Author Topic: EXTREME FOOTBALL INSIDER TIDBITS!  (Read 187913 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: EXTREME FOOTBALL INSIDER TIDBITS!
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
I'm rough ridin' pissed too
emaw

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
I'm getting really tired of people talking about the playbook with Banks.  Not you, obviously, but people like Fitz.

Look, you can have two guys (Bazooka and Ertz) who have a sub-basement floor and a low ceiling, or you can have two guys (Banks and Delton) who have a low floor and a high ceiling due to their athletic ability.  They can simply do things that the returning guys can't.

Knowing the damn playbook isn't going to make Hubener throw the ball into the right zip code or prevent Ertz from looking like he's throwing lawn darts out there.  You can run the same stinking playbook with all of them, and I'd bet anyone $100 bucks we'd do better with Banks or Delton because of what they can actually do with the damn ball.

Jesus Christ.  It's football.  It's not neurosurgery.  Give fast guy ball.  Hit people.  Try not to be hit.

It's infuriating.

i don't disagree with what you're saying. but can you blame people for mentioning the playbook? we've seen this before. Marc Dunn starting the season over Ell in '02 until Ell won over with his obvious better playmaking ability, Waters starting over Sams in '13 with Sams being the obvious bigger threat. it's not that people WANT Hubener/Ertz over Banks/Delton (some do, i'm sure) but it's just the reality of what is probably going to happen.

i would be surprised if anyone but Ertz starts the season at this point. (i thought it was going to be hubener but apparently he has dropped off this offseason) and i would REALLY be surprised if Ertz ended the season our starter. we will go stagnant with Ertz at some point and a backup will come in and provide a spark because they actually have the ability to make big plays and stretch a defense. it feels so predictable and that is frustrating.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
I'm getting really tired of people talking about the playbook with Banks.  Not you, obviously, but people like Fitz.

Look, you can have two guys (Bazooka and Ertz) who have a sub-basement floor and a low ceiling, or you can have two guys (Banks and Delton) who have a low floor and a high ceiling due to their athletic ability.  They can simply do things that the returning guys can't.

Knowing the damn playbook isn't going to make Hubener throw the ball into the right zip code or prevent Ertz from looking like he's throwing lawn darts out there.  You can run the same stinking playbook with all of them, and I'd bet anyone $100 bucks we'd do better with Banks or Delton because of what they can actually do with the damn ball.

Jesus Christ.  It's football.  It's not neurosurgery.  Give fast guy ball.  Hit people.  Try not to be hit.

It's infuriating.

i don't disagree with what you're saying. but can you blame people for mentioning the playbook? we've seen this before. Marc Dunn starting the season over Ell in '02 until Ell won over with his obvious better playmaking ability, Waters starting over Sams in '13 with Sams being the obvious bigger threat. it's not that people WANT Hubener/Ertz over Banks/Delton (some do, i'm sure) but it's just the reality of what is probably going to happen.

i would be surprised if anyone but Ertz starts the season at this point. (i thought it was going to be hubener but apparently he has dropped off this offseason) and i would REALLY be surprised if Ertz ended the season our starter. we will go stagnant with Ertz at some point and a backup will come in and provide a spark because they actually have the ability to make big plays and stretch a defense. it feels so predictable and that is frustrating.
I totally agree with what you guys are saying.  But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking what if Ertz is or gets good.  He broke the Iowa state high school passing record; this has to indicate he has some talent and may be better then expected.  With what was said about this being the best receiving group our coach has ever had, maybe these guys will surprise too.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
lol at coleman and that best receiving group interview.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:27 AM »
Yea, but it's better than him saying it's the worst.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
Billy Cosh absolutely crushed Maryland state HS records.  Maryland is a lot more populous than Iowa.  How did that turn out?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Yea, but it's better than him saying it's the worst.

katdaddy is always great at keeping me grounded.

