how they speak or what? (Rothstein's definitely easier to digest on print)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »

do you take issue with the content or how they speak or what? (Rothstein's definitely easier to digest on print)
I thought the discussion around the 24 minute mark on how the New Deal really introduced government sponsored racism in housing because the government was not involved in housing before that and therefore couldn't have racist policies was really interesting and not touched on in the book and directly.

Also the discussion immediately after on how history books address racist housing policy was good too.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 25, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
i mean, rusty, you realize that your philosophy now has you excusing murder because of the vague, amorphous link to the wealth and power discrepancy in America. 

We were pretty clearly talking on a macro scale, and I presented a theory for why a black American may be statistically more likely to commit murder. An explanation for and understanding of the variance in murder rate is not the same thing as "excusing murder".

And do you really think the link from racist government policy to black poverty to black crime is "vague"? I'd again urge you again to read Color of Law and share your thoughts.

don't you think it makes more sense to acknowledge the negative effects of the wealth and power discrepancy, work to change the discrepancy, and still hold individuals accountable for their own actions regardless of the color of their skin?

I mean yeah I think that's more productive than "excusing murder" but as I mentioned that's not what I'm doing.
The white stereotype you listed was a criticism of White America's eagerness to call the police on black people for innocuous things.  My view is that I agree -- it's bad when that happens.  That shouldn't happen, and when people do that, they deserve criticism. 

For the sake of the argument that racial stereotypes are bad, I brought up a stereotype of black people being violent, which you were quick to dismiss because White America is the true underlying cause of disproportionate black violence in the macro. But getting to the underlying cause of the stereotype isn't even considered when we criticize BBQ Becky. The analysis just ends with her bad act of calling the police. We don't care if she was motivated by an underlying statistically accurate perception of the demographics of violent crime.  She did something bad, end of story.

And in my view, the treatment of BBQ Becky (as an individual) should end there because individuals have the agency to not unnecessarily call the police (or commit murder), notwithstanding whatever broad underlying forces that might tacitly encourage them to.   And if we acknowledge that individuals have that agency, then I think the logical next step is to hold individuals responsible only for their own actions and not the actions of others. 

To be clear, I also think the individuals who instituted bad policies should be held accountable for their own bad acts (of instituting the policy), and that voters should be held accountable for their own bad acts (of putting those people in office).  I think the responsibility becomes more tenuous the further down the line things get from the actual bad consequence.

And I'm sorry but I'm not going to read Color of the Law.  I'm fairly certain I understand the arguments and acknowledge that systemic racism and bias have disproportionately affected broad swaths of black people for generations which have all sorts of negative effects (including Black violence).  I just don't hold you or I accountable for it.

We agree on quite a bit, but I'm worried we're never going to come to an agreement on this individual/group responsibility dynamic.  I keep thinking the impasse has to be some semantical thing.  One of these days I hope we figure it out.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 25, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »
The white stereotype you listed was a criticism of White America's eagerness to call the police on black people for innocuous things.  My view is that I agree -- it's bad when that happens.  That shouldn't happen, and when people do that, they deserve criticism. 

For the sake of the argument that racial stereotypes are bad, I brought up a stereotype of black people being violent, which you were quick to dismiss because White America is the true underlying cause of disproportionate black violence in the macro. But getting to the underlying cause of the stereotype isn't even considered when we criticize BBQ Becky. The analysis just ends with her bad act of calling the police. We don't care if she was motivated by an underlying statistically accurate perception of the demographics of violent crime.  She did something bad, end of story.

I saw quite a bit of discussion on her motivation and a lot of it had to do with the relationship whites have with the police compared with blacks. BBQ Becky wasn't afraid of violent crime, she was trying to assert power, which is probably why people didn't consider violent crime statistics in their discussions.

And in my view, the treatment of BBQ Becky (as an individual) should end there because individuals have the agency to not unnecessarily call the police (or commit murder), notwithstanding whatever broad underlying forces that might tacitly encourage them to.   And if we acknowledge that individuals have that agency, then I think the logical next step is to hold individuals responsible only for their own actions and not the actions of others. 

