Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93852 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:41 PM »
Clearly, black students at mizzou got the impression that the system president was one of the outliers from all americans that understand that they have been and/or are treated unequally.  Being just a little more empathetic than he was was when presented with their concerns (pre-hunger strike, campouts, pinkel, etc.) would've prevented them from getting that vibe.

yeah, maybe.  who knows.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
Clearly, black students at mizzou got the impression that the system president was one of the outliers from all americans that understand that they have been and/or are treated unequally.  Being just a little more empathetic than he was was when presented with their concerns (pre-hunger strike, campouts, pinkel, etc.) would've prevented them from getting that vibe.

yeah, maybe.  who knows.

Regardless, check out the football board.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »
Regardless, check out the football board.

:surprised:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
Regardless of the misuse of the word "privilege" for the concept, acknowledging that the concept is a reality could make those for whom society isn't functioning properly at least feel like they're not talking to a wall, and would then get the meaningful communication going to get society functioning properly for everyone.

the idea that black americans, as well as many other american minority groups have been denied access to equally participate in american society is pretty well accepted and understood by almost all americans. 

However, the fact that systematic disadvantages still exist is not well accepted and understood.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
However, the fact that systematic disadvantages still exist is not well accepted and understood.

i think i said that.  in the sentence following the one you quoted.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 10, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Clay Travis on with Soren, saying hunger strike was not a hunger strike

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2015, 01:36:57 PM »
Are Patriot riders violating the first amendment?

ROAD RULES

If protesters arrive at a funeral, riders are instructed not to interact with them. Instead, they form a physical barrier around the protesters with American flags so grieving families won’t see any offensive signs.

If the protesters get too loud, the bikers sing patriotic songs or rev parked motorcycles to mask demonstrators’ shouts.

While part of Phelps’ legacy is abrasive rhetoric, his interpretation of the First Amendment also set legal precedents for nonviolent protests and demonstrations.

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 8-1 in favor of Westboro after the father of a Marine killed in Iraq sued the church for protesting at the funeral. The court ruled that even “hurtful” speech is protected by the First Amendment. As a parallel, the Patriot Guard Riders use the same freedom of speech clause to rev their engines.

“To be fair, it’s true we grew out in response of a protest group. However that was back in 2005,” Smart says.

The Patriot Guard “quickly learned,” Smart says, “there is something really powerful in the gathering of Americans who simply stand and hold flags and let the family know they are not alone.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/patriot-608433-guard-riders.html

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

:lol: Why's it hurt you to just admit it?! Well it doesn't necessarily exist for all whites or all males for starters, and it's also pretty biggoted to focus only on "white" and "male" and "white male" privilege when all sorts of other privileges abound. But more importantly, can "you black people" tell me why it's so important to you for "white male privilege" to be acknowledged? How does that help you in any way than to help ratchet up that chip on your shoulder a few more notches?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

:lol: Why's it hurt you to just admit it?! Well it doesn't necessarily exist for all whites or all males for starters, and it's also pretty biggoted to focus only on "white" and "male" and "white male" privilege when all sorts of other privileges abound. But more importantly, can "you black people" tell me why it's so important to you for "white male privilege" to be acknowledged? How does that help you in any way than to help ratchet up that chip on your shoulder a few more notches?

jeez luiz, this guy

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
:sdeek:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »
Good grief
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »

I'm happy to admit I've been blessed in life by things that I had no control over. Solid parents, access to education, safe home environment

All of these "privileges" are a hell of a lot more important than being white, btw.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
jeez luiz, this guy

:sdeek:

Good grief

An excellent and succinct sample of intellectually bankrupt responses. "Shut up, he explained."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »

ROAD RULES

If protesters arrive at a funeral, riders are instructed not to interact with them. Instead, they form a physical barrier around the protesters with American flags so grieving families won’t see any offensive signs.

If the protesters get too loud, the bikers sing patriotic songs or rev parked motorcycles to mask demonstrators’ shouts.

While part of Phelps’ legacy is abrasive rhetoric, his interpretation of the First Amendment also set legal precedents for nonviolent protests and demonstrations.