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »
I totally agree with what you guys are saying.  But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking what if Ertz is or gets good.  He broke the Iowa state high school passing record; this has to indicate he has some talent and may be better then expected.  With what was said about this being the best receiving group our coach has ever had, maybe these guys will surprise too.   

i would love for Ertz to be good. i've just never been that impressed with him in person, which admittedly hasn't been THAT much.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
hopefully a kid from Frankfort will break the state's passing record this year, that's basically Jesse Ertz

The Big Train

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
TLBL isnt here anymore, if that frankfort kid was here last year it would be a guarantee

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
I thought our coordinators read the defense from the cruise ship and called in the plays from the sidelines.   :dunno:

less so with a qb they feel confident with making checks
Fitz said on 810 that the team won't reduce the playbook for Banks like they did for Bishop because "they're way beyond that now".   :dubious:

Fitz is probably just fitzing up his information. Source probably was talking about how Banks is way beyond dumbing down the playbook. Our media is full of rough riding idiots.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »

It's infuriating.

It is a huge advantage to have a QB that understands the system.  This isn't Pop Warner.

Banks and Delton are very athletic, no doubt.  But I think you short sell the running ability of both Hubes and Ertz.  Hubes is a hoss and looked good running the football last year.  Ertz is fast. 

I just love that we have four options.  We have been relatively lucky on QB injuries, considering how we use them.  With four options, we can run our QB's more often, knowing that we have options if they get hurt.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »
Billy Cosh absolutely crushed Maryland state HS records.  Maryland is a lot more populous than Iowa.  How did that turn out?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I hope you mic dropped the eff out of this after posting because you should have.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
I kind of get the feeling that Dana is running the show on offense and is using it as an audition to Currie for the HCIW.  Thus we get QBs (Waters, Ertz) who are low risk low reward instead of guys that Snyder would have played back when he was competing for titles (Sams and Banks).  Easier to get the job if you win the games you're supposed to instead of trying to win them all and rough ridin' it up I guess.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
who's going to fan appreciation day on saturday?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
I bet at least one fattyfest trivia champion will be
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
I kind of get the feeling that Dana is running the show on offense and is using it as an audition to Currie for the HCIW.  Thus we get QBs (Waters, Ertz) who are low risk low reward instead of guys that Snyder would have played back when he was competing for titles (Sams and Banks).  Easier to get the job if you win the games you're supposed to instead of trying to win them all and rough ridin' it up I guess.

Everything about this statement is ridiculous.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
who's going to fan appreciation day on saturday?

Robert

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
I wish there was actual tidbits in this thread.  :frown:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
I wish there was actual tidbits in this thread.  :frown:
Yea, it's like trying to pinpoint who farted in a room full of ladies and you're that one guy that they are all looking at. :nono:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
I've heard that Banks has been pleasantly surprising.  It nothing new, but more confirmation, obviously.

I agree with everyone that Ertz probably starts about 4-5 games.  He probably adequately gets us through the three rummies and then struggles at OSU.  Then, at some point in the first half when Ertz can't get us across midfield by somewhere in the second quarter against TCU, Banks probably comes in and gets us going.

Banks probably gets more snaps against OU, and if he does well, he starts, or get the majority of snaps, by Texas. 

Regardless, my gut says that Banks is starting by 11/5 against Baylor and is tabbed to lead us through the stretch run of five games.  With the open week between UT and Baylor, the timing just seems right.  Especially since it's the weakest part of the schedule.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
Pretty good assumption, Panjandrum.

Jesse Ertz reminds me a lot of Allan Evridge.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
I've heard that Banks has been pleasantly surprising.  It nothing new, but more confirmation, obviously.

I agree with everyone that Ertz probably starts about 4-5 games.  He probably adequately gets us through the three rummies and then struggles at OSU.  Then, at some point in the first half when Ertz can't get us across midfield by somewhere in the second quarter against TCU, Banks probably comes in and gets us going.

Banks probably gets more snaps against OU, and if he does well, he starts, or get the majority of snaps, by Texas. 

Regardless, my gut says that Banks is starting by 11/5 against Baylor and is tabbed to lead us through the stretch run of five games.  With the open week between UT and Baylor, the timing just seems right.  Especially since it's the weakest part of the schedule.

Brett and Wally are currently opining that Banks is a needless complication bc he does what Delton does, doesn't look good on tape, and that if he does turn out decent it's most likely in a wildcat role that just stunts Delton's growth by blocking him, thereby leading our prized 2015 recruit to transfer. Good grief.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
Wally is to accurate tidbits  ;) as KU is to safe women.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
there is no way anybody with the name "Ertz" is good at football