Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230025 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #550 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
does anyone read the Alex Cross- Patterson series? picked up one a few weeks ago at the airport and cant get into it. also isnt that the movie that like ice cub acted in??
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 07, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
does anyone read the Alex Cross- Patterson series? picked up one a few weeks ago at the airport and cant get into it. also isnt that the movie that like ice cub acted in??

whoops, tyler perry.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

whoops, tyler perry.

:lol:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
i just watched kiss the girls and along came a spider this week.

never read any of the books tho  ;)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
I'm reading Steven Pressfield's The War of Art currently. It's basically his self-help book for aspiring artist, so I don't know why I'm reading it, but it is interesting.

Have you read any of his other stuff other than Gates of Fire?  If so, what and would recommend?

I have not read any of his other work. The Legend of Bagger Vance, Gates of Fire and The Virtues of War are all on my reading list. I'm planning on picking one to read over winter break when I don't have any required reading for school.

I would suggest stop reading the self-help one right now and immediately begin reading Gates of Fire instead.  Very enjoyable. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #555 on: November 07, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »
MadAddam trilogy?  Not very good...

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

MadAddam trilogy?  Not very good...

Damnit. Just started.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 07, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Just started "The Name of the Wind." Really cool so far.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 07, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
I'm reading "Particle at the end of the Universe" now. It's difficult to follow at times.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 07, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
maybe luked but anyone read The Book Thief? Fantastic.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
Anyone read Malcolm Gladwell's "David and Goliath" ?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
Just starting The Three Musketeers.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Infinite Jest is so good. I've reread the first half and am back in new territory.

Thinking Fast and Slow is also pretty good. They cited a paper saying there is no such thing as a hot streak in basketball - what we perceive as streaks are statistically random.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
Reading "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.  Saw the movie based on this a few years ago, but the the book definitely has me by the balls and/or vag.
:adios:

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
Infinite Jest is so good. I've reread the first half and am back in new territory.

Thinking Fast and Slow is also pretty good. They cited a paper saying there is no such thing as a hot streak in basketball - what we perceive as streaks are statistically random.
I think I am going to try and read Infinite Jest this Winter.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
Anyone read Malcolm Gladwell's "David and Goliath" ?
it's just ok. i read "blink" first and his other books have been kinda disappointing. you'll learn some interesting stuff that's fun to talk about over beers.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »

Do you have a kindle? I wish I had it on a kindle because of the endnotes. Of course I have three bookmarks so it isn't too bad.

Slightly OT - should I get a kindle? I like the library because I'm cheap, but it's hard to take books like Infinite Jest with me everywhere.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

Do you have a kindle? I wish I had it on a kindle because of the endnotes. Of course I have three bookmarks so it isn't too bad.

Slightly OT - should I get a kindle? I like the library because I'm cheap, but it's hard to take books like Infinite Jest with me everywhere.
Yes I do. You can rent books through most libraries with a kindle as well. If you are going to be carrying your Kindle around with you a lot be prepared for it to  break one day.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 03, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
If you are going to be carrying your Kindle around with you a lot be prepared for it to  break one day.

well that's kind of a rough ridin' conundrum now isn't it

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »

Do you have a kindle? I wish I had it on a kindle because of the end notes. Of course I have three bookmarks so it isn't too bad.

So, here is the one kindle flaw.  I have the HD Fire as well as an old school original.  Both of them sync to the Amazon cloud acct.  My smart phone does as well.  The way all the devices you use to read any one book sync to the cloud is by reporting what the furthest point you have read to is.  So, when you tap the end note number, it takes you to the back of the book where the end notes are.  So, then you sync, and boom, Amazon cloud syncs as if you have read the entire book back to whatever that end note was making it a huge pain to pick up the smart phone and read when you find a chance.  Also, usually, when you click the end note, you can read it and hit the back button to go back to where you were in the story.  However, often, the back button backs you out of the book all together and not back to the correct place in the story.

Then, guess what, you open the book back up again, and it acts like you have read they whole damn thing and takes you to the middle of the end notes.  You end up having to remember what page or "location" you end at every time you stop reading then tell the next device you happen to pick the book back up on what page or location to go to. 

Not a huge deal, just a little bit of a pain in the ass.  Especially on big books.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 03, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
If you are going to be carrying your Kindle around with you a lot be prepared for it to  break one day.

In the last two yrs, I have read probably close to a third of every book I have read during that time period on my amazon app on my phone while waiting for something(kids soccer practice, customers to show up for meetings, oil changes, etc). 

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 03, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »

I should add that I use the original and don't have a case or anything. They are shockingly small (or at least seemed that way when I got it like 5 years ago.)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 03, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

I should add that I use the original and don't have a case or anything. They are shockingly small (or at least seemed that way when I got it like 5 years ago.)

I have a case that has a built in reading light for my original.  I still prefer using it when I know I will be reading and not bbs'n and reading.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »
Reading "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.  Saw the movie based on this a few years ago, but the the book definitely has me by the balls and/or vag.

I have read the book but not yet seen the movie   :D    I'm glad there was a glossary of all the mountain climbing terms used.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

I have read the book but not yet seen the movie   :D    I'm glad there was a glossary of all the mountain climbing terms used.

Should have just taken GEOG 600 (best class at KSU? Maybe) with Dr. Kevin Blake and you would have known most of them already! :D
:adios: