Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 94299 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #625 on: November 10, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »
"That's all this is about?  Someone getting called th n word and some feces smeared on a wall?  That's it?"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 10, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

That's really stupid, trim. People not at Mizzou have a much better grasp of what people at Mizzou are going through.

Just realized I should've been more clear in that I believe black people who've been or are at mizzou who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 10, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
"They want a utopia in Columbia where no one is mean, Christian and Jew and Islam." 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Is the magnitude of white privilege subject to exponential decay over time?

Of course man but most of the relevant movement to this point has been through legislation. I have serious doubts as to how much more that line can move though.

Do you think it's worthwhile to create legislation that makes things more difficult for white men, and therefore more advantageous for minorities, until the line is moved to where you think it should be? 

And once the line gets there, are those legislative actions repealed and all is forgiven?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just am curious of the end-game.  I would really hate it if we as a society were still talking about this crap in a hundred years (as in I wish it weren't an issue).

Oh sure, I mean lets just get a big bonfire and a pile of wood and a tanker truck full of jet fuel and then light it with the constitution and the bill of rights, that's where you're at.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.
Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

Are you kidding? What do you think would happen if Claws was interviewed in the postgame and he said "the crowd was good but I saw a bunch of faggots and bull dikes in section 24 and I wish they would stay home with the other fairies?" Please tell me you're not getting confused about what free speech is.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:38:49 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 10, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
I mean do you have evidence of this or is it just a colloquial anecdote that gets retold a lot like illegal aliens vote for democrats in droves?
Yeah, it's absolutely a thing.  The following is from the Law School Admission Council's website.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law-school/racial-ethnic-minority-applicants

To see this policy in action, check out the following, which is a link to Cornell Law's admissions from last year -- note how the outliers are (self-identified) URMs. 

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

I picked Cornell randomly, but feel free to look at some other schools and I promise you'd find the same thing.

Again, I hold no ill-will towards the practice.  Maybe it's a little unfair, but I get why it exists.  I also get why it might piss off some applicants.  But I would think it'd be pretty impolite for one of those miffed applicants to demand that a black law student admit her admissions advantage in public. 

Even if it were true doesn't the need to artificially tip the scales show that there are built in historical, systematic advantages for the majority?
Absolutely.  All I'm saying is that I just wonder if demanding people publicly acknowledge their white male privilege is a worthwhile exercise.

A little off topic but I read something the other day that admissions like this were actually harmful to the recipient. According to this study, the number of students accepted with "lowered" standards that dropped out was extremely high and the conclusion was that placing these students in a more score appropriate school had much higher chances of success.

It was an interesting read
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.
Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

Are you kidding? What do you think would happen if class was interviewed in the postgame and he said "the crowd was good but I saw a bunch of faggots and bull dikes in section 24 and I wish they would stay home with the other fairies?" Please tell me you're not getting confused about what free speech is.
I think you mistyped -- Who is class?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:32:06 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »
I'm waiting for sys to pounce on his use of "deceived."

Where did I do that at? I'm on my phone and I may have gotten "swyped" wherever it is does the word "perceived" fit better?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 10, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »
"They want a utopia in Columbia where no one is mean, Christian and Jew and Islam."
Hunger strike guy's family is loaded and apparently that makes a big difference.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 10, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
I mean do you have evidence of this or is it just a colloquial anecdote that gets retold a lot like illegal aliens vote for democrats in droves?
Yeah, it's absolutely a thing.  The following is from the Law School Admission Council's website.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law-school/racial-ethnic-minority-applicants

To see this policy in action, check out the following, which is a link to Cornell Law's admissions from last year -- note how the outliers are (self-identified) URMs. 

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

I picked Cornell randomly, but feel free to look at some other schools and I promise you'd find the same thing.

Again, I hold no ill-will towards the practice.  Maybe it's a little unfair, but I get why it exists.  I also get why it might piss off some applicants.  But I would think it'd be pretty impolite for one of those miffed applicants to demand that a black law student admit her admissions advantage in public. 

Even if it were true doesn't the need to artificially tip the scales show that there are built in historical, systematic advantages for the majority?
Absolutely.  All I'm saying is that I just wonder if demanding people publicly acknowledge their white male privilege is a worthwhile exercise.

Thank you

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 10, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

i haven't read further in the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not being irrelevant.

it's stupid because the supposed "privilege" is mostly that American society functions more or less as it should for white people (i kinda reject the male part as irrelevant and/or misleading, or at a minimum different in nature) and less well for many non-white people.  the construct of society functioning properly as a privilege is backwards.  society should function for everyone.  what is identified as privilege is not privilege, it is the baseline.  groups deprived of this level of function are being repressed.

there are other elements of caught up in the construct of "white privilege" that are really separate (correlated, but nonetheless separate) issues.  the privileges of inherited wealth, class, etc.

another reason it's stupid, or at least useless, is that it is a conversation that leads nowhere.  "acknowledge your white privilege".  "i've been very fortunate, thanks."  - yay, issue resolved?

