Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 138680 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #875 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
i don't think the author was trying to condemn a self-promotion of whiteness.  i think she was trying to identify an incipient trend in which white americans perceive themselves to be, and act as if they are, one cohesive racial or ethnic group among many, rather than a default lack of race or ethnicity.

Yeah and they're having difficulty dealing with other ethnic groups talking about "white people" as "white people" have generally talked about other ethnic groups. I mean dlew automatically views someone identifying "white people" as a group being synonymous with "oppressor", and the article didn't mention oppression at all.
lol no - i was giving an explanation for why "white people" may have a completely understandable (and non-threatening) reason to acknowledge their status as "white" when the article treats it as some kind of foreboding omen.

as an aside, i do find it interesting that we're talking about white people in terms of "they" and "them" instead of "we" and "us" as if we're not including ourselves in the group of "white people" the article is describing.  i wonder what that says about us.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 25, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
as an aside, i do find it interesting that we're talking about white people in terms of "they" and "them" instead of "we" and "us" as if we're not including ourselves in the group of "white people" the article is describing.  i wonder what that says about us.

I find that pretty thought provoking, and it is actually my main takeaway from the article.  I am used to seeing myself as just a guy who doesn't really have much of a culture or affinity group.  I'm pretty uncomfortable with the thought of being lumped in with other white people for anything really other than statistical data.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 25, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »
i don't think the author was trying to condemn a self-promotion of whiteness.  i think she was trying to identify an incipient trend in which white americans perceive themselves to be, and act as if they are, one cohesive racial or ethnic group among many, rather than a default lack of race or ethnicity.

Yeah and they're having difficulty dealing with other ethnic groups talking about "white people" as "white people" have generally talked about other ethnic groups. I mean dlew automatically views someone identifying "white people" as a group being synonymous with "oppressor", and the article didn't mention oppression at all.
lol no - i was giving an explanation for why "white people" may have a completely understandable (and non-threatening) reason to acknowledge their status as "white" when the article treats it as some kind of foreboding omen.

well I think you nailed it - most of the wypipo stereotypes are pretty negative and we don't want to be associated with them.

I still think it's fair that when we discuss things like the Starbucks arrest or BBQ Becky or Permit Patty we should acknowledge what's happening and understand that even if we don't behave like those folks, "white people" have been doing things like this (and much worse) for years and really don't have the reverse happen.  It's a positive that we're being called out and mocked for this type of nonsense, even if it might hurt a lot of "innocent" white feelings.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #878 on: June 25, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »
White is the default culture

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 25, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 25, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »

well I think you nailed it - most of the wypipo stereotypes are pretty negative and we don't want to be associated with them.

I still think it's fair that when we discuss things like the Starbucks arrest or BBQ Becky or Permit Patty we should acknowledge what's happening and understand that even if we don't behave like those folks, "white people" have been doing things like this (and much worse) for years and really don't have the reverse happen. It's a positive that we're being called out and mocked for this type of nonsense, even if it might hurt a lot of "innocent" white feelings.
But isn't that just racial stereotyping? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 25, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »

I still think it's fair that when we discuss things like the Starbucks arrest or BBQ Becky or Permit Patty we should acknowledge what's happening and understand that even if we don't behave like those folks, "white people" have been doing things like this (and much worse) for years and really don't have the reverse happen. It's a positive that we're being called out and mocked for this type of nonsense, even if it might hurt a lot of "innocent" white feelings.

Not sure how you took that. Saying something like "white people have been calling the police on minorities for bullshit reasons for years" seems like it could be statistically verified. :dunno:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
Yea, but when you say stuff like that it is either meaningless or intended to ascribe the behavior to the entire group.

If I say Mexicans have been raping for years, or black people have been murdering for years, those can also be statistically verified.  But I wouldn't be saying them as facts, I would be saying them as accusations.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 25, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »

Not sure how you took that. Saying something like "white people have been calling the police on minorities for bullshit reasons for years" seems like it could be statistically verified. :dunno:
Well - okay maybe i should back up. what's your definition of a "racial stereotype"?   mine would be "the assignment of features to a racial group based on the actions of some of that group's members."

i mean, the first part of your post acknowledged "wypipo stereotypes." 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:50:43 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
Rusty's argument seems to presume that there are good and bad forms of racial stereotyping, and that we can readily discern between the two.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 25, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
You could almost say it's black and white, in his view.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 25, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
it's not a good thing or a bad thing (or if it is, it is not apparent to me at this point in time).  it's just a thing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »

Well - okay maybe i should back up. what's your definition of a "racial stereotype"?   mine would be "the assignment of features to a racial group based on the actions of some of that group's members."

i mean, the first part of your post acknowledged "wypipo stereotypes." 

well there's a couple things going on here. "wypipo" sterotypes like being told we don't season our food or use washcloths - kinda funny, may be true, not really something we want to be associated with but probably not statistically verifiable in any way and probably has little positive or negative impact on society when called out (given white's dominant status in the US). A statement like "white people are more likely to call the police on little girls selling bottled water on a hot day" is also something we definitely don't want to be associated with but are anecdotally true and could probably be statistically verified, and calling out this "stereotype" (if that's what it is) could have real positive effects if we force white people to face them and think about them.

As sys says, it's just kind of a thing.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
something we [they] definitely don't want to be associated with but are anecdotally true and could probably be statistically verified, and calling out this "stereotype" (if that's what it is) could have real positive effects if we force white [insert ethnicity/race] people to face them and think about them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 25, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
something we [they] definitely don't want to be associated with but are anecdotally true and could probably be statistically verified, and calling out this "stereotype" (if that's what it is) could have real positive effects if we force white [insert ethnicity/race] people to face them and think about them.

try a real life example

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »

try a real life example
i'm struggling. you first.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 25, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »
I gave a very specific example, the "racial stereotype" that whites are more likely to call the cops on a minority for something petty.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 25, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »
i wonder how the conversation would go with my best friend if i made him confront that members of his race are far more likely to murder someone than members of mine.  i think it would be just about as beneficial and condescending as any other statement broadly criticizing white people or mexicans or muslims or any other group for whatever transgression some members of their group carried out.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:38:45 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
i wonder how the conversation would go with my best friend if i made him confront that members of his race are far more likely to murder someone than members of mine.  ostensibly it would have real positive effects if he faced that truism and thought about it.

yeah, that's a pretty good one. I think both yours and mine have a similar origin: the power and wealth discrepancy between whites and blacks in the present day caused by White America's racist past. Worthy discussion, but you might want to present it in a different way than you wrote it. :thumbs:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
you are a master of your craft.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 25, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
i mean, rusty, you realize that your philosophy now has you excusing murder because of the vague, amorphous link to the wealth and power discrepancy in America. 

don't you think it makes more sense to acknowledge the negative effects of the wealth and power discrepancy, work to change the discrepancy, and still hold individuals accountable for their own actions regardless of the color of their skin?