Author Topic: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?  (Read 129228 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?
« Reply #1275 on: March 07, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
Informative link name
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 07, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »
Republicans give more - and it's not even close....http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/republicans-most-generous-people-in-the-world-democrats-not-so-much

So because people who live in Utah give more than people in other states we're supposed to think that Republicans give more than Democrats, and "It's not even close?" Sounds legit.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 07, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »
Republicans give more - and it's not even close....http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/republicans-most-generous-people-in-the-world-democrats-not-so-much

So because people who live in Utah give more than people in other states we're supposed to think that Republicans give more than Democrats, and "It's not even close?" Sounds legit.

Please feel free to retort with a resource that indicates that Democrats give more than Republicans...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:53 AM »

Please feel free to retort with a resource that indicates that Democrats give more than Republicans...

I would never be stupid enough to assert such a thing. Most people don't disclose their voting predilections when giving to charity.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 08, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »

I would never be stupid enough to assert such a thing. Most people don't disclose their voting predilections when giving to charity.
I've seen this stat before and tend to believe if.  First they do believe that charity, particularly religious charities, should lead the way in social services instead of government.  Second though you have to look at the outgrowth of religious life to other parts of their lives.  Now the money that you might use for entertainment or socialization for many Pubs circles back to their church life, youth group, and now church based sports.  Many churches *demand* 10% from their parishioners in the form of tithing.  A church going pub now has entertainment dollars going to their church, the standard religious tithing, and some cash to prove that their church can do it better than government donation.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:25 AM »
I would bet that a very small amt of ppl actually tithe 10%.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »

I also need a timeline point of clarification, but don't Christians believe Jesus was kicking it before Plato? How would he have any opinion about government?

Not sure if I understand the question, but Plato was way before Jesus. Many people think early Christian authors actually read Plato.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 08, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
I would bet that a very small amt of ppl actually tithe 10%.
Not in Utah. Mormons have to have their finances audited to prove they have tithed enough to get into the temple. (10%)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 08, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
Sure.  If you are going to cherry pick, that would be the best to cherry pick of the 50 states, I would imagine.  I would also imagine mormonism, as well as how strictly they practice, drops as you get a little bit away from the Great Salt Lake.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 08, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Sure.  If you are going to cherry pick, that would be the best to cherry pick of the 50 states, I would imagine.  I would also imagine mormonism, as well as how strictly they practice, drops as you get a little bit away from the Great Salt Lake.

Actually Mormons drop off very little in strictness around the country (and I chose them because I have Mormon in-laws). But that's not really relevant.

The point is, donations to the church are definitely the driving factor in Utah's charitable giving, and I'm guessing it's the same for the states in the deep south with high percentages. (Regardless of political affiliation)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »

I also need a timeline point of clarification, but don't Christians believe Jesus was kicking it before Plato? How would he have any opinion about government?

Not sure if I understand the question, but Plato was way before Jesus. Many people think early Christian authors actually read Plato.

Yeah, Jesus lived within the Roman Empire.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 08, 2016, 08:30:18 AM »
With 7B people on the planet, population control is just the next evolutionary step to preservie the species.

So perhaps instead of giving tax incentives to families per child, we should give life long tax incentives to those who choose to be sterilized. In the long run they will be getting less money out of the government than if there were several more children that came on to the system draining it of resources for 80+ years.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »
How about we don't give tax incentives for either of those

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
How about we don't give tax incentives for either of those

A lot of lower middle class families would have to start paying taxes again. Also, K-S-U's taxes would probably double or something.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm fine with both of those

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: March 08, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Tax incentives for kids makes sense from the govt's perspective.  Future tax payers, etc. Just like it makes sense to subsidize ed as much as possible to max earnings.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »
The government shouldn't be encouraging or discouraging having children though the tax code

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
The government should encourage having boys and discourage having girls through the tax code.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 08, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »
Tax incentives for kids makes sense from the govt's perspective.  Future tax payers, etc. Just like it makes sense to subsidize ed as much as possible to max earnings.

I don't think many kids that are born due to any sort of incentive end up paying taxes when they grow up.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
(Regardless of political affiliation)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 08, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »

Really? I did not know this, it's odd that this was so recent within the context of world history yet there is so much debate about what happened and what didn't.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 08, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »

Really? I did not know this, it's odd that this was so recent within the context of world history yet there is so much debate about what happened and what didn't.

Yeah, he was born in 1 AD. Crucifixion was a Roman punishment.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 08, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

Well, I'm assuming that republicans are more likely to be religious. I could be wrong though. I'm just saying it could make sense.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 08, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »

Well, I'm assuming that republicans are more likely to be religious. I could be wrong though. I'm just saying it could make sense.

I quoted you to affirm your point. The assumption that Republicans are more likely to regularly attend church services is likely correct, so the next assumption that there are more republicans giving in church is reasonable. But many republicans won't concede that it's possible to be a democrat and to attend church. I still contend that the "fact" that Republicans give more is total crap and there's a reason why there's no concrete evidence of it being so.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 08, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

I quoted you to affirm your point. The assumption that Republicans are more likely to regularly attend church services is likely correct, so the next assumption that there are more republicans giving in church is reasonable. But many republicans won't concede that it's possible to be a democrat and to attend church. I still contend that the "fact" that Republicans give more is total crap and there's a reason why there's no concrete evidence of it being so.

Don't forget to consider that Republicans are also on the average much better off than Democrats and therefore have the means to even be able to give charitably.