Thanks sys. I would say that this is an issue of semantics, the issues you bring up are legit issues. I think that if this issue is one that is consumed by the masses though your approach is a bit too nuanced to be properly discussed without getting into the weeds; white privilege is a very simple way to package this particular issue, not saying that's right but that's what it is.

I've addressed why I think it is important for powerful white people to acknowledge white privilege or as you put it why the basic functions of society are deceived for some, so I won't repeat myself.

Isn't that kinda the root of this whole issue (not just the white privilege talk but what's going on at Mizzou, and maybe even Yale) in general? The overgeneralization of a few people and applying overgeneralization to a larger audience because it's easier to understand and digest?
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 10, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Holy crap Keitz lost his damn mind. Incredible.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 10, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
have we talked about how you're supposed to call the cops on hurtful speech now at mizzou?

Who cares man, don't get lost in the weeds
That probably deserves its own thread.

No it doesn't. It's a stupid policy, observation, whatever. Do we even know who dictated this mandate? It sounds like someone pissed off at what is happening here and they are going to an extreme to prove a point. You ever have an argument with your SO and she says something to the effect of "I wish you would have talked to me first" and then you reply with "fine, I'll ask you when I have to go the bathroom and when I get a drink of water," this seems like it's like that.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 10, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
have we talked about how you're supposed to call the cops on hurtful speech now at mizzou?

Who cares man, don't get lost in the weeds
That probably deserves its own thread.

No it doesn't. It's a stupid policy, observation, whatever. Do we even know who dictated this mandate? It sounds like someone pissed off at what is happening here and they are going to an extreme to prove a point. You ever have an argument with your SO and she says something to the effect of "I wish you would have talked to me first" and then you reply with "fine, I'll ask you when I have to go the bathroom and when I get a drink of water," this seems like it's like that.

Apparently the university police emailed the student body telling them to call the police to report any incidents, and they will investigate.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 10, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »

it was like when an older athlete is getting up in years and isn't as good, but he finds that magic again one time and it was as good as anything he did in his prime.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 10, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »

Hunger strike guy's family is loaded and apparently that makes a big difference.

"Gandhi's parents were rich!"

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 10, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »

Probably the best radio in years.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 10, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
I hope he shares it! I will listen!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 10, 2015, 04:33:25 PM »
Is the magnitude of white privilege subject to exponential decay over time?

Of course man but most of the relevant movement to this point has been through legislation. I have serious doubts as to how much more that line can move though.

Do you think it's worthwhile to create legislation that makes things more difficult for white men, and therefore more advantageous for minorities, until the line is moved to where you think it should be? 

And once the line gets there, are those legislative actions repealed and all is forgiven?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just am curious of the end-game.  I would really hate it if we as a society were still talking about this crap in a hundred years (as in I wish it weren't an issue).

As far as race goes, no I don't see any need for further legislation. The legislation that got us to this point provided us with basic rights that white American males had upon the founding of this country, that minorities and women have just gotten in some of you people's lifetimes. Law has gotten us to a point, it is up to society to tow the rope the rest of the way.

Now ask me about the need for legislation for people of all sex, gender, and sexual identity; we aren't way off there.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 10, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »

I hope he shares it! I will listen!

He even worked the planned parenthood angle in to it and handled a female caller pushing back about access to contraceptives!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 10, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

That's really stupid, trim. People not at Mizzou have a much better grasp of what people at Mizzou are going through.

Just realized I should've been more clear in that I believe black people who've been or are at mizzou who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

Not acceptable trim, sorry bud

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 10, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »

Are you kidding? What do you think would happen if Claws was interviewed in the postgame and he said "the crowd was good but I saw a bunch of faggots and bull dikes in section 24 and I wish they would stay home with the other fairies?" Please tell me you're not getting confused about what free speech is.
I think you mistyped -- Who is class?

Damnit "swyped" that should have read Claws, read again.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 10, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
i don't know who Claws is either?  is he a student at missouri?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 10, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »
For on point story about how unhinged and utterly unaware this group is, it absolutely screams privilege in its own right:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/how-campus-activists-are-weaponizing-the-safe-space/415080/

The modern college student . . . only their rights matter.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
i don't know who Claws is either?  is he a student at missouri?

He's #32.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=36341.0