Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93839 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
It's still odd they don't want the media there. Regardless of how and when the media decided the story was worth pursuing, history has proven the media is often protesters' best friend.

I saw the demand sheet and I definitely get the demands for more black faculty and more money/effort to help marginalized students. I also respect the outrage at racial slurs and actions. While I can see how there can be steps taken to address the former, what can you really do to address the latter?

People have a right to be racist assholes. Unpopular, even hateful, opinions and words aren't illegal.

Media for the most part brings in the need to provide 24 hour news in soundbite form and this issue is a lot more nuanced than that. The mass media for the most part has no interest in what the issues there actually are. I'm sure there are nothing there but people asking about poop swastika's, football, and "the n word."

You read the article that listed the demands yet somehow think that this is a first amendment issue? How is that even possible, that list addressed systemic issues?

I didn't read an article. I just read the list of demands. Those can be addressed, and are what reporters should (and I would assume the good ones are) be asking about. I agree that racial slurs and poop swastika's are the lesser matter even though they will get a lot of the cable news "run." I do think the racial slurs (sans poop) are a first amendment issue, but like you said, they aren't the real issue here.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
The funniest/saddest thing about the "collective" attacks against "institutional" or "systemic" racism or prejudice is that the people advocating against it want the masses to understand and agree with "the movement" while being simultaneously told they cannot actually understand what "the movement" is or is about.  It's rampant in this thread.

I guess if I was a psuedo-intellectual progressive lapdog with a humanities degree, I probably wouldn't see anything wrong with that.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
KSUW-  you never answered my question on whether you believe collective action is ineffective and forcing change.

Sorry, yes, I believe collective action is effective at forcing change. That was never the issue. The issue is whether such change actually does any good.

I've asked before and I'll ask again. What, specifically, should this president have done differently? Issue some e-mails condemning some alleged racist heckling? What, exactly, would that have accomplished? This seems to be less about achieving actual results and more about just saying words to make people feel better (a common theme with liberal actions). In other words, just more PC bullshit. University administrators should expect college students to behave like adults - not a mob of adolescent middle-schoolers with hurt feelings. Grow the eff up.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
If there's one thing we've found to be true out of all of this, is that, Mizzou definitely belongs in the SEC.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
oh man. so I turn on 810 just now and there's a female student caller. petro asks her what the deal is and what do students want. he's pressing her on specifics. she starts to explain that there were a lot of sexual assaults on campus within the last year and that the university administration didn't appear to make any attempts to make females more safe and then boom he cuts her off so they can get to the "burnt end of the hour question". like omg that just happened.  :lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »
Gotta leave the lights on, Rowdy!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
KSUW-  you never answered my question on whether you believe collective action is ineffective and forcing change.

Sorry, yes, I believe collective action is effective at forcing change. That was never the issue. The issue is whether such change actually does any good.

I've asked before and I'll ask again. What, specifically, should this president have done differently? Issue some e-mails condemning some alleged racist heckling? What, exactly, would that have accomplished? This seems to be less about achieving actual results and more about just saying words to make people feel better (a common theme with liberal actions). In other words, just more PC bullshit. University administrators should expect college students to behave like adults - not a mob of adolescent middle-schoolers with hurt feelings. Grow the eff up.

There are very real things that could be accomplished regarding hiring of minority staff, supporting/expanding programs to aid marginalized students, etc. Agree with you on the words tho.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
TJ Moe just went off on 610 Sports. Like, he's super pissed they fired the president over this.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »

seems to me like the president of a university should somewhat listen to the students paying/choosing to go there. this guy not only didn't listen, but he was an bad person about it so they forced him to quit in an attempt to bring in someone more competent. it all seems pretty reasonable to me and the take home lesson here for any adults on the board is that if you're going to be bad at your job, you should at least be polite.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »

seems to me like the president of a university should somewhat listen to the students paying/choosing to go there. this guy not only didn't listen, but he was an bad person about it so they forced him to quit in an attempt to bring in someone more competent. it all seems pretty reasonable to me and the take home lesson here for any adults on the board is that if you're going to be bad at your job, you should at least be polite.

I asked for specific things the president should have done, and so far I've got (1) he should have "somewhat listened" and (2) he shouldn't have been "an bad person."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »
A man just lost his job, be excited for change and move on, but this crap...

https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/663782321716228096

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »

I asked for specific things the president should have done, and so far I've got (1) he should have "somewhat listened" and (2) he shouldn't have been "an bad person."

and I just gave you two pretty specific ones. if you need more, maybe you should say so. I'm not a mind reader.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
I guess the MU prez should have taken a page from the Yale prez, who just bent the knee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/06/yales-president-tells-black-students-we-failed-you/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_evening

NEW HAVEN, CONN. — In a closed-door meeting Thursday night, Yale University’s president apologized to a large group of minority students for the school’s failure to make them feel safe on campus.

