Author Topic: The Trump Candidacy  (Read 444287 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #1775 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
The point is that Hillary is more fiscally conservative than Trump would be. I guess Trump is more socially conservative if that means being a racist and torturing folks.
I think "Hillary is more fiscally conservative than Trump" is a pretty bold take.

We're defining "more fiscally conservative" as spending less money, right?
That, and lowering taxes.

I think Trump's ideas are ludicrous and obscene and (most importantly) unclear.  That said, saying "I'm going to seriously cut government waste" signals to a lot of people that he plans on cutting more than enough to offset the cost of the wall and whatever other dumbass policy he plans to enact.  This is one of the many frustrating aspects about discussing Trump - discussing him anything beyond "he'd be embarrassing and dangerous to have as a president" is near impossible, because everything he says is so general. 

That said, I do think he would cut government spending more than Hillary would.

The thing is, he has given specific examples of things he wants to increase spending on. Has Hillary? I agree that tax cuts need to be considered, and I'm not sure how heavily they should be weighed. I expect him to increase spending by more than he cuts taxes, though. I think it's common sense that he ends up spending more than Hillary. Military expansion, 1000+ mile walls, and increased surveillance on US citizens cost a lot of money. If you subtract a potential tax cut off of his spending increase, you might fall somewhere below Hillary, but you'd probably have to multiply the tax cut by something.
Well, he also says he wants to gut things like the EPA and Department of Education so, who really knows.  Not me, because I'm not voting for him.

I was just trying to explain the rationale for why someone who supports Rubio or Cruz (especially Cruz, really) may prefer Trump over Hillary.  I'm done trying to explain the appeal of Trump.  I need a shower.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 04, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
You shouldn't say "#never" if you actually mean "ok but only in this incredibly likely circumstance."

that should have been #nevertrump.  sorry.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 04, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
To be fair, I think Rubio only tweeted that Trump "is a con artist and cannot be our nominee." So if you tweet that to #nevertrump, does that mean you're saying you won't vote for him in the general? I don't tweet, but I wasn't aware that tweeting to a group means you support it.

Or maybe he actually tweeted that he would never vote for trump in the general?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 04, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/the-problem-with-the-never-trump-movement

it's absolutely ridiculous.  the same day you have the last pub candidate delivering his magnus opus on why trump is the devil you have the party forcing it's other candidates to pledge to support him on natl tv.  it's hard to imagine a less competent political party.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 04, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
To be fair, I think Rubio only tweeted that Trump "is a con artist and cannot be our nominee." So if you tweet that to #nevertrump, does that mean you're saying you won't vote for him in the general? I don't tweet, but I wasn't aware that tweeting to a group means you support it.

i don't know what he tweeted.   just going by news stories.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 04, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
You shouldn't say "#never" if you actually mean "ok but only in this incredibly likely circumstance."

that should have been #nevertrump.  sorry.
noted.  and to your original point:

additional data often tends to be complicating.  i wish i hadn't been made aware of this.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 04, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/the-problem-with-the-never-trump-movement

it's absolutely ridiculous.  the same day you have the last pub candidate delivering his magnus opus on why trump is the devil you have the party forcing it's other candidates to pledge to support him on natl tv.  it's hard to imagine a less competent political party.

dick joke?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 04, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »

Yeah I probably wouldn't rely on that. I just did a quick Google search and found the actual tweet. Unless he tweeted some more.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: March 04, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »

Yeah I probably wouldn't rely on that. I just did a quick Google search and found the actual tweet. Unless he tweeted some more.

it's like trying to explain twitter to my mom

Donald Trump is a con artist — and he cannot be our nominee. #NeverTrump https://t.co/3ZYQZraCfNhttps://t.co/8wm9ToY7El
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) February 27, 2016

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 04, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »
Can't wait until someone asks for his girth certificate

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 04, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »
he actually used the hashtag in like 6 tweets that same day

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #1788 on: March 04, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 04, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
But that doesn't mean he supports it sd!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 04, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
You gotta be flexible. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »
I agree that Trump has been all over the board on a number of issues. But if my choice is the mystery box or the reliable liberal, felon, and awful human being, I'll take the mystery box.

Also :lol: at the idea that Hillary will be more fiscally conservative than Trump.

Finally, if Trump really wants to make Mexico pay for the wall - he actually can. Not sure what the trade consequences would be, but we absolutely have the leverage to make them pay for it.

Even if Mexico does pay for the wall (won't happen), it would take nearly $1 billion per year to maintain it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
the entire idea of the wall is so amazingly absurd. I'm posting this here instead of the wall thread because I don't want to ruin the awesome stuff the wall thread has going on.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
So Rubio is here in Wichita now, and Cruz & Drumpf are going to be here tomorrow.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 04, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

Finally, if Trump really wants to make Mexico pay for the wall - he actually can. Not sure what the trade consequences would be, but we absolutely have the leverage to make them pay for it.

It does concern me that to maintain his pride Trump would probably be willing to give up something like $20 billion worth of benefits to Mexico just so he can say he made them build a wall.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 04, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
the entire idea of the wall is so amazingly absurd. I'm posting this here instead of the wall thread because I don't want to ruin the awesome stuff the wall thread has going on.
And the wall isn't even number 1 most absurd thing as far as his immigration plan is concerned.  I think that distinction belongs to his plan to round up the illegals like we're the damn brownshirts and ship them south.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
And the wall isn't even number 1 most absurd thing as far as his immigration plan is concerned.  I think that distinction belongs to his plan to round up the illegals like we're the damn brownshirts and ship them south.

i thought part of his plan to force mexicans to pay for the wall was to confiscate remittance payments sent by illegal immigrants?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »

i thought part of his plan to force mexicans to pay for the wall was to confiscate remittance payments sent by illegal immigrants?

Everything's negotiable.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 04, 2016, 01:22:40 PM »
the wall just got two feet higher because you guys don't understand about the wall enough

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 04, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

Yeah he's not actually going to do that. This is probably what he told the NYT off the record and it's why he refuses to authorize the NYT to release the audio.

It's also why, as a politician, you should never treat off the record interviews like their actually off the record.