Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93842 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
The funniest/saddest thing about the "collective" attacks against "institutional" or "systemic" racism or prejudice is that the people advocating against it want the masses to understand and agree with "the movement" while being simultaneously told they cannot actually understand what "the movement" is or is about.  It's rampant in this thread.

Yay, completely making crap up! Same script, different topic.

It is an observation and self evident in this thread and others in the pit. The entire sensitivity movement, which entails per se slander and libel against a targeted public figure, is premised upon perceived and unquantifiable injustices caused by institutions under the control of numerous people (e.g., government, corporations or universities). Nobody can ever know what the standard is or should be, because it is forever defined as "not that".

I cannot believe that the people targeted have almost universally decided to back down and quit, rather than stand up for themselves. I know you think this is progress, and it may very well be, but the method used to achieve this result is fundamentally immoral and ripe for abuse, which is terrifying from a societal standpoint.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
What should the actions have been? cRusty. 

Oh, resign

well, I'm guessing if he had made steps to meet any of the six demands not related to Wolfe apologizing/resigning, he would still be president.

I. we demand that the University of Missouri system president, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology for the Concerned Students 1–9 – 5–0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1–9 – 5–0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and Leslie refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department use excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to the UM system policies must be established to have all future UM president and Chancellor positions be selected by collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that by the academic year 2017–2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus wide to 10%.

V. We demand that the University of Missouri compose a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalize students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding for resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals; particularly those of color, boosting the mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VII. We demand at the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices center on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting out reach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility.

That is too rough ridin' crazy to be real. If it is, it rightfully belonged in the trash. Academia is becoming so worthless.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 09, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
The funniest/saddest thing about the "collective" attacks against "institutional" or "systemic" racism or prejudice is that the people advocating against it want the masses to understand and agree with "the movement" while being simultaneously told they cannot actually understand what "the movement" is or is about.  It's rampant in this thread.

It is an observation and self evident in this thread and others in the pit. The entire sensitivity movement, which entails per se slander and libel against a targeted public figure, is premised upon perceived and unquantifiable injustices caused by institutions under the control of numerous people (e.g., government, corporations or universities). Nobody can ever know what the standard is or should be, because it is forever defined as "not that".

I cannot believe that the people targeted have almost universally decided to back down and quit, rather than stand up for themselves. I know you think this is progress, and it may very well be, but the method used to achieve this result is fundamentally immoral and ripe for abuse, which is terrifying from a societal standpoint.

he quit because he did a bad job and his bosses told him to quit. that's pretty simple. you seem to think that underperforming people in this country should just be allowed to work with no repercussions which is, sad really.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 09, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »

Don't you think that belittles the while situation just a little too much?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »

I am particularly enjoying the protesters attempts to thwart the media which is a de facto attack on freedom of the press.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 09, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
Justice through economic blackmail = progress.          Yay!
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
holy crap, tj carpenter is dreamy af

yeah he is, and he knows it. he's a little crap head, but i think we would be pretty good buds IRL.

He is the worst person on KC sports radio by a million miles

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »

Oh, resign

well, I'm guessing if he had made steps to meet any of the six demands not related to Wolfe apologizing/resigning, he would still be president.

That is too rough ridin' crazy to be real. If it is, it rightfully belonged in the trash. Academia is becoming so worthless.

No idea what III is, V-VII seem like good ideas, but the others seem sort of outrageous.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 09, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »
nwmsu, cmsu, msu tho

Is one of those the one in springfield?  I know that one's pretty racist. 

And I meant as far as wanting to have the big school experience.  Yeah, kansas has wsu and fhsu and stuff, but nobody wants to go there for a real "college experience."

yeah you are probably right. missouri state (in springfield) has 24k undergrad though, but i still don't think it applies to what you are referring to

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 09, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Sister went to mo st.  Can confirm full of rednecks and st Louis kids.

Basically a commuter school

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 09, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »

Oh, resign

No idea what III is, V-VII seem like good ideas, but the others seem sort of outrageous.

IV-VII sound expensive, arbitrary and unlikely to do anything other than foster equivalent crusades.

Agreed the others seem absurd.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 09, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
I didn't realize there were also demands from graduate students at MU

No graduate students employees be paid below the individual poverty line.
    All graduate student employees receive full tuition waivers.
    A health care plan for the full term of all graduate students’ employment.
    “Immediate action” from the university to aid international students affected by the loss of health insurance.
    More graduate student housing that is also affordable.
    A reinstatement of on-campus, university-sponsored childcare facilities the graduate students could use.
    A waiver of “supplemental fees” charged to graduate student employees.

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/11/4/mizzou-fails-fully-meet-demands/

Also, here were the 1969 demands (demand III in the current list):

The LBC issues a letter to Chancellor Schwada demanding campus changes that included an increase in Black faculty, the implementation of a Black Studies program, the establishment of a Black culture center, the dedicating of a campus building to a Black leader, periodically promoting Black service staff and employees, actively recruiting Black students, setting aside scholarships and implementing tutoring for Black students, having an annual "Black Week," increasing the number of Black cheerleaders and pom pom girls, and creating an office for the LBC.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 09, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
How opportunistic.

The nine deans met on Oct. 9 and on Oct. 13 met with Wolfe, Loftin and Provost Garnett Stokes to express their concerns, according to the letter.

“The issues we raised in those meetings have continued to deteriorate into a campus crisis that demands immediate and decisive action,” they wrote. “It is the Chancellor’s responsibility as the Chief Executive Officer of the campus to effectively address these campus issues.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article43827399.html

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 09, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
How opportunistic.

