Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 94338 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
Binge privilege  :curse:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
You guys have no idea what the struggle is like, to be a tall, blue eyed, handsome, white male, from the suburbs. If only you guys could walk in my shoes one day.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Is Eudora the suburbs? Seems pretty small towny

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 10, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
Is Eudora the suburbs? Seems pretty small towny
It kinda counts. I mean, I moved around a lot, so technically i'm from Manhattan, but went to school in trash Eudora. If Desoto/mill valley counts, Eudora counts.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 10, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
FWIW, I saw that CS1950 released a pamphlet today urging protestors to treat media with respect.  good on them for that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 10, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

I think life can be hard (work, bills, kids, keeping a marriage together, etc) and most people end up failing in some way or the other or have personal shortcomings in certain ways and failing even when the deck is stacked in your favor is not something that most would want to admit or even really spend time trying to think about. it's like a double fail.

Thank you. I'm certainly not speaking for all black people but for me acknowledgment of white privilege is a matter of empathy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 10, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »
admitting and acknowledging it does not undercut any personal accomplishes you've obtained in your life. those are still your accomplishments and you should still be proud of them (if they give you pride). it also doesn't have to be the most significant privilege for it to be a privilege. one of my biggest privileges was being born and raised in a college town where students were expected to go to college.

would I have gone to college if I grew up in Abilene? maybe, but the odds would have been smaller.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 10, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.
I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

What universities are black students getting privilege with admissions criteria? It certainly isn't at Mizzou or K-State.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »

i haven't read further in the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not being irrelevant.

it's stupid because the supposed "privilege" is mostly that American society functions more or less as it should for white people (i kinda reject the male part as irrelevant and/or misleading, or at a minimum different in nature) and less well for many non-white people.  the construct of society functioning properly as a privilege is backwards.  society should function for everyone.  what is identified as privilege is not privilege, it is the baseline.  groups deprived of this level of function are being repressed.

there are other elements of caught up in the construct of "white privilege" that are really separate (correlated, but nonetheless separate) issues.  the privileges of inherited wealth, class, etc.

another reason it's stupid, or at least useless, is that it is a conversation that leads nowhere.  "acknowledge your white privilege".  "i've been very fortunate, thanks."  - yay, issue resolved?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #509 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »
 "white male privilege" is nothing but a racist stereotype.  It's no different than asians are good at math. And functionally the same as Hispanics are lazy and blacks are dumb. Beyond that, black letter "privileges" exclusively avaialble to women and minorities are prevalent and pervasive in academia and the work force. They exist to offset this unquantifiable privilege, because two inequalities apparently equate to not enough progress for equality.

I cant believe this hate and anger is being pushed/pimped in public universities, ironically by people who are clamoring for equality and a society blind to color, creed, gender, etc.

It's encouraging that these people appear to be eating their own, and the effects are largely confined to campus. I would imagine constituencies will continue to exercise their economic power and elect people who will direct resources away from these institutions.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 10, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
admitting and acknowledging it does not undercut any personal accomplishes you've obtained in your life. those are still your accomplishments and you should still be proud of them (if they give you pride). it also doesn't have to be the most significant privilege for it to be a privilege. one of my biggest privileges was being born and raised in a college town where students were expected to go to college.

would I have gone to college if I grew up in Abilene? maybe, but the odds would have been smaller.
I think it undercuts things to some degree.  The way I perceive it is, "yes i accomplished these things, but one of the reasons i did was because i had a bit of an advantage over some other people." Granted, that's probably true in a lot of situations (and absolutely true for me personally), but I can understand why people may not want to state that -- i think it could be embarrassing for some people -- especially for the reasons you mentioned in your prior post.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 10, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
Every time the term "white male privilege" is used I'm going to have to add another mark to micro-aggression tally of this thread.   It's really piling up.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 10, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

What universities are black students getting privilege with admissions criteria? It certainly isn't at Mizzou or K-State.
I can only speak for my experience, but at least with law school admissions, it is well known that "underrepresented minorities" get into schools with worse credentials than those who aren't "URMs."  Mind you, i have no problem with the preferential treatment, as i think it's important for underrepresented minority races to have members of their race attend law school and be able to shape the policies of tomorrow, but that advantage absolutely exists.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
Nobody starts in the same place. To try and rectify society so that they do is literally the craziest dumbest least worthwhile endeavor imaginable. If you really think all white males start slightly higher than everyone else, you are a racist, ignorant, jealous sad person who probably wishes you were born white.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
Here's another secret, not all black people are descendants of slaves, and not all white people are descendants of slave owners.  And guess what, even if they were it's not the plight or fault of the respective descendant.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:44 PM »
Lol

