Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230117 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #425 on: April 19, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it ben ji! 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
I got bored with Sotweed Factor. It kind of reminded me of Confederacy of Dunces but didn't quite grab me after 250 pages or so.

Any good modern fiction?

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
I just listened to the World War Z audiobook. It was pretty good with a full cast of voices. But it seems like it is going to take a lot of adaptation to make it into a movie with a comprehensive storyline.

Loved the book but I just know they will butcher the movie. IIRC it has been in "Development" for like 2 years now....FIGURE IT OUT BRAD PITT  :shakesfist:
Yeah there's no way the movie will be able to encompass even a quarter of the stories told in the book. One of those that should've just been left alone :facepalm:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
I just listened to the World War Z audiobook. It was pretty good with a full cast of voices. But it seems like it is going to take a lot of adaptation to make it into a movie with a comprehensive storyline.

Loved the book but I just know they will butcher the movie. IIRC it has been in "Development" for like 2 years now....FIGURE IT OUT BRAD PITT  :shakesfist:
Yeah there's no way the movie will be able to encompass even a quarter of the stories told in the book. One of those that should've just been left alone :facepalm:

Or done as a tv series? (haven't read, but maybe!)

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
KState common book for next year's incoming fresmen is Ready Player One. Anyone read it?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #430 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
I got bored with Sotweed Factor. It kind of reminded me of Confederacy of Dunces but didn't quite grab me after 250 pages or so.

Any good modern fiction?
Sounds like Nicholas Sparks might be more your speed. :mean:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
hey chingon, what is it like to read and yet still be so simple minded?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #432 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »

Any good modern fiction?
Sounds like Nicholas Sparks might be more your speed. :mean:

It was really very funny and the dialogue was great. Just took too long to go anywhere. I may try it again sometime.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #433 on: April 19, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
Dunno Kim why don't you tell me.

Ooh burn.  Ice burn. Cold blooded.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 19, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Dunno Kim why don't you tell me.

Ooh burn.  Ice burn. Cold blooded.

i couldn't tell you.  my question was serious.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 29, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
KState common book for next year's incoming freshmen is Ready Player One. Anyone read it?

Hey real life friend. I was just about to ask the same question!    me--> :cool:  :cool: <--you Comes highly recommended to me from a friend but I've never been into much that could be seen as Sci Fi'y. Thoughts, buddies?

Also, one of the best books I have ever read is Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. One of the worst books I have ever read is his follow-up, which came out last year, The Marriage Plot. Highly disappointing considering how brilliant its predecessor was.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
KState common book for next year's incoming freshmen is Ready Player One. Anyone read it?

Hey real life friend. I was just about to ask the same question!    me--> :cool:  :cool: <--you Comes highly recommended to me from a friend but I've never been into much that could be seen as Sci Fi'y. Thoughts, buddies?

Also, one of the best books I have ever read is Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. One of the worst books I have ever read is his follow-up, which came out last year, The Marriage Plot. Highly disappointing considering how brilliant its predecessor was.

My mom read Middlesex.  She reads a lot of Oprah book club books.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 29, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
I have read three and they have all been fantastic. (Not joking.) Also, KK. You are, like, from Detroit or something. Are you trying to tell me you haven't read Middlesex???
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
i'm one of the people that read The Great Gatsby last week  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:07:49 PM by emawblast »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
i've one of the people that read The Great Gatsby last week  :embarrassed:

I had to read it for high school. I didn't really like it then, but I'd probably like it more if I read it today. :dunno:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »

I had to read it for high school. I didn't really like it then, but I'd probably like it more if I read it today. :dunno:

yep, same. didn't really pay attention to it when it was required reading (shocker), but it's a quick read and good.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
seems like an odd "required reading" book. I just kinda thought it was an OK story. And the ending when everyone dies was sloppy writing IMO.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
I read it in high school too. I wanna go see the movie, but my friends want to read the book first.  :frown:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
Anyone else get shocked at the books their wife's hayseed school didn't make them read?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 13, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
Anyone else get shocked at the books their wife's hayseed school didn't make them read?

yes, all of them

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 13, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »

Same.  Went back and read it again about 5 yrs ago.  I liked it quite a bit.  Not deep, but a good read.

Also, it's a good idea to give several of the hated HS required reads a second look.  Used to absolutely hate Stienbeck in HS, but he is one of my favs now.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 13, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
Read a book about some chick who's uncle runs Scientology and she was raised in the church's ridiculous organization before bolting in her 20s.  Really, not as shocking as I'd hoped.  Pretty much shrugged the whole time going "Well, that's one thing that batshit insane people might do"

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
Read a book about some chick who's uncle runs Scientology and she was raised in the church's ridiculous organization before bolting in her 20s.  Really, not as shocking as I'd hoped.  Pretty much shrugged the whole time going "Well, that's one thing that batshit insane people might do"

Really hoping Libby or the other recently escaped Phelps daughters does this.  Would probably be pretty interesting/disturbing.  Would make them some dece money now that their family has disowned them. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »

Really hoping Libby or the other recently escaped Phelps daughters does this.  Would probably be pretty interesting/disturbing.  Would make them some dece money now that their family has disowned them. 

It seems interesting but now that I've read this one, I don't know what the point is.  I mean, what in that book is really going to surprise you?