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 8-1 in favor of Westboro after the father of a Marine killed in Iraq sued the church for protesting at the funeral. The court ruled that even “hurtful” speech is protected by the First Amendment. As a parallel, the Patriot Guard Riders use the same freedom of speech clause to rev their engines.

“To be fair, it’s true we grew out in response of a protest group. However that was back in 2005,” Smart says.

The Patriot Guard “quickly learned,” Smart says, “there is something really powerful in the gathering of Americans who simply stand and hold flags and let the family know they are not alone.”

How would they be violating the first amendment?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »

ROAD RULES

denying phelps access to public property

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
So, if the perception is that issues aren't being acted on fast enough that equals institutional racism?   When an institution of higher learning suspends a kid pending an investigation, because they just didn't throw the kid out of school, is that "institutional racism" is that not acting quickly enough? 

For about the fifth time, what were these people doing, besides apparently just collecting a pay check??

https://equity.missouri.edu/about/staff.php

http://cdi.missouri.edu/staff/

I guess I'm still at a complete loss as to what an administration at a school is supposed to do when they're dealing with allegations against unknown people.   

So basically fired for appearing to be insensitive, appearing to lack outrage?  So in essence reaffirming the takeover at institutions of higher learning of the required, no,  demanded pathological emotional response, rather then the effective thinking and process response?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »

Because it's complete bullshit and it's a cop out for deeper underlying issues which should be of greater focus.  I can also provide a million examples of it not existing and white people overcoming obstacles to achieve success, such as my dad who was born in a one pump gas station that my grandparents owned in a small rural town because they couldn't afford to go to the hospital. 

Asian-Americans earn more money and have a lower unemployment rate then any other demographic group.  So do you believe there is an asian privilege in America?

I didn't see this before as I wading through pages of bullshit. But yes, this.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

ROAD RULES

Phelps still has access. They still show up and protest.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

Because it's complete bullshit and it's a cop out for deeper underlying issues which should be of greater focus.  I can also provide a million examples of it not existing and white people overcoming obstacles to achieve success, such as my dad who was born in a one pump gas station that my grandparents owned in a small rural town because they couldn't afford to go to the hospital. 

Asian-Americans earn more money and have a lower unemployment rate then any other demographic group.  So do you believe there is an asian privilege in America?

Both of you honestly believe it's not easier to be white in the country than black? Also LOL at the cliche story about coming from nothing. Since the middle class wasn't really developed until the middle of the 20th century most people came from what in today's standards were very poor roots.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:13 PM »

ROAD RULES

I think it would be assault if the bikers removed them from the premises or touched them.  But forming a stationary barrier is okay.  The students assaulted the journalist by moving into him. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 10, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
I guess I'm still at a complete loss as to what an administration at a school is supposed to do when they're dealing with allegations against unknown people.

One word: EMPATHY. I think this means group hugs, "dialoguing" (but be careful not to offend), "safe spaces," holding a few of those rallies where people wiggle their fingers in the air to encourage silence, and similar moon-battery. At least, that's what I've gleaned so far. I've asked several times ITT thread what, exactly, the prez should have done and I haven't gotten anything specific except "hire more black people."

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
Here is a crazy thought. Maybe the fact that during the time period most of the middle class was forming in our country, blacks were being segratated. Could that have possibly made it harder for blacks to "work" their way up? Who knows. I'm just spitballing here.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Is the magnitude of white privilege subject to exponential decay over time?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »

One word: EMPATHY. I think this means group hugs, "dialoguing" (but be careful not to offend), "safe spaces," holding a few of those rallies where people wiggle their fingers in the air to encourage silence, and similar moon-battery. At least, that's what I've gleaned so far. I've asked several times ITT thread what, exactly, the prez should have done and I haven't gotten anything specific except "hire more black people."

that's not what empathy means.  people should be more precise with language.  and people should try to understand what words mean.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 10, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »

Both of you honestly believe it's not easier to be white in the country than black? Also LOL at the cliche story about coming from nothing. Since the middle class wasn't really developed until the middle of the 20th century most people came from what in today's standards were very poor roots.

I was going to remind people that there will be no boot strapping anecdotalism from (white) people in this thread.