“We failed you,” Peter Salovey, a psychologist, told more than 40 students gathered in the ornate room where the Yale Corporation meets, on the top floor of the president’s office.

“I think we have to be a better university. I think we have to do a better job,” he said, according to several students in the room who were taking notes. The four-hour meeting concluded a dramatic day on this Ivy League campus, as students confronted administrators about a series of recent events that have laid bare long-simmering racial tensions at the elite school.

The tensions briefly flared up in September over names and symbols around campus that seemed to reference slavery. But they exploded at the center of campus on Thursday afternoon, when hundreds of students encircled Jonathan Holloway, the first black dean of Yale College, outside of the main library and demanded to know why he had not communicated with the college community about allegations within the past week that a university fraternity chapter had turned away black women from a party the week before.

They denounced, too, the university’s handling of a controversy involving an e-mail from the associate master of Silliman College, one of Yale’s 12 undergraduate residential communities, that urged students not to take offense at insensitive Halloween costumes. That message came in response to a college-wide notice asking students to think about the way their costumes might be perceived by others and to avoid offensive cultural depictions, such as “blackface” and “feathered headdresses.”

This is what we've come to in American universities. They have so coddled these entitled little babies that they're now apologizing for suggesting that they not lose their collective crap over an offensive Halloween costume.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »

Amazingly, even that minimal of an effort, and even if he was #acting while doing so, would've been a relatively good start.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
A man just lost his job, be excited for change and move on, but this crap...

https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/663782321716228096

College students, mind you.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »

Amazingly, even that minimal of an effort, and even if he was #acting while doing so, would've been a relatively good start.

And would have accomplished exactly nothing, but it would have made the zealots feel better. These universities are not helping their students by coddling them. They need to help them grow up. The real world (if they ever make it there) is going to kick them in the face.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
I guess the MU prez should have taken a page from the Yale prez, who just bent the knee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/06/yales-president-tells-black-students-we-failed-you/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_evening

NEW HAVEN, CONN. — In a closed-door meeting Thursday night, Yale University’s president apologized to a large group of minority students for the school’s failure to make them feel safe on campus.

“We failed you,” Peter Salovey, a psychologist, told more than 40 students gathered in the ornate room where the Yale Corporation meets, on the top floor of the president’s office.

“I think we have to be a better university. I think we have to do a better job,” he said, according to several students in the room who were taking notes. The four-hour meeting concluded a dramatic day on this Ivy League campus, as students confronted administrators about a series of recent events that have laid bare long-simmering racial tensions at the elite school.

The tensions briefly flared up in September over names and symbols around campus that seemed to reference slavery. But they exploded at the center of campus on Thursday afternoon, when hundreds of students encircled Jonathan Holloway, the first black dean of Yale College, outside of the main library and demanded to know why he had not communicated with the college community about allegations within the past week that a university fraternity chapter had turned away black women from a party the week before.

They denounced, too, the university’s handling of a controversy involving an e-mail from the associate master of Silliman College, one of Yale’s 12 undergraduate residential communities, that urged students not to take offense at insensitive Halloween costumes. That message came in response to a college-wide notice asking students to think about the way their costumes might be perceived by others and to avoid offensive cultural depictions, such as “blackface” and “feathered headdresses.”

This is what we've come to in American universities. They have so coddled these entitled little babies that they're now apologizing for suggesting that they not lose their collective crap over an offensive Halloween costume.

It won't be long until the department stores can't even tell us "Happy Halloween" anymore. JFC, this country is godless and it sucks.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
MIR and the rest of the resident PC jackboots cheer a guy getting fired for not showing enough outrage over mainly alleged racial incidents and other incidents perpetrated by unknown person or persons. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

And would have accomplished exactly nothing, but it would have made the zealots feel better. These universities are not helping their students by coddling them. They need to help them grow up. The real world (if they ever make it there) is going to kick them in the face.

Sorry, "start" is Trimspeak for the beginning of a set of things.  My bad.  Should've made that more clear.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
I think what we've learned is that if you're a minority in America you now have a right to never be offended.  May as well write it into the Constitution.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
Oh, and the age old, "just not responsive enough".   

So weird considering higher public education is a fortress of ProgLib political leanings.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
I think what we've learned is that if you're a minority in America you now have a right to never be offended.  May as well right it into the Constitution.

Clearly
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »

MIR and the rest of the resident PC jackboots cheer a guy getting fired for not showing enough outrage over mainly alleged racial incidents and other incidents perpetrated by unknown person or persons.

I don't get this line of thinking. Is the assumption there is no course of action that will accomplish any positive result?

Course of action by whom?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
The funniest/saddest thing about the "collective" attacks against "institutional" or "systemic" racism or prejudice is that the people advocating against it want the masses to understand and agree with "the movement" while being simultaneously told they cannot actually understand what "the movement" is or is about.  It's rampant in this thread.

Yay, completely making crap up! Same script, different topic.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
Students are the customers, they just got rid of a crappy manager