Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232815 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Tale of Two Cities is so frustrating. I've read 75% of it, had no idea what was going on at any point, but just loved the prose. Would read lines that made me put the book down and just think about how beautiful and perfect Dickens' analogies were. But yeah, no idea what was happening page to page.
oh man jakesie.  great post.  completely agreed re. Dickens' prose.  but TOTC is an incredible story too. it probably helps to have a little knowledge about the french revolution.  Sydney is my favorite character in any piece of literature.  i think i'm going to name my son (if i have one) Sydney, after old Sid Carton.

i've been battling through david copperfield over the last year or so whenever i've had time.  the story isn't near as good as TOTC, but it's just great writing.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »
Bleak house is really good too fwiw

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
Just finished Blindness by Jose Saramango.  Really good, a bit tough to start with the style with no quotation marks and very long sentences, but it helps set the mood.  If possible read it with no spoilers from the outside.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Bleak house is really good too fwiw

i was about to buy that the other day but it looked really long and i hadn't heard anyone say anything good about it except for the back cover, which called it "Dickens' 'masterpiece.'"  But David Copperfield said the exact same thing.

I'll take your word for it though.  That'll be my next one.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
It is a tough one initially.  There are like 40 characters or something.  But like his others, a good payoff if you finish.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
Finished the rules of attraction last night... The movie was better.

Oh crap, BEE :love:!!!  Less than zero? American psycho? :excited:

The movie was very good.  I bought it after I saw it.  It really reaffirms my view of life.

So snorting coke, torture, mutilation and murder really speak to you, Bread? That fits.

That's not what The Rules of Attraction is about, other than the coke snorting.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

The movie was very good.  I bought it after I saw it.  It really reaffirms my view of life.

AP is one of my faves, read it twice.  Had to read glamorama in college, and BEE is definitely fantastic.

Going to read brave new world and then maybe less than zero.   There is a book on columbine that I'm eying as well.

Less than zero is a good one.  Recommend.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

So snorting coke, torture, mutilation and murder really speak to you, Bread? That fits.

sadly, the best "chapter" is patricks.  i was so psyched about it and reading it in bale's voice that i had to immediately read it again.

rock n' roll.  deal with it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 31, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
The Wolf of Wall Street.

Frat Boy / Jew / Baller / Womanizer / Addict......type of book.

Read it in 3 days. Pretty hilarious. Just saw they are making a move starring Leo D on it.

Would recommend.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »

Maybe she's one of those people who think that if you do drugs, you support all of those other things. Do you remember those old commercials?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »

want a good cry?  read "A Happy Mrriage" by Rafael Yglesias

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #336 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
Just finished Blindness by Jose Saramango.  Really good, a bit tough to start with the style with no quotation marks and very long sentences, but it helps set the mood.  If possible read it with no spoilers from the outside.

Did you read it in Portuguese? Not being uppity, just wondered. I tried and caved. Was too much to process in a non-native language (as you described).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #337 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »
Also, you all should quit screwing around and just read Eco #teamchingon
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
Ready Player One will be the freshman book for KSU next year and it is apparently quite good.  Also short.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 02, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »

what's a good one to start with?

I'm wanting to go on a good non-fiction kick. So much interesting stuff has happened in the world.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #340 on: January 02, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »

Did you read it in Portuguese? Not being uppity, just wondered. I tried and caved. Was too much to process in a non-native language (as you described).
Read it in English.  After about the first three pages it seems natural and helps with the claustrophobic effect.  I am thinking about Cain next.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #341 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

I'm wanting to go on a good non-fiction kick. So much interesting stuff has happened in the world.
I would say Foucault's pendulum or name of the rose first.  F C is my fave, but name of the rose is maybe better for people just starting eco (not that he's hard to read but FC has a challenging start on purpose that turns some readers off of Eco)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 02, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
What if we just thought Name of the Rose was slightly abv avg?  Would the other pendulum one be something to read?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 02, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
Ready Player One will be the freshman book for KSU next year and it is apparently quite good.  Also short.

It's a quick read. I liked it, but it's not exactly fine literature.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 02, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »

It's a quick read. I liked it, but it's not exactly fine literature.

yeah.  i wouldn't think so.

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
Try Endurance...amazing true story of an Antarctic exploration that totally went to crap, and the survival journey across the ice and brutal stormy seas. Really amazing and pretty well written. Pictures too!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #346 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:15 AM »

I would say Foucault's pendulum or name of the rose first.  F C is my fave, but name of the rose is maybe better for people just starting eco (not that he's hard to read but FC has a challenging start on purpose that turns some readers off of Eco)

Completely agree. Pendulum is better, Rose is more accessible (but even then the first 80 pages or so are intentionally challenging). I would almost recommend Baudolino. I think michcat would really enjoy it.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2013, 01:20:30 AM »
Serious post, my friends. Best baseball book? I used to say "Three Nights In August" by Tony LaRussa, or Kahn's "Boys of Summer." Tony's book for my greatest love about baseball--dugout strategy. Kahn's book for pure classic writing about baseball.

Now reading Tony's "One Last Srike." With 100 pages left, I suspect my award will likely go to "Boys of Summer." Not a current list read, but one of the best pieces of sportswriting I've ever seen. Could read it many times over.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »

Completely agree. Pendulum is better, Rose is more accessible (but even then the first 80 pages or so are intentionally challenging). I would almost recommend Baudolino. I think michcat would really enjoy it.

Currently reading "A Bright Shining Lie". So far, so good. I'll give Eco a try next. Maybe alternate fiction and non fiction.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2013, 05:35:29 AM »

Currently reading "A Bright Shining Lie". So far, so good. I'll give Eco a try next. Maybe alternate fiction and non fiction.

Eco is a nice mix of the two genres. Especially baudolino. It would appeal to your cynical hipster side.