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »

i haven't read further in the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not being irrelevant.

it's stupid because the supposed "privilege" is mostly that American society functions more or less as it should for white people (i kinda reject the male part as irrelevant and/or misleading, or at a minimum different in nature) and less well for many non-white people.  the construct of society functioning properly as a privilege is backwards.  society should function for everyone.  what is identified as privilege is not privilege, it is the baseline.  groups deprived of this level of function are being repressed.

there are other elements of caught up in the construct of "white privilege" that are really separate (correlated, but nonetheless separate) issues.  the privileges of inherited wealth, class, etc.

another reason it's stupid, or at least useless, is that it is a conversation that leads nowhere.  "acknowledge your white privilege".  "i've been very fortunate, thanks."  - yay, issue resolved?

Regardless of the misuse of the word "privilege" for the concept, acknowledging that the concept is a reality could make those for whom society isn't functioning properly at least feel like they're not talking to a wall, and would then get the meaningful communication going to get society functioning properly for everyone.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 10, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »

Regardless of the misuse of the word "privilege" for the concept, acknowledging that the concept is a reality could make those for whom society isn't functioning properly at least feel like they're not talking to a wall, and would then get the meaningful communication going to get society functioning properly for everyone.

Interesting premise considering the subject matter of the thread.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
I think this is as good a place as any to post this.   Fantastic reading and I probably shouldn't espouse campus equity offices as much as I have if this is the kind of hyper PC witch hunt they're they're going to engage in.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/287396022/Defense-Submitted-by-R-O-Lopez-on-June-17-2015-in-matter-of-discrimination-charges

Online Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 10, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »

I was going to make this same point.  It is not privilege, it is existing in society with barriers due to gender and race removed.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »

the idea that black americans, as well as many other american minority groups have been denied access to equally participate in american society is pretty well accepted and understood by almost all americans.  there is a fair bit of disagreement on how much that inequality continues into the present day and the extent that government bodies participate in perpetuating inequality and if and how they should attempt to counteract that inequality.  i don't see how redefining lack of persecution as privilege alters the latter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 10, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
FWIW, I saw that CS1950 released a pamphlet today urging protestors to treat media with respect.  good on them for that.

Ya kudos for telling people to respect people, as if they weren't supposed to do that anyway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
I. we demand that the University of Missouri system president, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology for the Concerned Students 1–9 – 5–0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1–9 – 5–0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and Leslie refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department use excessive force with demonstrators.

Part of this is ridiculous.  So the president is supposed to just get up and say "hey guys sorry for being white and for all the privilege's it's brought me.  I totally go to where I am because of my skin color and not hard work" 

Also asking him to recognize what we know exists 'systems of oppression' at some level in every college is stupid.  What's next every white university is supposed to apologize for their 'white male privilege?  There's other demands that are poorly worded too, this one just stands out the most.

Those terms were supposed to be negotiated, he didn't have to agree to do that to appease the group.

Also I completely disagree with the bolded part for a couple of reasons. One saying that this exists at some level at every college is a cop out, and frankly isn't relevant to the situation at Missouri. What do you want them to say, "oh well this happens everywhere so we shouldn't force someone to acknowledge the problems we're having here." Secondly, it is important for the president to acknowledge that these things exist so that people can acknowledge that the issue exists. The white president vocally acknowledging these issues carries much more weight than black students talking about it.  People tend to marginalize the viewpoints of black people talking about what they are experiencing. It's amazing how some people are experts on others experienced.

I read and thought about your post and I don't think it's a cop out because it's true.  And I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, so even though it isn't relevant to Missouri it's relevant to society.  I'm pretty sure everyone already knows it exists too so the president's acknowledgement of the obvious isn't necessary.  It also could potentially open a floodgate of protests at universities across the country demanding the same of their president.

I'm telling you that not "everyone knows it exists." I'm also certain that this wouldn't lead to a flood of protests because institutional racism isn't a problem everywhere.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 10, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »

the idea that black americans, as well as many other american minority groups have been denied access to equally participate in american society is pretty well accepted and understood by almost all americans.  there is a fair bit of disagreement on how much that inequality continues into the present day and the extent that government bodies participate in perpetuating inequality and if and how they should attempt to counteract that inequality.  i don't see how redefining lack of persecution as privilege alters the latter.

I agree that privilege is the wrong word for being treated properly in society.

Clearly, black students at mizzou got the impression that the system president was one of the outliers from all americans that understand that they have been and/or are treated unequally.  Being just a little more empathetic than he was was when presented with their concerns (pre-hunger strike, campouts, pinkel, etc.) would've prevented them from getting that vibe.