Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93841 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #600 on: November 10, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
cliched story fits his post better than anecdote or anecdotal story (the latter is kinda redundant).
well "anecdote story" is also redundant.

you wouldn't say anecdote story though, you'd replace story with anecdote (that's why "story" follows "cliched" and "anecdotal", but not "anecdote" in my post).
ugh no -- the word he was unsure about immediately preceded "story."

right.  i evaluated three ways to fix his sentence, indicating my preference for the first option (and ignoring michigancat's ridiculous notion about using cliche as an adjective).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 10, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 10, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.
Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 10, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

Because it's complete bullshit and it's a cop out for deeper underlying issues which should be of greater focus.  I can also provide a million examples of it not existing and white people overcoming obstacles to achieve success, such as my dad who was born in a one pump gas station that my grandparents owned in a small rural town because they couldn't afford to go to the hospital. 

Asian-Americans earn more money and have a lower unemployment rate then any other demographic group.  So do you believe there is an asian privilege in America?

I think we have different definitions of what privilege is, privilege to me had little to nothing to do with how much money Asians make. There are several pretty obvious factors that effect that number. I bet the number of Asians in supervisory, CEO type roles don't look anything like the average salary chart looks. Native Americans are at the bottom of the pay scale followed by African Americans, look at the history of our country as it relates to those three groups and you tell me why you think there is such a disparity between the three, it's pretty obvious.

Also white privilege has nothing at all to do with all white people being successful. Do you really think that there's people out there that don't think there are white people that struggle?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »

Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

Every school has its own handbook, but I'm sure they are in many cases. OU expelled a bunch of fraternity members for hate speech just last year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

That's really stupid, trim. People not at Mizzou have a much better grasp of what people at Mizzou are going through.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »

Well, they already have taken action by disciplining a drunk student who heckled a group of black students with a racial slur, and he may even be kicked out.

Again though, the this just wasn't enough. The prez had to go. I guess because he "didn't convene a conference" on the issue (besides the two meetings he had with activists).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 10, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »

They should be forced to watch John Singleton's "Higher Learning" starring Omar Epps, Kristy Swanson, and (my personal favorite) Michael Rapaport.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »

Well, they already have taken action by disciplining a drunk student who heckled a group of black students with a racial slur, and he may even be kicked out.

Again though, the this just wasn't enough.

Obviously

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 10, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »

The SAE chapter at MU has to be nervous AF

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 10, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »

The SAE chapter at MU has to be nervous AF

At least all the liberal women are uggo, tho.  Hopefully this will have them keeping their distance.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 10, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »
Every school has its own handbook, but I'm sure they are in many cases. OU expelled a bunch of fraternity members for hate speech just last year.
I'm not saying Mizzou couldn't practically expell the students.  I'm saying that if they did, it would be illegal -- just as the expulsion of those racist SAEs at OU would likely be found illegal if said racists ever filed suit.

These kinds of speech codes are bizarre and shouldn't be tolerated.  The student group suppressing speech is one thing, but the university is "the state" and concerning on a whole other level.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 10, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

i haven't read further in the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not being irrelevant.

it's stupid because the supposed "privilege" is mostly that American society functions more or less as it should for white people (i kinda reject the male part as irrelevant and/or misleading, or at a minimum different in nature) and less well for many non-white people.  the construct of society functioning properly as a privilege is backwards.  society should function for everyone.  what is identified as privilege is not privilege, it is the baseline.  groups deprived of this level of function are being repressed.

there are other elements of caught up in the construct of "white privilege" that are really separate (correlated, but nonetheless separate) issues.  the privileges of inherited wealth, class, etc.

another reason it's stupid, or at least useless, is that it is a conversation that leads nowhere.  "acknowledge your white privilege".  "i've been very fortunate, thanks."  - yay, issue resolved?

Thanks sys. I would say that this is an issue of semantics, the issues you bring up are legit issues. I think that if this issue is one that is consumed by the masses though your approach is a bit too nuanced to be properly discussed without getting into the weeds; white privilege is a very simple way to package this particular issue, not saying that's right but that's what it is.

I've addressed why I think it is important for powerful white people to acknowledge white privilege or as you put it why the basic functions of society are deceived for some, so I won't repeat myself.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
I'm not saying Mizzou couldn't practically expell the students.  I'm saying that if they did, it would be illegal -- just as the expulsion of those racist SAEs at OU would likely be found illegal if said racists ever filed suit.

These kinds of speech codes are bizarre and shouldn't be tolerated.  The student group suppressing speech is one thing, but the university is "the state" and concerning on a whole other level.