The nine deans met on Oct. 9 and on Oct. 13 met with Wolfe, Loftin and Provost Garnett Stokes to express their concerns, according to the letter.

“The issues we raised in those meetings have continued to deteriorate into a campus crisis that demands immediate and decisive action,” they wrote. “It is the Chancellor’s responsibility as the Chief Executive Officer of the campus to effectively address these campus issues.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article43827399.html

What were the 9 admin and staffers with Jurist Doctorates and other walls full of degrees and certifications in the Chancellor Created Office of Equity doing?   

I just watched a disgusting video from Yale where student protesters determined that only their speech was to be free, anyone else who disagreed with them was not entitled to their viewpoint, was not entitled to their freedom of speech and in fact must . . . resign if they were on the faculty and had the audacity to point out that if such censure and ominous demands at every perceived slight were to be met with resignations and firings that it was indeed a very slippery slope.    Part of it was brought about by what?  Another allegation that had not been verified as fact in any way.  Mob rule.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 09, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »
The Yale thing is beyond rediculous, like seriously grow up and talk with someone who doesn't agree with you.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 09, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
Sister went to mo st.  Can confirm full of rednecks and st Louis kids.

Basically a commuter school

This guy I worked with during a summer in kc invited Reggie and I to come pak there, and then later told me I'd have to figure out a way to not bring Reggie because he was black and it wouldn't go well for him there. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 09, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
which yale thing are we talking about? I think someone mentioned it but maybe it deserves a separate thread.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 09, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/bustedcoverage/status/663867382797115392

I can't figure out the "no media" part of all this. What is the beef?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 09, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
which yale thing are we talking about? I think someone mentioned it but maybe it deserves a separate thread.

SAE white girls only party?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »

he quit because he did a bad job and his bosses told him to quit. that's pretty simple. you seem to think that underperforming people in this country should just be allowed to work with no repercussions which is, sad really.

When your "bosses" are adolescents throwing temper tantrums, that argument kinda goes out the window.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 09, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
In “The Coddling of the American Mind,” Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt argued that too many college students engage in “catastrophizing,” which is to say, turning common events into nightmarish trials or claiming that easily bearable events are too awful to bear. After citing examples, they concluded, “smart people do, in fact, overreact to innocuous speech, make mountains out of molehills, and seek punishment for anyone whose words make anyone else feel uncomfortable.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

According to the Washington Post, “several students in Silliman said they cannot bear to live in the college anymore.” These are young people who live in safe, heated buildings with two Steinway grand pianos, an indoor basketball court, a courtyard with hammocks and picnic tables, a computer lab, a dance studio, a gym, a movie theater, a film editing lab, billiard tables, an art gallery, and four music practice rooms. But they can’t bear this setting that millions of people would risk their lives to inhabit because one woman wrote an email that hurt their feelings?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Some recent campus actions border on the surreal. In April, at Brandeis University, the Asian American student association sought to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asians through an installation on the steps of an academic hall. The installation gave examples of microaggressions such as “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.” But a backlash arose among other Asian American students, who felt that the display itself was a microaggression. The association removed the installation, and its president wrote an e-mail to the entire student body apologizing to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions.”

This new climate is slowly being institutionalized, and is affecting what can be said in the classroom, even as a basis for discussion. During the 2014–15 school year, for instance, the deans and department chairs at the 10 University of California system schools were presented by administrators at faculty leader-training sessions with examples of microaggressions. The list of offensive statements included: “America is the land of opportunity” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job.

But vindictive protectiveness teaches students to think in a very different way. It prepares them poorly for professional life, which often demands intellectual engagement with people and ideas one might find uncongenial or wrong. The harm may be more immediate, too. A campus culture devoted to policing speech and punishing speakers is likely to engender patterns of thought that are surprisingly similar to those long identified by cognitive behavioral therapists as causes of depression and anxiety. The new protectiveness may be teaching students to think pathologicall
y.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 09, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »

When your "bosses" are adolescents throwing temper tantrums, that argument kinda goes out the window.

His bosses are the governor and the board of curators and he resigned ten minutes after his meeting with them. You can do the math on that. I would say that they obviously weren't impressed with the job he's been doing.

Seems like you think people should have lifetime contracts but sorry bub, that's not how the real world works. In the real world people have to perform or run the risk of losing their job. This guy sucked, he got fired/resigned.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »

In “The Coddling of the American Mind,” Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt argued that too many college students engage in “catastrophizing,” which is to say, turning common events into nightmarish trials or claiming that easily bearable events are too awful to bear. After citing examples, they concluded, “smart people do, in fact, overreact to innocuous speech, make mountains out of molehills, and seek punishment for anyone whose words make anyone else feel uncomfortable.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

According to the Washington Post, “several students in Silliman said they cannot bear to live in the college anymore.” These are young people who live in safe, heated buildings with two Steinway grand pianos, an indoor basketball court, a courtyard with hammocks and picnic tables, a computer lab, a dance studio, a gym, a movie theater, a film editing lab, billiard tables, an art gallery, and four music practice rooms. But they can’t bear this setting that millions of people would risk their lives to inhabit because one woman wrote an email that hurt their feelings?

I like Conor's opinions. I don't think this is very comparable to what is happening at Mizzou though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 09, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »

His bosses are the governor and the board of curators and he resigned ten minutes after his meeting with them. You can do the math on that. I would say that they obviously weren't impressed with the job he's been doing.

Seems like you think people should have lifetime contracts but sorry bub, that's not how the real world works. In the real world people have to perform or run the risk of losing their job. This guy sucked, he got fired/resigned.

Or they recognized that someone was going to have to fall on the sword.   It happens you know . . . out there in the "real world".