Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232725 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #575 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Anyone read Malcolm Gladwell's "David and Goliath" ?
it's just ok. i read "blink" first and his other books have been kinda disappointing. you'll learn some interesting stuff that's fun to talk about over beers.
Hmm. I really liked Tipping Point and Outliers a lot too. Haven't read D&G though.
:adios:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 03, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I have a new paper white because my OG kindle got smashed in my suitcase and the screen wigged out. I've read online that amazon will replace your kindle for almost any reason though so I'm going to give that a whirl to have a spare. The paper white is amazing, tho.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Reading "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.  Saw the movie based on this a few years ago, but the the book definitely has me by the balls and/or vag.

Good book.   Also like the John Krakauer books.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
I have a new paper white because my OG kindle got smashed in my suitcase and the screen wigged out. I've read online that amazon will replace your kindle for almost any reason though so I'm going to give that a whirl to have a spare. The paper white is amazing, tho.

the paperwhite is a big upgrade over the regular kindle?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #579 on: December 03, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »

It's pretty great. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 04, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »

yes, it's worth it imo. the built in lighting is uniform and very easy on the eyes. no glare. no need for a lamp at night. very responsive touch screen. only thing I had to get used to is not touching the screen while reading. I had become used to doing this with my old kindle. but, it was only bothersome for a week or so.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
A paperwhite is now on my Christmas wish list.

Offline big e z

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
For those that enjoyed the Reacher novels (Lee Child) and Harry Bosch series (Michael Connelly), try John Sandford, both the Lucas Davenport series and the Virgil Flowers books. Also liked David Baldacci Camel Club series and King and Maxwell books. Just started in on Harlan Coben. Read the Myron Bolitar books, thought they were OK.
Another light read that's pretty good is Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
For those that enjoyed the Reacher novels (Lee Child) and Harry Bosch series (Michael Connelly), try John Sandford, both the Lucas Davenport series and the Virgil Flowers books. Also liked David Baldacci Camel Club series and King and Maxwell books. Just started in on Harlan Coben. Read the Myron Bolitar books, thought they were OK.
Another light read that's pretty good is Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.

I have not heard of any of that

Offline big e z

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 05, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »
Yeah, they are definitely more light and low-brow than the "classics" people were talking about earlier in the thread. I thought I'd bring them up since lee childs and michael connelly were mentioned on page 22

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 05, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I have a Nook HD + and it's an ok tablet. I don't ever use it unless I feel like reading a book on it. I use my smartphone for everything else mobile.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Online jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 09, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »
Kindle sale today on amazon. :whistle1:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 09, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
Anyone read Malcolm Gladwell's "David and Goliath" ?
it's just ok. i read "blink" first and his other books have been kinda disappointing. you'll learn some interesting stuff that's fun to talk about over beers.

just started d&g. seemed interesting.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
Almost done with The Name of the Wind.  I like it.   It's in the fantasy genre.  I've been really headlong down this path since reading the Game of Thrones series a few years ago.  It's strangely satisfying.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 10, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
picked up foucaults  pendulum

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
Almost done with The Name of the Wind.  I like it.   It's in the fantasy genre.  I've been really headlong down this path since reading the Game of Thrones series a few years ago.  It's strangely satisfying.

I'm really into it too Pete.  I am currently reading American Gods.  It's okay.  You should really, really read Joe Abercrombie's First Law books.  They are legitimately outstanding, particularly if you like GoTs.  The initial trilogy is great (you have to start here), but the best imo is The Heroes.  eff that is a great read.  You'll burn right through them and then be all sad that there aren't more.  Do it!
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »

I'm really into it too Pete.  I am currently reading American Gods.  It's okay.  You should really, really read Joe Abercrombie's First Law books.  They are legitimately outstanding, particularly if you like GoTs.  The initial trilogy is great (you have to start here), but the best imo is The Heroes.  eff that is a great read.  You'll burn right through them and then be all sad that there aren't more.  Do it!

I bought the first Abercrombie a couple weeks ago.  May try it next.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

I will definitely read them, thanks!

I have also recently read the Brandon Sanderson "Mistborn" trilogy, and the Brent Weeks "Night Angel" trilogy.  They were both enjoyable, but cannot hold a candle to GoTs. Night Angle is a bit better if you like more physical action, and Mistborn is better if you like creative and novel magical theories.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 10, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

I bought the first Abercrombie a couple weeks ago.  May try it next.

CNS do yourself a giant-sized favor and dig the eff in.  They're great, friend!
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 10, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
Bread, will do.  I bought it based off of this thread and your earlier mention. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

I have also recently read the Brandon Sanderson "Mistborn" trilogy, and the Brent Weeks "Night Angel" trilogy.  They were both enjoyable, but cannot hold a candle to GoTs. Night Angle is a bit better if you like more physical action, and Mistborn is better if you like creative and novel magical theories.

At first you won't really be impressed, but then when you start to see how well he writes personalities and dialogue/inner monologue, you'll be all "Oh man, excellent! :excited:"  There is also violence and complex political intrigue/scheming just like GoT, plus magic type stuff.  The violence is better described, more vivid than GRRM does it.  Dark adult stuff for sure.  I'm excited for you.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
Bread, will do.  I bought it based off of this thread and your earlier mention.

It's really easy to get invested in his characters if you stick with it a bit. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

At first you won't really be impressed, but then when you start to see how well he writes personalities and dialogue/inner monologue, you'll be all "Oh man, excellent! :excited:"  There is also violence and complex political intrigue/scheming just like GoT, plus magic type stuff.  The violence is better described, more vivid than GRRM does it.  Dark adult stuff for sure.  I'm excited for you.

adorbs :D

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
Man, I just started the Patrick Rothfuss "Name of the Wind" trilogy, and am contemplating putting it down on moving on to the Abercrombie stuff.   That's not really my style, though.  I like to pound through the entire series before I move on to another one.   This is a pickle.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
Man, I just started the Patrick Rothfuss "Name of the Wind" trilogy, and am contemplating putting it down on moving on to the Abercrombie stuff.   That's not really my style, though.  I like to pound through the entire series before I move on to another one.   This is a pickle.

The internet tells me he hasn't finished writing the third book and won't even say when it will be out. :dunno:

When will book 3 be out?

Rest assured, as I promised for book 2, when there is news about book 3, I will pass it along.  I don’t glean joy from withholding information; when there’s news, I’ll tell you.   

Coast is clear.