The university is obligated to provide a safe learning environment for all of its students. I don't think a university expelling a student for expressing hateful speech is a violation of that student's constitutional right any more than an employer firing an employee. The student wouldn't be facing criminal charges. He would just be getting told that he can no longer attend the University of Missouri, which plenty of other people are told for various reasons every year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

What universities are black students getting privilege with admissions criteria? It certainly isn't at Mizzou or K-State.
I can only speak for my experience, but at least with law school admissions, it is well known that "underrepresented minorities" get into schools with worse credentials than those who aren't "URMs."  Mind you, i have no problem with the preferential treatment, as i think it's important for underrepresented minority races to have members of their race attend law school and be able to shape the policies of tomorrow, but that advantage absolutely exists.

I mean do you have evidence of this or is it just a colloquial anecdote that gets retold a lot like illegal aliens vote for democrats in droves? Even if it were true doesn't the need to artificially tip the scales show that there are built in historical, systematic advantages for the majority?

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

What universities are black students getting privilege with admissions criteria? It certainly isn't at Mizzou or K-State.
I can only speak for my experience, but at least with law school admissions, it is well known that "underrepresented minorities" get into schools with worse credentials than those who aren't "URMs."  Mind you, i have no problem with the preferential treatment, as i think it's important for underrepresented minority races to have members of their race attend law school and be able to shape the policies of tomorrow, but that advantage absolutely exists.

I mean do you have evidence of this or is it just a colloquial anecdote that gets retold a lot like illegal aliens vote for democrats in droves? Even if it were true doesn't the need to artificially tip the scales show that there are built in historical, systematic advantages for the majority?

God job MIR for using anecdote the right way.  :cheers:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 10, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
I'm waiting for sys to pounce on his use of "deceived."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 10, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »

:lol: Why's it hurt you to just admit it?! Well it doesn't necessarily exist for all whites or all males for starters, and it's also pretty biggoted to focus only on "white" and "male" and "white male" privilege when all sorts of other privileges abound. But more importantly, can "you black people" tell me why it's so important to you for "white male privilege" to be acknowledged? How does that help you in any way than to help ratchet up that chip on your shoulder a few more notches?

There are a few people who I've stopped reading itt simply because the number of replies are nearly impossible to keep up with; I felt compelled to read after seeing the responses to your post. Your reply to the reactions are total horse crap because is obvious with your tone in this wholly unnecessary reply that you have no interest in talking about this honestly, so don't rough ridin' act do superior when you make an intentionally inflammatory post that only gets emojis for responses.

Now to your post itself. Why do you think I have some chip on my shoulder? It's especially curious given the question you posted this in response to. Does my chip manifest itself when I have the gall to ask what is in the mind of the mighty white man?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
I mean do you have evidence of this or is it just a colloquial anecdote that gets retold a lot like illegal aliens vote for democrats in droves?
Yeah, it's absolutely a thing.  The following is from the Law School Admission Council's website.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law-school/racial-ethnic-minority-applicants

To see this policy in action, check out the following, which is a link to Cornell Law's admissions from last year -- note how the outliers are (self-identified) URMs. 

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

I picked Cornell randomly, but feel free to look at some other schools and I promise you'd find the same thing.

Again, I hold no ill-will towards the practice.  Maybe it's a little unfair, but I get why it exists.  I also get why it might piss off some applicants.  But I would think it'd be pretty impolite for one of those miffed applicants to demand that a black law student admit her admissions advantage in public. 

Even if it were true doesn't the need to artificially tip the scales show that there are built in historical, systematic advantages for the majority?
Absolutely.  All I'm saying is that I just wonder if demanding people publicly acknowledge their white male privilege is a worthwhile exercise. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:08:39 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
Is the magnitude of white privilege subject to exponential decay over time?

Of course man but most of the relevant movement to this point has been through legislation. I have serious doubts as to how much more that line can move though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
have we talked about how you're supposed to call the cops on hurtful speech now at mizzou?

Who cares man, don't get lost in the weeds

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
have we talked about how you're supposed to call the cops on hurtful speech now at mizzou?

Who cares man, don't get lost in the weeds
That probably deserves its own thread.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
Guys don't get caught in the weeds discussing a potential Orwellian Police State.   Stay on point.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:29 PM »
Oh man kietz is just going off on an angry white man rant.  Epic.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Is the magnitude of white privilege subject to exponential decay over time?

Of course man but most of the relevant movement to this point has been through legislation. I have serious doubts as to how much more that line can move though.

Do you think it's worthwhile to create legislation that makes things more difficult for white men, and therefore more advantageous for minorities, until the line is moved to where you think it should be? 

And once the line gets there, are those legislative actions repealed and all is forgiven?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just am curious of the end-game.  I would really hate it if we as a society were still talking about this crap in a hundred years (as in I wish it weren't an issue).