That's all fair, but it's also fair to discuss why whites are more comfortable and/or more likely to call the cops than other races. We can have that conversation without holding dlew, a white person, accountable. Just like we can discuss underlying factors that lead to more crime in black communities without letting an individual black murder off the hook.

To be clear, I also think the individuals who instituted bad policies should be held accountable for their own bad acts (of instituting the policy), and that voters should be held accountable for their own bad acts (of putting those people in office).  I think the responsibility becomes more tenuous the further down the line things get from the actual bad consequence.

well yeah except for the problem you pretty clearly understand - it's impossible to hold folks like Roosevelt and Southern Democrats responsible for racist public housing policies in the New Deal. So what do we do about it (along with all the other problems our government unconstitutionally created)? Nothing?

And I'm sorry but I'm not going to read Color of the Law.  I'm fairly certain I understand the arguments and acknowledge that systemic racism and bias have disproportionately affected broad swaths of black people for generations which have all sorts of negative effects (including Black violence).  I just don't hold you or I accountable for it.

I mean the fact that one post ago you literally said crime had a "vague, amorphous link to the wealth and power discrepancy in America" sure made it seem like you didn't have a very good understanding. Regardless, you seem to enjoy these conversations, so I think you'd find the book enlightening and I'd like to hear your rebuttal to the points made.

And again, I don't think you or I or any single individual living today is necessarily "accountable" for the institutional racism, and that's a big part of why it's such a complex problem to address (which you also touch on earlier). It is important to acknowledge it, understand it, and simply "holding individuals accountable for their own bad acts" does little to address the issues at hand in a meaningful way.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »

... and simply "holding individuals accountable for their own bad acts" does little to address the issues at hand in a meaningful way.

Yet that seems like the only fair thing to do if we want to actually operationalize the purpose behind the 14th Amendment?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:40 AM »

... and simply "holding individuals accountable for their own bad acts" does little to address the issues at hand in a meaningful way.

Yet that seems like the only fair thing to do if we want to actually operationalize the purpose behind the 14th Amendment?

Not sure, but it's kind of tricky when many would argue that unfair, government-supported violations of the 14th Amendment are major factors in the racial crime and wealth disparities we see.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 26, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »

Not sure, but it's kind of tricky when many would argue that unfair, government-supported violations of the 14th Amendment are major factors in the racial crime and wealth disparities we see.

also, I think something like increasing Section 8 vouchers to allow more poor folks to move into wealthier neighborhoods could be a positive step toward reducing modern segregation, without being too unfair.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »

Perhaps that's why the 14th Amendment has had more litigation concerning it than every other amendment combined. But change is excruciatingly slow, both in society and in the courts (but I would argue it's slower in society). It's great that you've identified power gradients that have existed in correlation with race, but come on, guy... We've been addressing that for 150 years. Self-flagellation and drum circles aren't going to solve it, and you can't reach into the minds of bigots. So we must try to shape policies to promote individual rights that act as a bulwark against institutional discrimination. But that must by necessity cut both ways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:42 AM »
So we must try to shape policies to promote individual rights that act as a bulwark against institutional discrimination.

such as?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:59 AM »
hey dlew, imagine how awful it would be if you were actually the regular discriminatory victim of racial stereotyping.

Sounds pretty bad, huh?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 26, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »
What happened to this thread?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
hey dlew, imagine how awful it would be if you were actually the regular discriminatory victim of racial stereotyping.

Sounds pretty bad, huh?
of course.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
on housing/school admissions.  an idea has been floating around to bias admissions to competitive hs and universities by median income of an area (school district or whatever the zone is).  pretty neat idea, imo.  would seem vulnerable to wealthy families maintaining ghost households for admissions purposes, but otherwise pretty interesting.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #923 on: June 26, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »

https://twitter.com/lizzie_wade/status/1010178688254730244

Interesting thread

i saw that thread.  very lol.

I don't think she's technically wrong.  Human sacrifice was a understood part of life in mesoamerica.  It wasn't just the triple alliance doing it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 26, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
I don't think she's technically wrong.  Human sacrifice was a understood part of life in mesoamerica.  It wasn't just the triple alliance doing it.

have you read the entire thread?