Author Topic: The Trump Candidacy  (Read 441437 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #1225 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
Bloomie will save us

Evidently there was a poll(in by Bloomberg media, lol) this week that asked if ppl would vote for him.  55% said no.

What percentage said yes?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Bloomie will save us

Evidently there was a poll(in by Bloomberg media, lol) this week that asked if ppl would vote for him.  55% said no.

Podcast that mentioned it didn't say.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 25, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
Bloomie will save us

Podcast that mentioned it didn't say.

If he's around 30% or so, he should definitely run. He wouldn't have to improve that much to win. Of course, the poll needs to be legitimate (maybe this one was :dunno:).

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »
If Trump or Cruz get the nomination, there will be a very large number of republicans who will be desperate to vote for someone besides Hillary. There are also always a good amount of independent voters who, like me, are probably dreading their choices right now.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 25, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
If Trump or Cruz get the nomination, there will be a very large number of republicans who will be desperate to vote for someone besides Hillary. There are also always a good amount of independent voters who, like me, are probably dreading their choices right now.

Same podcast I was listening to was saying this too.  They were giving an example of how more registered R's voted than registered D's in Colorado in the last election, yet Obama won the state.  They also noted how Millennials are much less likely to register to either party.  Their premise being that this race is most likely going to be decided by ppl that don't feel like they have a candidate right now.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »

The GOP base will fall in line behind Cruz - he'll do better than Romney in this regard - but he will have an independent problem. That doesn't mean he is unelectable. Hillary is a truly terrible candidate and the Dems are going to have serious turnout problems as these early primaries indicate.

If Trump is the nominee, I agree that some traditional GOP voters will stay home. Can't really say how many. But Trump is going to get a LOT of support from typical non-voters and crossover typical Dem voters - I think more than enough to make up the GOP support he loses. Again, the proof is in the primaries. Dem turnout is way down. GOP turnout is way up. At least part of that disparity is because folks who might ordinarily vote Dem are crossing over for Trump.

None of this is to say that Trump is my preferred candidate. But even with his sky high negatives, he would probably beat Hillary. People are underestimating just how angry a great many people are - not just conservatives - after eight years of Obama/Pelosi/Boehner/Reid/McConnell.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
Cruz has zero shot outside of the 20% of the party that is made up of the hardest core R's 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
I think someone already said this, but there is a difference between angry and stupid angry. Trump supporters are almost exclusively in the latter category.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 25, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »
I think someone already said this, but there is a difference between angry and stupid angry. Trump supporters are almost exclusively in the latter category.

There is a diff.  The diff is size.  There are a lot more stupid angry in the country than angry. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
Can Dem's vote in a republican primary in these races?  Are you saying independents are registering as 'pubs and voting in the primary?  I have a hard time believing that Trump is getting support from people who traditionally vote democrat.  Everyone on my FB that posts dumbass trump stuff are the same people that have posted Obama is the anti-christ stuff the past 8 years.  Maybe my evidence is anecdotal though so I'm wondering if you have actual numbers.  It seems like you are trying to blame democrats for the loon that republicans may nominate.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 25, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
Some primaries are open, but I think most you have to be registered with the party. I think Trump's support is coming from the far right mostly, but that it's not necessarily the same proportion you'd expect because a large number of newer voters do not register for either party and so do not participate in the primary.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »
Some primaries are open, but I think most you have to be registered with the party. I think Trump's support is coming from the far right mostly, but that it's not necessarily the same proportion you'd expect because a large number of newer voters do not register for either party and so do not participate in the primary.

Thats what I would think, but K-S-U keeps talking as though Trump has all this support from Democrats. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 25, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
trump fits very well with the blue-collar, white, unioney democrat.  that's a shrinking part of democratic demographics, but they still exist and still matter.

we also haven't seen trump in a general election.  who knows what how closely he'd hew to default republican positions.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 25, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
btw, the turnout numbers are indicative of nothing more than the fact that the crat primary is boring as hell and the pub primary is fun as hell.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/jolingkent/status/702877300929466369

Not sure if Luke'd but holy crap. Its kinda over already.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
the real problem is cruz is dropping off the table more than expected.  he needs to be able to win some delegates if he's gonna stay in the race.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1241 on: February 25, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
Can Dem's vote in a republican primary in these races?  Are you saying independents are registering as 'pubs and voting in the primary?  I have a hard time believing that Trump is getting support from people who traditionally vote democrat.  Everyone on my FB that posts dumbass trump stuff are the same people that have posted Obama is the anti-christ stuff the past 8 years.  Maybe my evidence is anecdotal though so I'm wondering if you have actual numbers.  It seems like you are trying to blame democrats for the loon that republicans may nominate.

My sample size is probably similar to yours, but no one that is even remotely Democrat in my social sphere has anything but contempt for Donald Trump, and most of the conservatives are open about their dislike of him.

I think that a large number of millennials and independents will probably go to the polls to vote against him if it comes to that, regardless of whether or not it's Bernie or Clinton.

I think you can say the same of Cruz to a degree.  The only Republican left with any chance of general election victory, in my opinion, is Rubio.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
All Dems hate Trump. Blue collar Dems vote with their labor unions.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 25, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
When the dust settles, D's will line up like cattle in the chute for the Hil.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »
When the dust settles, D's will line up like cattle in the chute for the Hil.

And then win the White House and the Senate  :love: :love: :love:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: February 25, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »
Probably not. 

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 25, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
the pubs need to get their crap together and try to remember where the middle is rather than applying this faux moral absolutism.

hell I would rather vote for Kasich than any Dem candidate because i believe he could actually get something done in an meaningful fashion.

no chance in hell that happens though

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 25, 2016, 03:19:45 PM »
In a perfect world, we'd probably just call this thing quits right now and give the thing to Kasich. that won't happen though because of how batcrap crazy the majority of republicans are. is it too late for Kasich to switch and start running as a dem? probably, huh?

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: February 25, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
In a perfect world, we'd probably just call this thing quits right now and give the thing to Kasich. that won't happen though because of how batcrap crazy the majority of republicans are. is it too late for Kasich to switch and start running as a dem? probably, huh?

Kasich wouldnt win the Dem nomination either. He is a good politician without a party to lead. there really needs to be a third party that is like centrist. Maybe we should just change our system to a parliamentary system. multiple parties work great there.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 25, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »
...he could actually get something done in an meaningful fashion.

Never could figure this argument out..."get something done..."

Democrats want YUUUUGE government controlling everything.

Republicans want small government letting people control themselves.

So why is half way between those two divergent paths the best way forward?